The Ørjan Nyland Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Ørjan Nyland Thread

Jake Findlay was a good backup keeper back in the day.
Surely this Spanish lad can't be as bad as Nyland
If the Spanish lad you are referring to is Moreira, who is Potuguese, well he looked even worse when he played in the cup, might as well have grabbed a bloke from the stands instead of him. Doesn’t say much for our scouting system that we bought 2 keepers and they are both rubbish

I have to say its the keeper that has to inspire your defence not the other way around and I was a keeper myself for many moons.

Nyland has dropped a lot of clangers but lads he has mad some insane saves. I really think the guy just needs more time and realistically he doesnt have that but he will come good. The mistakes will dry up eventually and we'll have a pretty insane reflex keeper on our hands. Sheff Utd could have had how many goals? Reading could have beaten us and look there is no doubt Nyland has cost us games but there is a goalkeeper of some quality in there.

I agree. The Sheffield & Reading games prove he has talent. Also against Derby he pulled off a top notch save and kept a clean sheet. Last night he failed the near post goalie rule. But with them walking through our midfield we are hardly protecting him ?? Give him until January and let DS decide ........

He's not exactly a young up and coming keeper he's at an age where he should be at his peak and if this is his peak we are in deep shite.
With the higher line Deano wants us to play he has to be lightening quick off his line and he isn't . Once the ball clears Chester it has to be his

How many points has this non-keeper cost us now. Albion's second 'goal' was down to him 'flapping' again. He seems to be 'un-dropable'.
Such a pity as it was another impressive team performance.
Regards,
G.T.

I thought it was just nerves at first but looks now that he’s just not good enough and never will be.

I thought it was just nerves at first but looks now that he’s just not good enough and never will be.

I remember after the first game Carson played I said he was shite and got dogs abuse on here. People telling me he'll get better as he's only young etc. This is a similar situation only this one is 27? and his nerves are shot. Get rid now and bring in Heaton if he wants to come. The only thing that worries me about Heaton is he's being kept out by Joe Hart who has gone right off the boil the last 2 years

I remember after the first game Carson played I said he was shite and got dogs abuse on here. People telling me he'll get better as he's only young etc. This is a similar situation only this one is 27? and his nerves are shot. Get rid now and bring in Heaton if he wants to come. The only thing that worries me about Heaton is he's being kept out by Joe Hart who has gone right off the boil the last 2 years

Carson's doing OK at Derby (who are above us), 57 :grinning:

Nyland wasn't responsible for second goal last night. Rodriguez crashed his way through two of our defenders and handballed twice; that's how the goal came about.

Having said that, Nyland is a bit of a mixture, and ideally we need somebody better. Not at all sure that Heaton is.

Carson's doing OK at Derby (who are above us), 57 :grinning:

Nyland wasn't responsible for second goal last night. Rodriguez crashed his way through two of our defenders and handballed twice; that's how the goal came about.

Having said that, Nyland is a bit of a mixture, and ideally we need somebody better. Not at all sure that Heaton is.

Sorry mate but he was, he's a wimp, a good keeper would have taken their player, the ball and Axle out. He's 6ft 3 and built like a pencil. He looks like a rabbit in the headlights even when he's just fielding simple stuff.
Shilton should have taken out Maradonna as well the fat lump but that's another story.

Villa 57......spot on. Any goalkeeper who wants to earn his living as a professional has to dominate his goal area. Nyland has never once done this. Get rid as soon as possible ( January ).
Regards,
G.T.

Thought Carson was pretty good till he played for England to be fair. And even after that I can't remember him making any bad mistakes. We were right not to sign him though. As for Nyland, get rid ASAP. Not good enough unfortunately.

I see a lot of similarities between a young Guzan and Nyland. I seem to remember this young bald Friedel lookalike getting a bit of airtime during europa league and europa league games and thinking his all round goalkeeping game is terrible but he can pull off a good save. Everything else from kicking to catching crosses, to organising the defence needed work on.

Guzman half got there eventually through being in the right place at the right time - Lerber didn’t want to spend money. He did a job but he was never a good keeper.

Nyland is a good shot stopper I think when his confidence is there. His distritbuion isn’t too bad I guess, as the modern day keeper has had to become as good a passer as a defender. Everything else though needs a lot of work, and do we have the time to give him the rest of this season, next preseason and into next season to find out if he did have potential? No. Buy Heaton tomorrow, as we can’t afford for this squad to break up (and the loans go back) with a keeper costing us points.

Disappointingly, he doesn't appear to have the physique, presence or confidence to dominate his area and be a successful keeper at this level. I expect he will have until January to improve.

However, slagging him off constantly on here is not for me. I will get behind the lad (not literally:wagging:) and give him my encouragement in the hope that his confidence improves before he is replaced.

I fully expect competition for the goalkeepers jersey to be on Dean Smiths list. That could mean bringing back Steer or signing another keeper. Nothing can be done about it before Jan if the management feel we don't currently have a better option. Bunn and Moriera would not appear to be thought of as improvements. I for one wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

By the way, I'd be suprised if many goalkeepers could flatten a forward the stature of Rodriguez, who was moving towards him at speed, from a standing start. Harsh to blame him for the double handball IMO.

Last edited: