The Ørjan Nyland Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Ørjan Nyland Thread

Sorry mate but let's not get carried away with Steer he's currently a bench warmer for the mighty Charlton Athletic, he can't even get a game there

Well that just sums up the new guy then doesn’t it... genuine debate as to whether he’s better than a league 1 sub keeper

Last edited:
maybe we should have signed the Charlton 1st choice keeper.

(Altho I suppose if you look at most of our loans to give Bruces rejects playing time then most don't seem to be actually playing so far)

Well that just sums up the new guy then doesn’t it... genuine debate as to whether he’s better than a league 1 sub keeper

Like a lot of our players, they tend to get better than they actually are when they are loaned out or are Injured. When in fact nobody had a good word to say about them when they were here at Villa and available to play.

Then nyland needs dropping and play Moreiera and Bunn on bench . Nyland needs proper assessing to see if he can play at this level

Then nyland needs dropping and play Moreiera and Bunn on bench . Nyland needs proper assessing to see if he can play at this level

I don't disagree, this bloke looks slow off his line, hesitates and lack confidence.
I think we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future though

Give Nyland time. It struck me from his interview he's a sensible bloke and a strong character. He made a mistake in his first game and he made a couple more yesterday but he's also pulled off a string of remarkable saves. It's hard enough coming in when it's a good defence in front of you, let alone a shambles. He's not our main problem. That lies in front of him. Gary Walsh is a good goalkeeping coach; that'll help.

Bruce mentioned a couple of circus acts in his post match.

Nothing like building up players confidence. Especially if new to the club or playing in an unfamiliar role which he is requiring them to play.

Bruce mentioned a couple of circus acts in his post match.

Nothing like building up players confidence. Especially if new to the club or playing in an unfamiliar role which he is requiring them to play.

Totally agree. This is the worst thing for me. I don't mind him picking a team of reserves for the Burton match, but the rant afterwards where he blamed everyone apart from himself was pretty shameful. And then the circus acts comment this time.
If you were deliberately trying to alienate the entire squad, this is how you'd go about it.

3rd goal against Sheff Utd. was a travesty from a goalkeeping perspective. That said, with a shambles of a defence in front of him, and getting off to a ropey start it’s a recipe for disaster. There’s no authority in the box.

It reminds me of when Given was signed and we seemed to concede from every set-piece - a keeper with no faith of what’s in front of him and a defence with no faith that the man behind them will collect the balls he should. Everyone starts panicking and trying to get to things they shouldn’t leading to soft goals time after time.

The guy needs time to settle, he also needs a defence worth the name in front of him. Chester is supposed to be captain - take control and organise at the back!

So he'll take some time to move up from World Cup football?

I didn't expect a silly comment like that from you McP.
World Cup football is once every four years and just how many players, who do brilliantly in that competition, then go on to be complete knobs in whatever league they play in.
Nyland has played European style football all his career, so it will take him a time to adjust to the English game.
Plus, as several have pointed out, the world's best keepers would struggle behind what we laughingly call a defence.

3rd goal against Sheff Utd. was a travesty from a goalkeeping perspective. That said, with a shambles of a defence in front of him, and getting off to a ropey start it’s a recipe for disaster. There’s no authority in the box.
He should have organised a two-man wall to cover the near post for the 3rd. As it was El Ghazi was on his own in a 'wall' first of all turning his back to the striker and then sheepishly turning to face him. At no point did Nyland communicate with him to position him or attempt to summon reinforcements. As you say McGrath4Pope a travesty.

I didn't expect a silly comment like that from you McP.
World Cup football is once every four years and just how many players, who do brilliantly in that competition, then go on to be complete knobs in whatever league they play in.
Nyland has played European style football all his career, so it will take him a time to adjust to the English game.
Plus, as several have pointed out, the world's best keepers would struggle behind what we laughingly call a defence.

Just pointing out he must have something :grinning:

Agree with you. There's a lack of authority in front of him. Jedinak doesn't seem to work with Chester, and so on. Not sure they'd listen to Nyland. With Terry in there it would be totally different. We have a back line of 4 individuals of whom Tuanzebe and Jedinak seem to do their own thing while Chester and Hutton try to compensate.

Daft thing about ditching Elphick is that although he makes the odd mistake he does know how to organise a defence.