The Oh's versus the O's | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Oh's versus the O's

In all honesty Jock, when I was playing (a long time ago, I know, and to a lesser standard I accept) I hated to have a crowded box. The fewer players in front of me the more chance I had that I could see a path to the ball and less chance that the ball would ricochet around like a bloody ping pong ball off players legs.

I would always get the manager to move a couple of players with pace, usually the two smallest guys on the pitch, outside the box, one mid way to the half way line and the other on the centre spot. This always encouraged the opposition to think and often confused them into panicking a little as it was not something that every team did.

I'm not saying it actually prevented the opposition from scoring if they got the delivery right but it did get us a few breakaway goals when we were able to clear the ball quickly.

Would those two small players you mention be Jimmy Johnstone & Dixie Dean or were they alot younger than you 🤔😉😂

Modern coaches. That’s the way they want to play. And they all try to copy

TBH WBL the coaching does actually work. If you crowd the box then it prevents the keeper from getting to the ball and, in fairness, takes away the advantage of height and reach that a keeper has by being allowed to handle the ball.

Without a player or players standing in the way a keeper should take any ball that comes into the box.

I usually get to my seat about 25-30 minutes before the game to watch the warm ups and can't believe that the way keepers warm up has not really changed over the years. They are still getting balls knocked into the box for them to take unchallenged, which never replicates match conditions.

The only differences I see are that balls hit at them from a coach directly in front of them are parried and punched more often than taken firmly into the midriff as I was always coached to do. Had I parried a ball downwards and then collected it I would have had the gloves taken off me and told were to go in no uncertain terms by my manager.

Would those two small players you mention be Jimmy Johnstone & Dixie Dean or were they alot younger than you 🤔😉😂

Cheeky bugger. Have some respect for your elders. ;);)

Edit:
Funnily enough I played with two players whose surnames were the same, unfortunately neither were as quick or skilful as the ones you mention.

Maloney went public a few weeks ago and stated he won't be changing the system or tactics, why do you think fans (me included) are dithering over season ticket renewal for next season?
Well I for one hope he doesn't change. We're getting better at it ... slowly maybe, but still, we're definitely getting better. Quicker too. We just need to play with our head ups a little more and make better decisions. Next season will be summat to look forward to.

As for this season ... amazing, isn't it? Our home form. Bloody disgraceful.

1710081100569.png

Well I for one hope he doesn't change. We're getting better at it ... slowly maybe, but still, we're definitely getting better. Quicker too. We just need to play with our head ups a little more and make better decisions. Next season will be summat to look forward to.

As for this season ... amazing, isn't it? Our home form. Bloody disgraceful.

View attachment 72044

It is quite suprising to that 6 home loses translated into the 4th best home record.

Last time we were in L1 we had 5 loses at home and which was only the 8th best home form.

Just one last time for folk like Runc that don't seem to be getting it.

Maloney went public a few weeks ago and stated he won't be changing the system or tactics, why do you think fans (me included) are dithering over season ticket renewal for next season?

No way am I spending my hard earned to watch that shite again next season, incidentally there were a few more faces missing around us yesterday in ES5, looks like they've given up already.
I for one hope you do save your hard earned 😉

TBH Jeff, I am perplexed as to the reason we don't leave a man up at all times. They would surely have to bring a man back to cover him and therefore it just evens up in the box but would give us the option to break when we clear the ball.
I've been perplexed about this since Jewell started it in the premier league. If we leave a man up, the opposition will then have to leave 2 at the back.

Next season just open two stands the South for home fans and North for away fans.

Enjoy!
Hopefully we have a good run in and we can pray for the chance of some other club to come and head hunt Maloney then we don't have to endure his crappy football for another season.

I've seen a few people talk about if they want to renew their season ticket based on this season which of course is their perogative.

But I'd say at the end of the season all sanctions are lifted and all of the expensive deadwood will be gone freeing up funds. Maloney is going to pretty much end up with a squad exclusively of his own signing and he's said himself the aim is to be challenging next season. So the expectation is clearly performances and results must improve and if they do everyone will be happy. If they don't there's no excuses and he'll probably not last long.

I completely get being underwhelmed by this season but i think it's still worth renewing as it'll either get better with Maloney or there will be a new manager brought in. Either way I think things are going to be different next season.

As frustrating as this season has been and as much as I think we've under performed - we have endured far worse in recent years. The last few Championship relegation seasons were larely abysmal and I lost the will to live watching us in the admin season until we had a little run at the end to save ourselves.

For perspective as much of a car crash last season was for us we finished on 39 points, 10 points from safety after 6 points taken off. By contrast Rotherham (Richardson's side) have just lost 9 in a row, including back to back 5-0 loses in their last two games. They are on just 19 points, 20 points from safety. That is absolutely soul crushingly brutal - their fans must be on suicide watch. We definitely aren't that bad!

I've seen a few people talk about if they want to renew their season ticket based on this season which of course is their perogative.

But I'd say at the end of the season all sanctions are lifted and all of the expensive deadwood will be gone freeing up funds. Maloney is going to pretty much end up with a squad exclusively of his own signing and he's said himself the aim is to be challenging next season. So the expectation is clearly performances and results must improve and if they do everyone will be happy. If they don't there's no excuses and he'll probably not last long.

I completely get being underwhelmed by this season but i think it's still worth renewing as it'll either get better with Maloney or there will be a new manager brought in. Either way I think things are going to be different next season.

As frustrating as this season has been and as much as I think we've under performed - we have endured far worse in recent years. The last few Championship relegation seasons were larely abysmal and I lost the will to live watching us in the admin season until we had a little run at the end to save ourselves.

For perspective as much of a car crash last season was for us we finished on 39 points, 10 points from safety after 6 points taken off. By contrast Rotherham (Richardson's side) have just lost 9 in a row, including back to back 5-0 loses in their last two games. They are on just 19 points, 20 points from safety. That is absolutely soul crushingly brutal - their fans must be on suicide watch. We definitely aren't that bad!
I will not buy the early bird one this time I will wait till the start of next season. And who we sign.

Last edited:

How have you been underwhelmed by a team that started pre season in administration, had a transfer embargo, 7 or 8 lads starting their first professional season and an 8 point deduction? Maloneys worked a miracle with the mess he picked up on coming in. I know we have done well in this league in previous seasons but jesus christ theres some crazy expectations on here at times!

How have you been underwhelmed by a team that started pre season in administration, had a transfer embargo, 7 or 8 lads starting their first professional season and an 8 point deduction? Maloneys worked a miracle with the mess he picked up on coming in. I know we have done well in this league in previous seasons but jesus christ theres some crazy expectations on here at times!

I've been over this plenty of times in other threads. L1 is not a strong league in general, we have a very competitve wage bill for this level, we recruited well and retained a number of good L1 players.

This is one of the stronger squads in the division; Tickle, Morrison, Hughes, Kerr, Chambers, Jones, Matt Smith, Humphrys, Aasgard, Godo would get into nearly any team in the division. Wyke and Lang should've been worth at least 30 goals between them but we got virtually nothing out of them after the first month. Then we've got Shaw, McManaman, Johnny and Scott Smith who have all done reasonably well. We've not lacked quality our issue has been we've not got the best out of what we've got.

No one is oblivious to the fact the preseason disruption and 8 points deduction would have an impact and was always likely to cost us a play off spot. But look at the players we have, look at the players opposition sides have it's not crazy to expect a squad like ours shouldn't have struggled as much as it has. I'd say it's crazier to have so little faith in the players we have.

Last edited:
This is one of the stronger squads in the division; Tickle, Morrison, Hughes, Kerr, Chambers, Jones, Matt Smith, Humphrys, Aasgard, Godo would get into nearly any team in the division. Wyke and Lang should've been worth at least 30 goals between them but we got virtually nothing out of them after the first month. Then we've got Shaw, McManaman, Johnny and Scott Smith who have all done reasonably well. We've not lacked quality our issue has been we've not got the best out of what we've got.
Three points:

a. Struggled? ... I suppose that may be some people's definition of a virtual 10th place, but it seems harsh

b. At the start of the season, there's no way on earth that most of the players you name would "get into nearly every team in the division". Absolutely none. Now? Maybe, but that then leads on to the final point...

c. WBL has mentioned about none of our players having developed under this manager ... I responded by suggesting that most of those you mention - plus others - have indeed developed.

Jones didn't pass to McManaman
Magennis didn't shoot first time.
Humphrys didn't pass to Godo.
Kelman didn't bury his unchallenged header from 6 yards.

I see the poor stuff we sometimes deliver. However, I also see the good stuff (that doesn't always come off) too. I just wish others would do likewise ... and acknowledge it.

The manager may well be responsible for us not doing as well as some would have hoped and expected, but the players must carry at least as much accountability.

Let’s just pray we don’t offer the Brentford and QPR Bloke contracts. And the cart horse up front. I can see that happening. Cheap as chips. Because know one else will. Offer him one. And Maloney likes him.