The Oh's versus the O's | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Oh's versus the O's

Think we are getting carried away thinking these players are better than they really. Are like I’ve said this league one this season is very poor. Looking even at the top teams. Not one as any player Like an Andy Liddell Gary Teal. Simon Howarth. Of a a Ellington. That’s how crap, this league is.
Don't tell those of us who are "content" with our position WBL ... tell Frankie. He's the one who thinks the players are better than what we're seeing.
👍

Thelo contributed bugger all today. He is capable of much more and we should demand much more than the lazy disinterested display he put in today. Maybe he was played out of position but I’m not convinced.

WBL. Just a small point. All the players you mentioned were Premier League players. Not Div 1.

Jones is ok. Untill he has to do the job he’s on the pitch to do. Cross the ball in the box. Hardly ever beats the first man.
I think quite a few have mentioned that previously, in so much that Jones & JSmith should be on their own sides ie, not inverted.... I think this bears out as JSmith has now delivered 2 assists from the left side in 2 out of the last 3 games ?? Both headed goals ....
I think that bears weight for the argument posted, such a conundrum when picking a squad for the game ....

I did laugh though that he put Smith at Left Centre Back in the substitution for Chambers given his size 😂

I have to mention McManaman’s performance today. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile. He was aggressive on and off the ball and showed some real quality at times. It’s clear he cares about the club and gives it his all every time he is on the pitch.
MOTM by a country mile, well played Macca

All this the manager isn't sending them to be defensive is absolute garbage...that 1st half display is killing me as a( admittedly yesterday as an armchair) supporter. Adeeko was actually playing in a back 5. Then, the sending off and Adeeko had obviously been told at half time to push 30 yards forward as he was getting nosebleeds the amount of times he crossed the half way line....ironically he was soon hooked from this more offensive role.

I know we are getting safe but christ Maloney and his tactics are sucking the enjoyment out of a match day .

I have to mention McManaman’s performance today. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile. He was aggressive on and off the ball and showed some real quality at times. It’s clear he cares about the club and gives it his all every time he is on the pitch.
Hence why I'd extend his contract to another 12 months

Think we are getting carried away thinking these players are better than they really. Are like I’ve said this league one this season is very poor. Looking even at the top teams. Not one as any player Like an Andy Liddell Gary Teal. Simon Howarth. Of a a Ellington. That’s how crap, this league is.
Ah! But spot the difference in those players you mention above to the players (or most of them) in today's squad.

No! The difference with the likes of Ellington et al, is that back then, we had the cash to literally "buy the league."

I know we are getting safe but christ Maloney and his tactics are sucking the enjoyment out of a match day .

And given that we are within touching distance from safety, perhaps we might start enjoying matches now & the shackles come off.

Given ALL of our circumstances & obstacles this season which I ain't going through again, Shaun Maloney has done a cracking job keeping us in this division. Even if it means that for most of the time, results & points have taken priority over performance.

Just one last time for folk like Runc that don't seem to be getting it.

Maloney went public a few weeks ago and stated he won't be changing the system or tactics, why do you think fans (me included) are dithering over season ticket renewal for next season?

No way am I spending my hard earned to watch that shite again next season, incidentally there were a few more faces missing around us yesterday in ES5, looks like they've given up already.

I think we were fortunate they got a man sent off as they were the better side with 11 on the pitch and playing some good stuff around our box. They really didn't have much individual quality but they were clearly really well coached and they played pass and move the way it should be. Their style of play made them greater than the sum of their parts before they went down to 10. Jones and McManaman went on a couple of good solo runs on the counter to put decent balls in the box that we should've done a lot better with.

The sending off completely changed the game and their mentality, as they just settled for a 0-0 and made virtually no attempt to go forward which made our life much easier as we could just go all out attack without having to worry about getting caught out on the counter. I think they went far too negative from their perspective as completely surrendering midfield to us and defending so deep for so long is asking for trouble. We weren't creating that much but them allowing us so much of the ball meant eventually we were going to put a decent ball in and fortunately Kerr put it in the net. It came from a well worked short corner - which is a real rarity. Johnny Smith has a superb delivery, I think he's probably a better crosser than even Pearce, he's probably not as good at beating men as others but the others final ball aren't generally as strong. Smith is also very good for set pieces.

After we went ahead the team was very unbalanced with only 2 defensive minded players on the pitch but thankfully we managed to see it out and Hughes had to make one superb last ditch clearance to save us.

After watching Goode for a few games I find his signing really strange as he's just another big stopper like Watts - who we don't ever use because he can't play out well enough. He's not at all suited to Maloney's style and he's not a patch on Morrison or Kerr who he plays in front of. We really should've used that loan spot on a more needed def midfielder.

Magennis is getting critasism, which is fair enough for his inability to finish the chances created in that first half. But he actually held the ball reasonably well again. We need better than him next season but Maloney's style needs a target man and if he doesn't play we struggle to make anything stick.

Centre mid continues to be too lightweight and we desperately need Shaw in there. Adeeko is doing much better with the ball over the last couple of games, being more positive and not just going backwards but he isn't a tackler and neither is Smith, we leave ourself very vulnerable having a centre mid with 2 players like that.

I thought Scott Smith did well again at right back and I'm much happier with him there ahead of Clare.

It was a win but it really wasn't a great again, I am growing increasingly concerned at the seeming lack of progress in our style of play after so long. First few games if the season we saw some good pass and move but since then we've barely seen any. The handful of good performances we've had were more hard working, counter attacking displays which were good in their own right but they were kind of us playing a different type of football than what Maloney seems to want to play. Considering we want to be a pass and move team and often see so much of the ball we seem to have a distinct lack of movement which is the fundamental key to this style. We more often rely on our wingers picking up the ball deep and individually beating men to make anything happen rather than seeing passing moves open up teams. There seems a lack of method to our overall play other than just keep passing it and I was hoping that we'd be seeing that develop gradually over the season and unfortunately I don't think it is.

There are lots of things we need to improve on. We really need to work on how we press as a team, we sit far too deep which allows the opposition too much possession and invites pressure. Our shape needs to be more compact and higher up the pitch. If we get the shape right players should be able to close down the opponents quickly without having to run too far.

With the ball we move it far too slowly and offer little attacking threat through the middle. It’s rare that you see us with players set up outside the opposition box in good shooting positions. That’s one area where other teams have really exploited us this season.

Ah! But spot the difference in those players you mention above to the players (or most of them) in today's squad.

No! The difference with the likes of Ellington et al, is that back then, we had the cash to literally "buy the league."
You’re missing the point. I’m saying. There are not the same quality of players in league one. This season. No team as any quality. That’s how poor league one is.