The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Chicken Balti Pies "for all your match snack needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Chicken Balti Pies "for all your match snack needs")

Fair enough. But it’s just my opinion. Wouldn’t say the ref was biased today, just favoured the home team, which I accept happens - would be nice if it happened for us once in a while at home! My view on the ref today would seem ti accord with most others who saw the game too. He wasn’t a disaster, but certainly not as good as his old man, who was excellent.

I thought the ref had a good game.

I thought the ref had a good game.

To be fair I disagree as I stated during the game, all 50/50s went to the home team and virtually every cross into the Walsall box was penalised for a foul by us. I can take that but as others have stated Hawkins was manhandled continuously but got zero from Mr Gill

Having a good laugh reading some of the posts on this thread. Justifies my decision to not bother interacting much on here anymore. In January we had one aim, get away from trouble. We’ve done brilliant since to get into the position we’re in, now we lose a game and Harris is just a “passion merchant” and all the January window was “disappointing” and the signings aren’t good. It’s genuinely pathetic how much some of you seem to relish a defeat just to stick the boot in for rhe

We was averaging 2 points a game since the January window opened prior to today, yet reading this you’d think we’d just fallen 10 points from safety.

We was poor today. We’re in League Two. It will happen.

I will add that the new signings have only been together for a maximum of 10 weeks and they were brought in to stave off relegation- hopefully that will be achieved.

BUT ........... the four new players went straight into the team, were obviously a better calibre than those they replaced and got immediate results.

It could be argued that 10 weeks of coaching has had a detrimental effect.

I can only judge on what I see. Today Walsall played much better football than us and going forward we offered way too little. Based on that performance (and bearing in mind that as an exile I don’t see us at home) we haven’t improved very much. It didn’t help that the balance of the team was wrong - either Jeffries or MacDonald should have started. Do I relish the defeat? Of course not. I’d just like to see us play a decent and entertaining game for once!

Had a busy day with family yesterday so didn’t get to listen to the match, kept an eye on it via the bbc app.

The stats for the first half were poor, didn’t seem like we created much.

by the time I checked again we were 1-0, and then Wilkinson confirmed the result 🙄

this team has enough about it to stay up, the run we went on after the signings made the world of difference.

NH needs to finish the season on a high to prove he’s the right man for the job. You don’t want to be changing the manager mid season (23-24) if you’re aiming to be successful.

Harris's interview seems to be about intensity. I really do wonder whether some of the players think we are definitely safe already maybe subconsciously, and it is even showing in training. No harm in reminding them we are not there yet. Again, he is not calling out individuals.

Look at Wimbledon, for instance. One point from their last six games. They seem to have lost their intensity since reaching midtable and are now losing games like Crawley at home which is beginning to drag them back in to potential trouble. Colchester had a similar run recently after pulling themselves well clear.

Don't forget that nearly half the side that started yesterday were playing in the first half of the season. The new recruits are better than what we had but no world beaters, particularly if they let their intensity drop. Nichols, for instance, scored early on but not for several games now.

Last edited:
Having a good laugh reading some of the posts on this thread. Justifies my decision to not bother interacting much on here anymore. In January we had one aim, get away from trouble. We’ve done brilliant since to get into the position we’re in, now we lose a game and Harris is just a “passion merchant” and all the January window was “disappointing” and the signings aren’t good. It’s genuinely pathetic how much some of you seem to relish a defeat just to stick the boot in for rhe

We was averaging 2 points a game since the January window opened prior to today, yet reading this you’d think we’d just fallen 10 points from safety.

We was poor today. We’re in League Two. It will happen.

I'm been one of NH biggest critics since fairly early on this season. I've said numerous times our set up under NH IMO is negative. He doesn't try to win games from the off, he's quite happy for his team to meander through the game until H/T or until we go behind and then trys to react and change the momentum of games. He doesn't say we're going to give you problems and try and win the game from off, you worry about our qualities.

Yesterday was a prime example, NH named quite an attack looking team in personnel, did we get those players into the areas of the pitch to try to hurt the opposition in the first half?no. The set up and approach to games from NH is a negative one IMO and our approach to games seems to be not to lose them before thinking about trying to win them

For the record I think our January recruitment was very good. Do I think NH is playing a system or style to get the best out of those players recruited? no.

There were plenty of praise for our recruitment from outsiders saying our recruitment showed intent and should see us safe. I agree it should see us safe I just feel the closer we are to trouble the more NH will be cautious in his approach and that then becomes a real huge thing to turn around.

I've been saying this even when results were improving Against the lesser sides with the added new players we recruited in January we had enough, against the better sides we need a braver approach.

I think our current squad is better than performances have shown with a more positive approach and set up to games.NH is too cautious IMO.

I still dont think we'll go down but as I think Trev(?) said a few weeks ago, the question of whether we'd stay up because of NH or despite him I think its the latter.

If NH is here next season I just don't see us challenging, unless we spunk a massive budget on players that are way too good for this level.

Last edited:
He doesn't say we're going to give you problems and try and win the game from off, you worry about our qualities.
Yesterday was a prime example, NH named quite an attack looking team in personnel, did we get those players into the areas of the pitch to try to hurt the opposition in the first half?no. The set up and approach to games from NH is a negative one IMO and our approach to games seems to be not to lose them before thinking about trying to win them

Isn't it strange though, how often you check scores at half time and so many are nil-nil, particularly when there are just a few games in midweek.

There are not many teams that attack from the start as they do not want to concede from a sucker punch or breakaway and end up having to "chase the game", particularly as the opposition will then put more bodies behind the ball to protect their lead.

All managers talk about team structure, organisation and not becoming overloaded or leave space. Just the way modern football is. If you feel NH is worse that others, fair enough.

Isn't it strange though, how often you check scores at half time and so many are nil-nil, particularly when there are just a few games in midweek.

There are not many teams that attack from the start as they do not want to concede from a sucker punch or breakaway and end up having to "chase the game", particularly as the opposition will then put more bodies behind the ball to protect their lead.

All managers talk about team structure, organisation and not becoming overloaded or leave space. Just the way modern football is. If you feel NH is worse that others, fair enough.

IMO its about being brave as a manager and having belief.

Just looking at yesterday games across League two. 14 goals scored in the first half (5 of those in the first 15 minutes) and 17 goals scored in the second half (5 of which were 90+).

You could argue that if you score first the opposition then have to come out and then that leaves more space for you to play.

Almost every single match (whether I attend, watch on iplayer or neither) you say the ref is against the Gills. Can't you see how ridiculous this is? Obviously sometimes things go against us, but also sometimes in favour, over a season.

As you know, you near obsession with 'biased refs' apart, I think your analysis of games is top quality.
🙂

Either people think the ref is making an honest decision or not. If not then that opens up all sort of conspiracies. Why refs would choose to be biased against Gills of all teams is a mystery. But there is nothing stopping people taking up the whistle themselves if they think they can do better.

I can’t deny Harris has done well since Xmas, but you’d like to think anyone would with the war chest he was given.

I’ve always felt since day 1 we set up too negatively, but it kind of went under the radar last season as he did well to get us so close. But when you look back there were certain winnable home games were we were flat and created nothing.

My cousin is an ardent Millwall fan and loves the bloke as a player but he says he is tactically awful, long ball merchant and has no plan b when losing - I’d say that sounds very similar to here.

Defensively we have always been sound under the bloke, but for me he is just too negative, doesn’t go for it when he should and doesn’t know how to affect a game that isn’t going our way. Which is why with below average players, we were rock bottom, it’s not rocket science as to why we were so poor.

Which leads me to think he isn’t the right man to lead a promotion battle with us. He will get next season though, we cannot deny he’s done well since Xmas, so there’s no real just reason I’d say that upper management would want him gone and the upheaval.

I’d love to be wrong about him, but we’ve had 15 months to judge so far and he’s not really changed his ways.

Well, that was disappointing, Harrogate mark 2 but without a single point !

We are a much more skilled side than we were before Xmas - surely no-one will deny that. But the way the team has been set-up and played over the past few away games is a bit puzzling. Apart from Stockport, where we wisely (IMO) set up totally to defend for a point, we`ve been setting up and playing as if absolutely everything needs to go via Hawkins. When that tactic fails, as it has more often than not, we simply do not have a plan B. Recently (apart from Stockport) we`ve even struggled to play a high energy game.

Given the player changes and accounting for settling in time, it may now be time for even the most fervent of NH supporters, I count myself in that number, to consider whether our tactics are falling short. I`m not panicking, as our form is still pretty good and I still can`t see us going down. But, our predictability is becoming a frustration.

Yesterday was a winnable game. With all due respect to Walsall, I thought they were pretty poor and their all important first goal, was a fluke. Was the ref a factor ? Maybe. He certainly seemed to enjoy being the centre of attention, that`s for sure. But, was he the reason we lost the game ? I don`t think so. We lost because we had very little, if any, width and chose, instead, to direct pretty much all traffic via big Hawkins, notwithstanding the fact that Walsall played three, equally giant, central defenders from whom Hawkins got little to no change.

I wonder how many other Gills` fans were sitting there thinking - if only we`d signed a wide player in the window - I certainly was. A quality wide player or old fashion winger, as an attacking option, might have led to the Lapslies and Nichols types in our team getting into the box more effectively.

We`ve still work to do and it`s clear that if we`re to mount a challenge for L1 football there are still plenty of changes to made. I feel bad in saying this but, if we continue to struggle in finding tactical alternatives, the changes may not be confined to playing staff.

I can’t deny Harris has done well since Xmas, but you’d like to think anyone would with the war chest he was given.

I’ve always felt since day 1 we set up too negatively, but it kind of went under the radar last season as he did well to get us so close. But when you look back there were certain winnable home games were we were flat and created nothing.

My cousin is an ardent Millwall fan and loves the bloke as a player but he says he is tactically awful, long ball merchant and has no plan b when losing - I’d say that sounds very similar to here.

Defensively we have always been sound under the bloke, but for me he is just too negative, doesn’t go for it when he should and doesn’t know how to affect a game that isn’t going our way. Which is why with below average players, we were rock bottom, it’s not rocket science as to why we were so poor.

Which leads me to think he isn’t the right man to lead a promotion battle with us. He will get next season though, we cannot deny he’s done well since Xmas, so there’s no real just reason I’d say that upper management would want him gone and the upheaval.

I’d love to be wrong about him, but we’ve had 15 months to judge so far and he’s not really changed his ways.

Yeah, good post, GH.

I'm very much of the opinion that we should support Harris and I get irritated by a lot of the negative comments made about him by some of our supporters.

He seems like a decent boss (an oxymoron, I know!) and that the players want to play for him. I didn't see the game yesterday but the staunch defensive performance at Stockport was I think, evidence of this. There appears to be a very good team spirit at the moment and I think that is such a crucial aspect of any great team, something of which the value is often underestimated. The fact that Harris appears to be a friendly and firm but fair boss will have been a part of the building of this team spirit. In this regard, compare him with our previous manager.

Of course, being a nice bloke and team spirit are not enough on their own. The team selection, tactics and formation are also very important.

As much as I prefer the Sir Keith/Alex Ferguson style of simply attempting to score more than one opposition (because it's so exciting!), I can also see the value of the Pulis/Mourinho approach of placing so much emphasis upon the clean sheet, because if you don't concede you can't lose. And even Sir Keith and Ferguson built their teams from the back. A solid defense is essential whatever style or tactics are employed.

You say yourself that Harris did a good job in nearly keeping us up last season. The first part of this season was an embarrassment but I felt the manager's hands were tied. I wouldn't have complained if he'd been sacked but I didn't want him sacked because I didn't blame him and we weren't getting thumped lots. Once it became apparent he wasn't going to be sacked and he got the new players, his job this season was ensuring we don't get relegated. He's not achieved that yet but I'm confident he will.

Next season will be the last of his contract. On the proviso that he does succeed with the current job of keeping us up he absolutely must be given the final season of his contract and we must absolutely support that. He will have earned it.

And then let's see what next season brings. Sure, if we're back in the bottom half of the table looking over our shoulders after two or three months, then consider sacking him. But otherwise, so long as we're comfortable mid table he must be supported. Not necessarily offered a new contract but supported until the end of the one he has. Of course, if we have a good season then he'll probably have earned himself a new contract.

FFS, we're Gills, we're proper. Get a grip (not you, GH, but lots of you) and support the team and support the manager. If we do have some success with him as manager then I doubt there will be many complaints about the defensive style/tactics. If it doesn't happen then let's think about that towards the end of next season.

Last edited:
Well, that was disappointing, Harrogate mark 2 but without a single point !

We are a much more skilled side than we were before Xmas - surely no-one will deny that. But the way the team has been set-up and played over the past few away games is a bit puzzling. Apart from Stockport, where we wisely (IMO) set up totally to defend for a point, we`ve been setting up and playing as if absolutely everything needs to go via Hawkins. When that tactic fails, as it has more often than not, we simply do not have a plan B. Recently (apart from Stockport) we`ve even struggled to play a high energy game.

Given the player changes and accounting for settling in time, it may now be time for even the most fervent of NH supporters, I count myself in that number, to consider whether our tactics are falling short. I`m not panicking, as our form is still pretty good and I still can`t see us going down. But, our predictability is becoming a frustration.

Yesterday was a winnable game. With all due respect to Walsall, I thought they were pretty poor and their all important first goal, was a fluke. Was the ref a factor ? Maybe. He certainly seemed to enjoy being the centre of attention, that`s for sure. But, was he the reason we lost the game ? I don`t think so. We lost because we had very little, if any, width and chose, instead, to direct pretty much all traffic via big Hawkins, notwithstanding the fact that Walsall played three, equally giant, central defenders from whom Hawkins got little to no change.

I wonder how many other Gills` fans were sitting there thinking - if only we`d signed a wide player in the window - I certainly was. A quality wide player or old fashion winger, as an attacking option, might have led to the Lapslies and Nichols types in our team getting into the box more effectively.

We`ve still work to do and it`s clear that if we`re to mount a challenge for L1 football there are still plenty of changes to made. I feel bad in saying this but, if we continue to struggle in finding tactical alternatives, the changes may not be confined to playing staff.

Agree with your analysis. But see my post above. I'm hoping that Harris will sign quality width and pace this summer. Next season, mate, next season.

Incidentally, I didn't see or even hear commentary yesterday so I can understand people being disappointed if the performance was poor. But keep the faith, we will win on Tuesday!