The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Chicken Balti Pies "for all your match snack needs") | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Chicken Balti Pies "for all your match snack needs")

Can't wait for Harris to go so we can get a proper manager in with tactical nouse that isn't just a passion merchant

Saw the starting lineup pre match and knew we were going to lose from that moment
No Macdonald or Jefferies is just stupid

Yeah well done for a few wins against the other shitters in the league, no chance he can lead us to a promotion push next season

Some might get blinded by the cringey fist pumps after a win but no one will forget 7 goals and 14 points from 23 games

Worst Gills manager of all time?

There should be an official enquiry by the EFL regarding referees consistently being biased against us. Almost every match they make sure we don't win and give virtually every decision against us. They are clearly under instructions. It is so unfair.

I hear it's the same for Millwall when I talk to them.

Did you watch the match either in person or online? Strange that the consensus of views of those who actually watched the match was that we were dealt a bad hand today by the officials, yet, yet again, you decide to have a pop at me. I wonder why?

I’m just going to say this and risk the reaction . I don’t think Hawkins is very good .
End of the day he’s as much a centre back as a striker. When he’s in the team we go route one too often. A plus side is he drags 2/3 defenders onto him which should in theory free up space for others to score.

He's certainly very slow and was hugely out-muscled today, although the ref gave him absolutely zilch despite being manhandled.

Apparently not. Those who didn't watch the game (apparently) think that we were making it up that the ref dealt us a bad card. However, I must say that I am starting to be less impressed with Hawkins than I was to start with. He is overly slow for someone who is operating as a sole front man on lots of occasions (but getting someone quicker to play alongside him as we should have done in the transfer window would help a lot). TBH, when things don't go right for him, he looks a bit of a donkey up front, especially when not supported by colleagues or the referee as today. Think he'll be fine for League Two next season, if we go a quick, Simeon/King, style goalscorer next to him, but don't think he's League One standard (up front anyway!)

Did you watch the match either in person or online? Strange that the consensus of views of those who actually watched the match was that we were dealt a bad hand today by the officials, yet, yet again, you decide to have a pop at me. I wonder why?
Almost every single match (whether I attend, watch on iplayer or neither) you say the ref is against the Gills. Can't you see how ridiculous this is? Obviously sometimes things go against us, but also sometimes in favour, over a season.

As you know, your near obsession with 'biased refs' apart, I think your analysis of games is top quality.
🙂

Last edited:
Some of us were criticised for our disappointment at the transfer window and in particularly the lack of a pacey forward being added. I think that's coming back to bite us on the bum now.
Not sure it will. Maybe we were keeping our powder dry there with better options available in the summer. All we needed in the Jan window was enough to keep us safe. It’s still a work in progress. I’m sure that will be sorted in the summer.

What makes you think we didn't try but players couldn't be persuaded to leave their clubs to join a team who were bottom of the league?

When you’re paying probably a League Two if not a League One manager’s salary to two coaches in addition to the manager and a well paid assistant, I’d suggest that it’s their job to acquire the right players, especially when funds are available. I called the lack of a pacey striker at the time to be poor and I think I’m being proved right now.

Last edited:
Thats a worry given the supposed quality we brought in over January.

I still think big question mark on whether Harris is the man for next season. I think he needs a really strong finish this season. Home form is decent since January but ability to win on the road is not yet proven .

Win Tuesday and table will look better but questions for next season remain

By my count, our strikers have now scored 2 goals in 10 games? Isn’t that on par with Kashket and Mandron?

Almost every single match (whether I attend, watch on iplayer or neither) you say the ref is against the Gills. Can't you see how ridiculous this is? Obviously sometimes things go against us, but also sometimes in favour, over a season.

As you know, you near obsession with 'biased refs' apart, I think your analysis of games is top quality.
🙂

Fair enough. But it’s just my opinion. Wouldn’t say the ref was biased today, just favoured the home team, which I accept happens - would be nice if it happened for us once in a while at home! My view on the ref today would seem ti accord with most others who saw the game too. He wasn’t a disaster, but certainly not as good as his old man, who was excellent.