The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 95 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

Sorry , but why the hell are some writing off the now Croatian first choice international keeper that only a year ago was playing in a world cup and part of a squad that was in the final. Who has only played 7 games for us. That Deano made a priority signing only 6 months ago. Doesn't say much to the owners about judgement of Deano if Kalinic is binned after 7 games .

Thought we had learned or lesson from last season about writing off players with the likes of Whelan, Jedi , Anwar to name a few.

20 million on 9 caps in 7 years Butland. Not for me.

Paper trash anyway I imagine .
Did smith scout and recommend Kalinic? We’d been linked with him previously so I assumed it was a club recommendation rather than a manager one. With a disaster of Nyland it looks like Kalinic was just a panic buy

Not sure the fact he’s first choice for Croatia means anything for us. He’s only first choice because the other guy who got them to the final retired and it’s not like because the squad he was merely part of got to the final it somehow proves his quality

Did smith scout and recommend Kalinic? We’d been linked with him previously so I assumed it was a club recommendation rather than a manager one. With a disaster of Nyland it looks like Kalinic was just a panic buy

Not sure the fact he’s first choice for Croatia means anything for us. He’s only first choice because the other guy who got them to the final retired and it’s not like because the squad he was merely part of got to the final it somehow proves his quality

Not sure the fact that Gordon Banks, sorry I mean Butland is 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice for a shite England side means anything for us either to be honest.
Can't see the logic at all in you saying he is only first choice because retired. He's first choice. It's the fact. Regardless if someone had retired or otherwise.

No one on here knows his quality because he has only played 7 games. Disappointed so many are writing him off so quickly.

And yes I think Deano did scout him in the near 3 months he was in charge before he signed Kalinic.
Not as if he wasn't aware of Nyland before he arrived . He's a villa fan. He would have noticed while he was in charge at Brentford even .

Kalinic was in the radar four years ago and would have signed when Remi Garde was here if not for a declined work permit. That regime has obviously been long gone so I would guess Smith, Pitarch, etc. followed up interest of their own.

Like @Melon Donkey, I still maintain it's waaaaay to early to tell if he'll work out. All of his 7 appearances were behind a defence which didn't include Mings, Hause or Tuanzebe but did include an injured Chester, so surely it's impossible to judge him properly?

Don't think Steer would sign extension to be number 2.

Don't think Butlamd will sign to be number 2.

Steer number 1
Kalinic number 2.

That's how we will start in my opinion.

Deano has many other fish to fry in other areas.

Steer will be our cup keeper, he's not going to be our first choice in the premiership. Kalinic is crap, obviously hasn't got in well with the squad and he will be gone by August.

Thats fair enough. But our first game is against Spurs. Bit of a gamble isnt it, seeing if he is up to the job AFTER the deadline has passed as he is trying to defend a set piece with Kane 2 yards from him.

He "may" be good enough. Personally, when we line up v Spurs, I want players who "are" good enough - especially in keh positions, and GK is a key position

Don't think Steer would sign extension to be number 2.

Don't think Butlamd will sign to be number 2.

Steer number 1
Kalinic number 2.

That's how we will start in my opinion.

Deano has many other fish to fry in other areas.

:stupid:

Steer will have to the face the fact he will have competition, that's part of the job. But I don't think he'd have agreed an extension unless he felt he was in the frame for number 1.

Technically he's at least reasonable good. Temperamentaly he's been excellent; he doesn't buckle. He has the makings of a very good PL keeper. And he fitted in well with the defence of last season, which will form the basis of the defence this season.

I give up. What is the of arguing. England, ranked 3 or 4 in the world, world cup semi finalists, nation league finalists are now a "shit england side".
Yeah.

I give up. What is the of arguing. England, ranked 3 or 4 in the world, world cup semi finalists, nation league finalists are now a "shit england side".
Yeah.

4th.

Croatia 6th.

Rankings are a farce. Always have been. We are currently better than current European champions and nation league holders Portugal then as they are 5th ?

The nations league is a farce . Glorified friendly. Switzerland reached the same stage as us. Don't remember much enthusiasm about our performances a couple of weeks ago . Yes we were shit HL

Croatia beat us in the WC semi and got to the final .

So I do think Kalinic is being underestimated.

4th.

Croatia 6th.

Rankings are a farce. Always have been. We are currently better than current European champions and nation league holders Portugal then as they are 5th ?

The nations league is a farce . Glorified friendly. Switzerland reached the same stage as us. Don't remember much enthusiasm about our performances a couple of weeks ago . Yes we were shit HL

Croatia beat us in the WC semi and got to the final .

So I do think Kalinic is being underestimated.

So reading between the lines MD you think we should sign Butland.

Sorted.

Won't matter who's in goal if we don't sign two more quality centre backs, a left back and defensive mid :p. Imagine the melt down on here and Twatter if we can't get Mings. :punch:.

On goalkeepers, Butland seems to have turned into Gordon Banks all of a sudden. Think this speculation has been caused by Kalinic wanting to be No 1 or else leave, not by us not rating him.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Exactly, the keeper situation is decided by Smith, not us. We just need some more interesting gossip to give us something to talk about.