The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 97 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

I think most fans will accept that Republic of Ireland international Scott Hogan’s time at Aston Villa is now up. If he was going to get a second lease of life with us with the arrival of former head coach Dean Smith given their productive time at Brentford, it simply hasn’t happened, so I fail to see why that would now happen given we are back in the Premier League.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-of-favour-villa-man-a-route-out-this-summer/

Are we being linked with these Belgian league players because of Naseef Sawiris' dual nationality?

And are the prices being driven up because it's known that we have some serious recruitment to do having lost a load of players to expired contracts and returns from loan to their parent club?

Well, with the date of the players coming back for training, we'd better get our skates on. We hear enough about getting players in early to help bond and blendinto the existing squad.

Taking the fact that we've no Tuanzebe, Mings, Whelan, Jedi, Cafu, Abraham etc we're a few players 'light' shall we say.

Btw, has Wesley's work permit been rubber stamped yet?........ because apart from him, we've not spent much yet if we're believing El Ghazi was apparently a bargain, Hause, wasn't much and Jota was 'part exchanged plus an small adjustment'.

We really do need two or three players in THIS WEEK if at all possible, we don't want to be leaving things to the last minute.

Recruitment policies are make or break for clubs - Wesley is the only risk so far and I cant see them throwing another 20M at another risky signing.

----------------Steer----------------
Freddie--Tuanzebe-Mings-Hause
--------------Hourihane------------
----------McGinn--Grealish-------
Jota-------------------------Anwar
----------------Wesley-------------

Thats the minimal cash to talent risk team we can play and two of those arent even signed, one seems unlikely to happen and the stronger these Kongolo rumours become the more unlikely Mings seems.

RCB, LCB, LB, DM, RW, CF - probably still need six lads we don't have a backline right now so it seems ludicrous for the GK to be taking any sort of prominence in our transfer sagas. The value to talent of Butland vs. Steer is not significant enough if it means that 20M prevents us from getting the talent we need elsewhere.

Of those 6 positions I'd say at least one is another 20M and 3 are 15-20M range. We've probably given out 30-35M so far. You're climbing into the 80s once you sign 3 or 4 of the above and it really starts to look like you're doing a Fulham then.

Its hard to now what management will do. Do they spend a bit extra because they're ahead of schedule or plan for relegation too? I feel they're risk adverse and relegation is factored into these signings.

I am quite relaxed about it.

The powers that be have a plan , and no doubt contingencies if player A doesn't happen.

We have signed the most players out of any PL side so far.

Also a lot of transfers are dependant on other deals going through , so if one happens you get a domino effect.

Steer
Guilbert Chester Hause Taylor
Hourihane McGinn
Jota Grealish El Ghazi
Wesley

We NEED two central defenders (Chester is injured, Hause isn't ready) a defensive midfielder (I'm not sure Hourihane is premiership quality and he most definitely not good enough to be our first choice defensive midfielder), and a left back (Taylor...).

We could also probably do with another striker, although I like Kodjia as backup, and another winger.

Also, Steer vs Kane, Salah, Aguero, Sterling? Id feel a lot more secure with butland.

Am I right in saying the transfer window slams shut on the Thursday and we KO the season on the Saturday ,
Now if these clubs start playing dead line day hard ball over selling we could start the season we next to no team or several players signed 48 hours before ko
Lets remember with the exception of Norwich and Sheffield all the other teams have a side that stayed up last season , we don't even have the side that managed 5th yet .

To let all the players go which we have, I suspect we have a reasonably long shortlist for replacements, so don't think we can be blackmailed into paying large sums we don't want to.

Think the price of the player will be determined by what other clubs are prepared to pay. The Wesley price wasn't unreasonable if he is as good as we hope.

Recruitment policies are make or break for clubs - Wesley is the only risk so far and I cant see them throwing another 20M at another risky signing.

----------------Steer----------------
Freddie--Tuanzebe-Mings-Hause
--------------Hourihane------------
----------McGinn--Grealish-------
Jota-------------------------Anwar
----------------Wesley-------------

Thats the minimal cash to talent risk team we can play and two of those arent even signed, one seems unlikely to happen and the stronger these Kongolo rumours become the more unlikely Mings seems.

RCB, LCB, LB, DM, RW, CF - probably still need six lads we don't have a backline right now so it seems ludicrous for the GK to be taking any sort of prominence in our transfer sagas. The value to talent of Butland vs. Steer is not significant enough if it means that 20M prevents us from getting the talent we need elsewhere.

Of those 6 positions I'd say at least one is another 20M and 3 are 15-20M range. We've probably given out 30-35M so far. You're climbing into the 80s once you sign 3 or 4 of the above and it really starts to look like you're doing a Fulham then.

Its hard to now what management will do. Do they spend a bit extra because they're ahead of schedule or plan for relegation too? I feel they're risk adverse and relegation is factored into these signings.

I am in complete agreement with your evaluation/suspicion of the current thinking of the management team. To be fair, it is a difficult balancing act between giving DS a really good chance of survival and leaving enough in reserve if it all goes awry.

There are a few reports around and about suggesting another six players are being sought. By the time you eliminate the essentials from that figure (2xCBs, DM, RW (left footed) & ST/AM) that leaves you to choose between a LB or hope Hause/Taylor can cover or choose a GK instead.

We perhaps could loose one of our three RBs, plus Tshibole or Bjarnason along with Hogan. Arguably Kalinic, if another goalie is acquired. However, none are likely to draw in big bucks. Player plus cash deals might provide the best returns if the likes on Nantes, Bristol City or Brentford are willing to trade.

The other big factor is time to get everything in place and there is not that much of that left to work with.

Just turning more generally to our recruitment budget. If all those preferred purchases were to go through and to nigh on the prices quoted in the press we would have:

Butland - £23M
LB, say Targett - £10 M (min)
Mings - £15M +
Kongolo/Gibson - £15M (maybe slightly less)
Rongier or Marvelous - £15-20M
Costa - £13M
Maupay - £20M

Sub total - £111M +

Add

Hause - £3M
Jota - £2M (conservative cash element)
El Ghazi - £4.45M (latest revised figure)
Wesley - £22.3M

Sub total - £31.75M

Total spend: £142.75M

Potential sales:

Kalinic - £5M
Bjarnason - £1M (not reports of bids)
Hogan - £5M

Total: £11M

So, give or take, we would be coughing up £130M. Frankly, wish upon wish, I cannot see this being agreed by men with the purse strings. I would be surprised if the ceiling exceeded £100M, although I had initially thought it might be less.

Regardless of any of our thoughts, unless a few bargains are worked through, I think either we will reduce our intake slightly or move to more 'economic' options in some positions.

Goalie, second additional CB and perhaps one of the more advanced positions might be reviewed. Personally, I would stick to pursuing Maupay because we have to find goals - he is not a guarantee, but offers something different to Wesley and I feel can likely adapt. A second striker from outside the UK might prove a bit too chancey. Rodriguez is another that offers a cheaper solution, although I am sure not many Villans will be too keen.

It is going to be an interesting few weeks and I am sure not everyone will be happy, but to fully remedy the squad in one hit would be extremely hard to achieve.

Great post and I think the prices and players are realistic (compared to some fantasy land rumours we see)

Goes to show how expensive things can be once added up. I can’t see up spending over 100m so some areas will need to be sacrificed or cheaper alternatives found.

In particular I think Maupay or any second striker addition at £20m is unlikely after signing Wesley for a similar amount. Too much to spend on a sub striker. Jay Rodriguez at £5m having scored a decent amount last season and having previous prem experience (which we severely lack) looks a better deal and would save £15m off that shopping list.

Also wonder about defence; I am not convinced we are in for 2 more centre backs. Bournemouth are haggling over Mings so I think we have put feelers out for alternatives, rather than planning a combination of defensive signings.

If the opinion is Chester will be back at 100% next season then to be honest there is no reason to replace him for big money at this time. He has prem experience and for 2 seasons before his injury he was our best player and Mr consistent. This again would save £15m. Maybe we could bring in Tuanzebe or similar on loan for a season at most but otherwise it could be left unless Chester is complete gone.

Still over £100m on the remaining requirements though, perhaps left back could be left for a season with Mings and Hause it even Guilbert used to cover; another £10m saved.

I think at a minimum we are lacking in defensive mid and a wide player, and obviously at least 1 centre back so there’s no escaping those ones and that’s £45-55m straight away just on the urgent priorities.

Hope they’ve got the cheque book ready

I'm confident that the guys have a plan and are trying to get those players in.

The only concern is if either those players don't want to join us or if we get gazumped by other clubs.

Then we have a problem.

These things always go to deadline day. No need to panic.

Some of you guys would put poor old Jim Smith out of a job.