The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 94 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

The Helder Costa one is one rumour I am actually hoping it is true (but it won't be, along with the other 100,000)

I think he is a great little player, and was somewhat bemused Wolves ditched him for Linford Christie, sorry, Adama Traore.

He looked class when he played against us in his first season at Wolves

I think we all thought he’d become a top player but for whatever reason his career has stagnated the last couple of seasons. Not sure if we should sign another Wolves cast off, I think right now we should look elsewhere as there’s too much of a question mark over him as to why he’s failed to progress

Logic would suggest we run with Steer, but I don’t know. There is some suggestion DS fancies an experienced keeper, but not Kalinic.

Unless we have a situation where we can sell off the Croatian to, say, Nantes and then bring in someone of Dean’s choosing, there doesn’t seem too much sense in all the kerfuffle.

Actually, I think Sarkic is quite suitable as a no. 3 too.

If you say that then, logic we would just field the team that played the last 16 games ?
Sarkic is nowhere near a Premier league player or even a first team player at a league two side.

If I had to guess, I'd say we are waiting until Kalinic is off the books before we finish up the Butland deal. I don't think we are in for Heaton at all, the speculation is all based on Heaton turning down a contract and Villa looking for a keeper, journalists trying to crudely jigsaw the two pieces together.

How about forget the price and buy the best we can who can be our number one for the next 8 years. We've had more keepers than Dudley Zoo these last few seasons let get a good un and we don't have to keep worrying about it.

Often disagree with Villan, but with him 100% of the way on this.

Pepple emember the Premier League of 5 or 6 years ago when we actuallh bought players. Then, a top striker went for 30m, now its 250m, a goalie went for 5m, niw its 90m.

20m for a top top keeper , with the experience he has, the attitude he has is absolutely peanuts.

Getting Tom Heaton to save a few quid is absolutely crazy. He's also a good keeper, dont get me wrong, but he is 33, why be in the same position in two years time, if, everything goes to llan, we will be looking go get to the next level. The next level keeper will then cost 80 or 90m, buy Butland now - we already have him.

Didn’t realise you were sitting on the fence in regard to Sarkic, Villan57. You have probably seen far more of him than me, especially as I am in South Wales (currently freezing my butt off at a car boot sale). I am going more off reports than anything else.

Butland would be a good investment IF the club deem him affordable. Current articles seem to suggest they feel circa £23M is too much.

Sorry , but why the hell are some writing off the now Croatian first choice international keeper that only a year ago was playing in a world cup and part of a squad that was in the final. Who has only played 7 games for us. That Deano made a priority signing only 6 months ago. Doesn't say much to the owners about judgement of Deano if Kalinic is binned after 7 games .

Thought we had learned or lesson from last season about writing off players with the likes of Whelan, Jedi , Anwar to name a few.

20 million on 9 caps in 7 years Butland. Not for me.

Paper trash anyway I imagine .

He looked class when he played against us in his first season at Wolves

I think we all thought he’d become a top player but for whatever reason his career has stagnated the last couple of seasons. Not sure if we should sign another Wolves cast off, I think right now we should look elsewhere as there’s too much of a question mark over him as to why he’s failed to progress

He had a bad injury and hasn't looked the same since.

Sorry , but why the hell are some writing off the now Croatian first choice international keeper that only a year ago was playing in a world cup and part of a squad that was in the final. Who has only played 7 games for us. That Deano made a priority signing only 6 months ago. Doesn't say much to the owners about judgement of Deano if Kalinic is binned after 7 games .

Thought we had learned or lesson from last season about writing off players with the likes of Whelan, Jedi , Anwar to name a few.

20 million on 9 caps in 7 years Butland. Not for me.

Paper trash anyway I imagine .

I think the problem with Kalinic is that he doesn't want to be number 2 and wait for an opportunity. IMO Deano will start with Steer as his number 1 hence the new contract.

Don't know if he would sign Butland and put him ahead of Steer either.

I think the problem with Kalinic is that he doesn't want to be number 2 and wait for an opportunity. IMO Deano will start with Steer as his number 1 hence the new contract.

Don't know if he would sign Butland and put him ahead of Steer either.

Don't think Steer would sign extension to be number 2.

Don't think Butlamd will sign to be number 2.

Steer number 1
Kalinic number 2.

That's how we will start in my opinion.

Deano has many other fish to fry in other areas.

Erm... how much is Neymar going for again ?.

I honestly think people are either living in the dark ages, or are just totally blinkered.

Apparently 20m for an England keeper , 26, with 300 appearences, mostly in Premier league, is too much

Remind me again, if Derby or Albion would have beat us - how much did people say Grealish (a player who has had the majority of his games in the Championship, and two long stints out with injury in 2 seasons) was worth ?

The same goes for Phillips at Leeds, fans are laughing at the 30m asking price.

Get in the real world, those are the prices now in the EPL, 20m for Butland is pocket change.

If we want to be part of it, pay the costs, if not, stay in the Championship.

And as for Kalinic, it was abundantly clear he was having trouble adjusting to the physicallity. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. But do you want to risk it against Kane, Salah, Aguero and all

Last edited:
Erm... hiw much us Neymar going for again ?.

I jonestly think people are either living in the dark ages, or are just totally blinkered.

Apparently 20m for an England keeper , 26, with 300 appearences, mostly in Premier league.

Remind ne again, if Derby ir Albion would have beat us - how much dud people say Grealish (a player who has had tge majority of his games in the Championship, and two long stints out wuth injury in 2 seasons).

The same goes for Phillips at Leeds, fans are laughing at the 30m asking price.

Get in the real world, those are the prices now in tge EPL, 20m for Butland is pocket change.

And as for Kalinic, it was abundantly clear he was having trouble adjusting to the physicallity. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. But do you want to risk it against Kane, Salah, Aguero and all

Thanks for joining the reasoned debate that's going on about Butland with your wisdom

Get in the real world
Living in the dark ages
Totally blinkered.

Sigh...

If budget is playing as big a part in the recruitment process as reported, it might well be a management/owner reaction to our recent dalliances with FFP. However, with such a reliance on loanees and players at the end of their careers last season, rebuilding is bigger for us than for most others.

There is a challenge between investment and risk, but it is clear few sides avoid the drop if they do not invest. Huddersfield scraped it for a year, but they were caught fully and squarely second time around. Good player selection is the key and we have to back Smith in that regard, even if it might involve paying that bit more.

If budget is playing as big a part in the recruitment process as reported, it might well be a management/owner reaction to our recent dalliances with FFP. However, with such a reliance on loanees and players at the end of their careers last season, rebuilding is bigger for us than for most others.

There is a challenge between investment and risk, but it is clear few sides avoid the drop if they do not invest. Huddersfield scraped it for a year, but they were caught fully and squarely second time around. Good player selection is the key and we have to back Smith in that regard, even if it might involve paying that bit more.
We need to spend some money and quickly

£20m for a keeper isn’t that much these days when the top ones are going for £50m+

If the club has the cash then we should just go for it if he’s genuinely considered the best long term option. Maybe the issue is his injury record?