The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 153 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Confused?????

People are talking about Smith like he is the next messiah because our new bogey team Brentford play nice football whenever we play them. Warburton got them playing that way before Smith joined and also achieved more by actually getting them into the play offs. A few years ago Warburton was bigged up to be some genious up and coming coach but has been a flop where ever he has been since. Its not that straight forward - 12 months or so ago, some on here were insisting Paul Clement and Jaap Stam were the right man for the job

With you now. No flavours of the month. Think it is actually harder than we all imagine to build a team otherwise someone would pay us millions to do it.

Steve Bruce post match interview. “I thought we were ok. They went down to 10 and after that we defended well and got a point from a tough away match. No doubt social media will see it differently but that’s why I’d like to see anyone else do better. “

The arrogance is unreal here. We were playing ten men for a whole half :clap:

People are talking about Smith like he is the next messiah because our new bogey team Brentford play nice football whenever we play them. Warburton got them playing that way before Smith joined and also achieved more by actually getting them into the play offs. A few years ago Warburton was bigged up to be some genious up and coming coach but has been a flop where ever he has been since. Its not that straight forward - 12 months or so ago, some on here were insisting Paul Clement and Jaap Stam were the right man for the job

Are you sure about that? Brentfords reputation as an entertaining side seems to have come from the last couple of seasons under Smith. Maybe Warburton, or the club itself laid the foundations but he's certainly carried it on to great effect on a shoestring budget.

I saw him say in an interview that there is such a structure and style of play that is now embedded at the club, that it is easy for new players to come in and adapt to it easily. What structure is there at Villa?

I'm not saying he is the messiah or anything near to that effect. Just an option if Bruce was to be replaced. Just like there could be many other options. Managers who play a quicker more expansive brand of football. Who's to say someone like Clement or Stam wouldn't be successful here with the players and infrastructure we have? We don't know.

At this stage I would rather we didn't get Smith if Bruce were to go because it feels like too many people here would be wanting him to fail.

The only thing we do know is that the football under Bruce has for the most part been rubbish.

Last edited:
Steve Bruce post match interview. “I thought we were ok. They went down to 10 and after that we defended well and got a point from a tough away match. No doubt social media will see it differently but that’s why I’d like to see anyone else do better. “

Crikey! Fake news is alive and well. Nothing like what Steve said.

Are you sure about that? Brentfords reputation as an entertaining side seems to have come from the last couple of seasons under Smith. Maybe Warburton, or the club itself laid the foundations but he's certainly carried it on to great effect on a shoestring budget.

I saw him say in an interview that there is such a structure and style of play that is now embedded at the club, that it is easy for new players to come in and adapt to it easily. What structure is there at Villa?

I'm not saying he is the messiah or anything near to that effect. Just an option if Bruce was to be replaced. Just like there could be many other options. Managers who play a quicker more expansive brand of football. Who's to say someone like Clement or Stam wouldn't be successful here with the players and infrastructure we have? We don't know.

At this stage I would rather we didn't get Smith if Bruce were to go because it feels like too many people here would be wanting him to fail.

The only thing we do know is that the football under Bruce has for the most part been rubbish.

Wanting a manager to fail because you don't like him is something I will never understand. But that is how it seems some are looking at the Bruce situation. I was completely against appointing Sherwood, Garde and RDM but while they were in charge I was fully supportive of them.

Wanting a manager to fail because you don't like him is something I will never understand. But that is how it seems some are looking at the Bruce situation. I was completely against appointing Sherwood, Garde and RDM but while they were in charge I was fully supportive of them.

Well I'd completely agree there. I have wanted Bruce to succeed from day one. But it's same old same old again this season performance wise. Yes, we have the points on the board despite being crap, but being generally rubbish can lead to long winless streaks like we have had under him already. That is not good enough for promotion in this league.

But I'm not calling for his head. We'll see what happens. With McGinn being added, and hopefully a Grabban-esque loan brought in, who knows? We have good players, better than most in this division, that might carry us despite the lack of tactical nous.

The only issue with someone like Dean Smith is you still have someone who is still learning and at a club with no expectation. I feel its a big issue with a lot of younger managers and the ruthlessness of the commercial footballing world.

Say we got Dean in what if it doesnt start well, will he just fold under the pressure? How will he adapt that style of play when you are the big team that has to come out and take control of the game? A vulnerability or mentality he hasnt managed to instill is holding onto leads from winning positions.

Everyone is a risk but I still think the club needs further stability before we go with a bigger risk. If we are looking like failing this season then by all means I'd consider Dean or the like because we're likely looking at a longer term project if we fail this season. Any other situation that doesnt involve Bruce needs to be considering an experienced manager that is a bit of a coup for the club. Somebody who has been around the block but has keep up with the evolution of the game.

I think he need's to add to his backroom staff he needs a coach that can form a plan of attack because we look so clueless going forward. I look at other team's in this league that haven't got the resources we have and they attack so much better than we do i'm not saying they score goals but they create chances some thing we are lacking and we need to be able to put a team on the back foot and keep them there and be able to pick them apart. Maybe i'm asking for too much but this team is hard to watch.

I think he will get the chance to see someone else do better to be honest, this poor style of play, scraping a win v Yeovil, being poor v 10 man Ipswich etc, it's not going to impress the new owners I don't think.

Fake news mate.

I f you can provide a link to show me where he said that it would be appreciated , but all the quotes I have seen from him have not said that.

I think he will get the chance to see someone else do better to be honest, this poor style of play, scraping a win v Yeovil, being poor v 10 man Ipswich etc, it's not going to impress the new owners I don't think.

Thats if they understand "soccer". We all thought Xia understood :eek!:

Not a fan of Bruce the manager I am a fan of Bruce the man showed loyalty courage and determination to stay with the club when it would have been easy to walk away.Yes i agree it is probably the biggest job he will ever have.

Do not understand why he persists with Jedinak at CB unless in training Axel is that much worse. We have 3-4 choices for right back while Axel looks more at home at CB. We do not have a style of play mainly because as others have stated to many out of position. Its frustrating even more so when the manager was a CB himself we are an injury away to Chester from the season going down the tubes. (can you imagine a CB pairing of Jedinak & Axel ?) Strange as it seems I can see Bruce addressing the right wing and forward requirements in the loan window but not the CB and with a new goalkeeper he needs the comfort of a settled and experienced defence in front of him. I am loathe to call for Bruces head simply because I do not know who we could bring in as manager and we all know how many duds are out there,we have employed most of them.