The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 154 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

I think if/when the owners change manager they will go for a name rather than a Dean Smith. It's what these foreign owners seem to do

I can't see him going unless we go on a run of bad results. They'll be looking at the poor performances so far and be unimpressed no doubt but if they weren't going to give him time they'd have just binned him off the moment they arrived. Personally I think he'll be gone in the summer whatever happens.

I can't see him going unless we go on a run of bad results. They'll be looking at the poor performances so far and be unimpressed no doubt but if they weren't going to give him time they'd have just binned him off the moment they arrived. Personally I think he'll be gone in the summer whatever happens.

I often wonder if they know if it's a bad performance or they just look at results.
What I mean is I could watch an American football game or even a Rugby game and I couldn't tell you if it was a good game, but I could tell you which team won

I often wonder if they know if it's a bad performance or they just look at results.
What I mean is I could watch an American football game or even a Rugby game and I couldn't tell you if it was a good game, but I could tell you which team won

Well unless they were bullshitting they seem to be at least fairly interested in football. Egypt is a football mad country so it's not Outrageous to believe that Sawiris knows a shit performance from a good one. Even if they know feck all these are serious people who will have someone who knows football advising them I assume.

I'm pretty sure Sawiris understands football. It's by far the most popular sport in Egypt and wasn't he supposed to be a season ticket holder at Arsenal a few years ago?

Not knocking the new owners, I think they are the real deal.
It's just that some people don't have the in-depth knowledge that some of us do.
You only have to look at some of the owners who employ names to know that, RDM being a classic "name" appointment. Appointed on a CV that said Champions league winner,

It's just that some people don't have the in-depth knowledge that some of us do.
You only have to look at some of the owners who employ names to know that, RDM being a classic "name" appointment. Appointed on a CV that said Champions league winner,

Wasn't Steve Bruce appointed on the recommendation of Brian Little? I'm sure he would know more than all of us.

The only issue with someone like Dean Smith is you still have someone who is still learning and at a club with no expectation.

The day a manager stops learning, whether he's been a manager for one day or thirty years, is the day he should retire.
Having a manager who's been around the block, is exactly what we have now in Steve Bruce.
Having an experienced manager, one who's been around the block, is no guarentee of success, or improvement, not even stability.

I

However, such people tend to know what they know and know what they don't. They get advice. Abramovich when he bought Chelsea, the Man C owners. Tone did it on his own, mainly, although I think he had advice on Wyness.

So far the new owners strike me as being pretty shrewd. They're ambitious but don't underestimate things.

I wouldn't say 'with no expectation' CDX, only yesterday I saw that Brentford are shorter odds than us for promotion.

That doe's matter if the fans don't expect to finish ahead of us. We've had a turbulent pre-season but 80% of people going to VP still expect us to get promoted.

The day a manager stops learning, whether he's been a manager for one day or thirty years, is the day he should retire.
Having a manager who's been around the block, is exactly what we have now in Steve Bruce.
Having an experienced manager, one who's been around the block, is no guarentee of success, or improvement, not even stability.

To be fair 1958 I did say all that and clarified that the experience had to be matched with keeping up with the evolution of the game.

For me there is a certain peak a manager needs to reach before you can say they've had enough experience for you to be confident they can turn things around or rebuild a team etc.

Why?
He failed miserably at Swansea.
He's now at Celtic, where a blind mans dog could manage the team to a winning season.
They don't exactly do well in European football do they?

I agree but he's a high profile name and I can see our high profile owners going for someone like him.

Why?
He failed miserably at Swansea.

Errr... What??? :unsure:

He got them promoted in his first season, then got them to finish 11th in their first ever season in the Premier League.

He did that playing nice attractive football.

That's why Liverpool hired him.

He then got Liverpool to within a Steven Gerrard slip of winning the Premier League and has broken records left right and centre in Scotland.... yes anyone can win games managing Celtic, but he's done it better than most.

I'm a huge Bruce fan and want him to stay, but IF he were to go Rodgers would be the only appointment I'd be happy with.

With Bruce - Only 2 defeats in last 27 games at Villa Park.

Before Bruce - only 3 wins in 25 games at Villa Park.

The shortness of people's memories astounds me, as does the vitriol directed at Bruce.

The turnaround under Brucie has been incredible.

With Bruce - Only 2 defeats in last 27 games at Villa Park.

Before Bruce - only 3 wins in 25 games at Villa Park.

The shortness of people's memories astounds me, as does the vitriol directed at Bruce.

The turnaround under Brucie has been incredible.

Yes by breaking the bank but he's still not got us in the prem