The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 155 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Bruce has not broken the bank, he's made a profit!!!

Please don't count Di Matteo's signings when judging Bruce, he didn't sign them Di Matteo did!

Yeah I'd agree with that. I'm one of his biggest fans but if he doesn't get us up this season he has to go.

But lets back him while he's here rather than slating him for 3 wins and a draw in 4 games.

I'll back him until we lose touch with the leaders but he just doesn't help himself with some of his decisions.

Errr... What??? :unsure:

He got them promoted in his first season, then got them to finish 11th in their first ever season in the Premier League.

He did that playing nice attractive football.

That's why Liverpool hired him.

He then got Liverpool to within a Steven Gerrard slip of winning the Premier League and has broken records left right and centre in Scotland.... yes anyone can win games managing Celtic, but he's done it better than most.

I'm a huge Bruce fan and want him to stay, but IF he were to go Rodgers would be the only appointment I'd be happy with.

Yep. Hope Bruce succeeds but if not then Rodgers certainly ticks all the right boxes.

Promotion, attractive football, premier league big club, titles in Scotland (I know!!!).

The only draw back is he doesn't support us which apparently is a key attribute.

I'm one of his biggest fans but
Really Deano, I hadn't really noticed:p

The reality is in the middle of the argument. Yes he has had a positive effect on morale, results and bringing in players. No he hasn't got us promoted or playing a recognised style and is prone to losing streaks and self confessed mistakes.

Sort out the negatives and we have a keeper; a Gordon Banks type keeper, not a Brad Guzan (who played with no discernable style and was prone to the odd mistake) lol.

My personal view is that Bruce has a chance to get us up this season (probably through the play-offs IMHO).

A new guy now, will probably have to win over the players, the fans etc and again IMHO is less likely than SB to take us to the play-offs. Pep had a pre-season and didn't achieve much in his first year, Klopp - similar, so we would be writing off this season basically.

Possibly a better long term solution to appoint now - if they can get a marquee manager, but certainly not in the short term. For me SB, should be further along than he is now - that's what worries me, can he take us any further or gas he plateaued?

I think tomorrow night will give us an indication if we are good enough as so far the opposition has been bang average at best.

Yep. Hope Bruce succeeds but if not then Rodgers certainly ticks all the right boxes.

Promotion, attractive football, premier league big club, titles in Scotland (I know!!!).

The only draw back is he doesn't support us which apparently is a key attribute.

I'd completely forgotten Smith was a Villa fan to be honest. But you're not going to let up on that are you? lol

Rodgers would certainly be an exciting appointment, and has big club experience which is vital.

When Bruce does go eventually (with my best wishes) Rodgers would be my first choice. Even if we're not in the Premier League I wonder could the new owners lure him.

Is Rogers young and hungry enough ?

Face facts. We may not be in the same dire straits as we were a few weeks ago, but there is still not much money available, and we don't know yet how we'll fare with FFP.

So any new manager is going to be operating under big financial restraints. Tricky one. May be a way around it, may be not. Against that, Bruce can manage with the budget he's got. Point in his favour.

Whatever happens I can't see Bruce being here next season. If we don't go up this season I think he's a gonner. If we do then I think he'll get a nice big pay off, a pat on the back and the owners will appoint someone else to spend a vast amount of money improving the squad.