The Official Notts County Match Thread (Sponsored by Big Nev "for all your giant blue human needs") | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Official Notts County Match Thread (Sponsored by Big Nev "for all your giant blue human needs")

Let's overlook the first 20 minutes. After that it was a top class performance. Patient, composed and ruthless. In the second half we looked like we might score every time we attacked.

Really good play from JW to initiate the move that led to the corner for the third goal. And Ogie was excellent.

No that’s blx. I don’t think we “gave a moan “ and that’s why they underperform . Last two games at home (FGR and Walsall) they’ve been terrible in the first half and it’s pretty much been a muted response from Priestfield (what else you gonna get?) today it was great, and you have the siege mentality as it’s away- it’s just football.

No that’s blx. I don’t think we “gave a moan “ and that’s why they underperform . Last two games at home (FGR and Walsall) they’ve been terrible in the first half and it’s pretty much been a muted response from Priestfield (what else you gonna get?) today it was great, and you have the siege mentality as it’s away- it’s just football.
It’s not bollox daft lad.

See a few more games and then have a view.

That was great, weren't it?! A really entertaining game between two good teams who were both trying to play the game the right way.

The way the game started I thought we might struggle. Notts County are a very good team and they seemed to be pressurising us into making mistakes. And then they scored.

But what a comeback! We showed them that we can play a bit too, and scored two quality goals.

Second half we were even better. Fantastic that we got a third, oh so close to getting a fourth.

The whole team played with determination and intelligence. Johnny Williams though - I've not seen all the games but that's the best I've seen him play for us. He gave the kind of performance tonight that I was expecting from him when I heard he signed from us - absolutely fantastic! Hutton is great at swinging those crosses and corners in, he's a fine addition to the team. And I was impressed with Josh Walker's contribution tonight as well. He gave a committed performance for us and played his part by defending from attack, closing down and dropping back and wide. I appreciated his and all the players' effort.

Tactics and team selection and substitutions were absolutely spot on from Clemence. He looked fired up on the touchline, and again at the end, celebrating with the players and fans.

Really good performance, huge result, a come-back win away from home, three goals, back in the play offs. Bring on the Swine!

UTG!
Agree about Williams and Walker both did a sterling job at both ends of the pitch.

That was great, weren't it?! A really entertaining game between two good teams who were both trying to play the game the right way.

The way the game started I thought we might struggle. Notts County are a very good team and they seemed to be pressurising us into making mistakes. And then they scored.

But what a comeback! We showed them that we can play a bit too, and scored two quality goals.

Second half we were even better. Fantastic that we got a third, oh so close to getting a fourth.

The whole team played with determination and intelligence. Johnny Williams though - I've not seen all the games but that's the best I've seen him play for us. He gave the kind of performance tonight that I was expecting from him when I heard he signed from us - absolutely fantastic! Hutton is great at swinging those crosses and corners in, he's a fine addition to the team. And I was impressed with Josh Walker's contribution tonight as well. He gave a committed performance for us and played his part by defending from attack, closing down and dropping back and wide. I appreciated his and all the players' effort.

Tactics and team selection and substitutions were absolutely spot on from Clemence. He looked fired up on the touchline, and again at the end, celebrating with the players and fans.

Really good performance, huge result, a come-back win away from home, three goals, back in the play offs. Bring on the Swine!

UTG!
Can’t read all that Buddha but I’m assuming it’s positive so have a like!

Just made the short trip home. Cracking night. Decent performance without being outstanding. The difference was that we actually took some chances and could have had five on another day.

Johnny Williams was excellent and well done Oli Hawkins who clearly isn’t 100%.
MoM - us fans. What a turnout and brilliant noise.

Just made the short trip home. Cracking night. Decent performance without being outstanding. The difference was that we actually took some chances and could have had five on another day.

Johnny Williams was excellent and well done Oli Hawkins who clearly isn’t 100%.
MoM - us fans. What a turnout and brilliant noise.

Btw - top marks to whoever’s produced this - stuck on the wall in the bar area at Meadow Lane.

Attachments

• 8018AC18-5F3E-4F63-9840-6F7258FEE0A6.jpeg
    8018AC18-5F3E-4F63-9840-6F7258FEE0A6.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 45
Let's overlook the first 20 minutes. After that it was a top class performance. Patient, composed and ruthless. In the second half we looked like we might score every time we attacked.

Really good play from JW to initiate the move that led to the corner for the third goal. And Ogie was excellent.
What was so wrong about the first 20 mins.
County came out firing on all cylinders and wouldn't let us have the ball, as expected. We contained them until we lost a bit of concentration and gave them a too much room. Gills then proceeded to give Notts County a bit of a spanking.
Nothing forgettable in that lot

That was a hugely encouraging performance, using the best players for the formation, rather than trying to fit the best players into it.

Going a goal down, getting goals back, seeing a game out with room to spare. These are things that anyone supporting a normal football team might reasonably expect to happen once in a while, but it's been so long that I'd forgotten what it was like.

Things are on the right track. Long may it continue.

One thing that stands out for me is at 2-1 and 3-1 we were still sending the centre backs up for corners and long throws. None of this protect what we have rubbish. The mentality just seemed different tonight. That could be because the players quickly worked out that County would give us chances, but to go 1-0 down then take the game to them almost immediately was very impressive, and must give confidence to the players that we can score goals and win from losing positions.

One thing that stands out for me is at 2-1 and 3-1 we were still sending the centre backs up for corners and long throws. None of this protect what we have rubbish. The mentality just seemed different tonight. That could be because the players quickly worked out that County would give us chances, but to go 1-0 down then take the game to them almost immediately was very impressive, and must give confidence to the players that we can score goals and win from losing positions.

I noticed the same. Even when we won a corner in the last few mins, we didn’t try and hold it up at the corner flag. That tactic never works anyhow.

I noticed the same. Even when we won a corner in the last few mins, we didn’t try and hold it up at the corner flag. That tactic never works anyhow.

The RK commentators did mention at one point near the end when we had a corner that the centre backs didn't seem to be preparing to go up, until they realised Notts had everyone back and so they might as well go up for the corner.