The Official Notts County Match Thread (Sponsored by Big Nev "for all your giant blue human needs") | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Official Notts County Match Thread (Sponsored by Big Nev "for all your giant blue human needs")

I noticed the same. Even when we won a corner in the last few mins, we didn’t try and hold it up at the corner flag. That tactic never works anyhow.

I know where you are coming from but at that stage of the game, after the subs, we were set up to sit back, soak up and counter attack. And we had a two goal cushion! It made sense.

On the flip side, going forward there will be times when we have a slender lead in tight games and as negative as it is a bit of time wasting near the corner will se us over the line.

Horses for courses!

So good to get up in the morning after an evening game without your chin on the floor!
Great performance last night by everyone especially our supporters who travelled again in large numbers. Their efforts were well rewarded last night!
We did against Notts last night what we could and should against so many teams this season who were there for the taking. We were so hungry for more goals, something we rarely see from the Gills. Even at 3-1 we pushed for and nearly got a fourth.
Hopefully we can get a similar performance and result on Tuesday night against the swine.
COYBB

Cracking performance showing what the likes of Ehmer, Dieng and Hawkins can bring to the side without being blessed with searing pace. The better quality delivery from the likes of Hutton and Williams makes all the difference. I thought Walker gave everything as well.

My only note of caution is that we seem to be playing our best against good teams who are maybe suspect at the back and play a more open game - 7 goals now in the 4 games against MK and Notts C but only 1 in 2 against FGR and 2 in 2 against Sutton plus just an oggie in 2 games against Crawley, who would "sit in" and get numbers behind the ball.

If that continues, I am optimistic about the Swine game as they have been conceding a lot, but I still think we will struggle against less ambitious but organised teams that come to Priestfield. I really hope I am wrong.

UTG !!

Cracking performance showing what the likes of Ehmer, Dieng and Hawkins can bring to the side without being blessed with searing pace. The better quality delivery from the likes of Hutton and Williams makes all the difference. I thought Walker gave everything as well.

My only note of caution is that we seem to be playing our best against good teams who are maybe suspect at the back and play a more open game - 7 goals now in the 4 games against MK and Notts C but only 1 in 2 against FGR and 2 in 2 against Sutton plus just an oggie in 2 games against Crawley, who would "sit in" and get numbers behind the ball.

If that continues, I am optimistic about the Swine game as they have been conceding a lot, but I still think we will struggle against less ambitious but organised teams that come to Priestfield. I really hope I am wrong.

UTG !!
Fair point. We need to find a way to open up the ultra defensive sides especially at Priestfield. Hopefully last night will give the team the confidence to play with a tad more intensity & urgency at home.

It was a cracking all round performance, with a better tempo and intent, moved the ball quicker and had players playing in positions they looked comfortable in. Think last night proves just what this group can achieve and now they've set the standard. If we play like that most weeks there won't be a lot to fear in this league.

Thought JW was class, Dieng made a big difference and OH was a ha dful all night but whilst as good as we looked going forward (OK they looked shite at the back) we looked solid defensively too. Thought Max Clark played well too. Glad he didn't go anywhere in the window. He might just be a better option than Malone at LWB.

We need to put a run together now and back this performance up. We can do it.

Credit to SC too, it was a bold brave performance and game plan and the players carried it out to a tee.

Special mention to the great away support, again, for once they were well rewarded.

UTFG.

At least we have now passed 44 points which is the number that would have avoided relegation last season.

From a Notts fan on thefootballforum.net:
I know people go overboard after games like tonight’s but I’m glad we’ve (just) got enough points to stay out of the relegation places. Can’t see where another win is coming from. We’ve completely arsed up the transfer window to add to the problems we had before.

Textbook away performance.

JW showed what he's made of, not only with the performance, but his attitude. One little example I loved was him winning a throw-in through some dogged play, got a strong reaction from the Gills fans and as he ran over to us to retrieve the ball he was absolutely beaming. He was loving it. This infectious enthusiasm makes a big difference.

Malone at the end forcing Hurtado to do a fist pump was brilliant. Clark's reaction with the fans after scoring. Masterson and Ogie reactions were great. They do care.

The ingredients are there for this to be a loveable group, just hope we can find some sustained form and more dominant home performances to start having some consistent synergy between the lads and the fans.

Was annoyed when this fixture got changed to Friday, but now glad it was. Will be a memorable away day, and top marks to the other 950. However the flipside is that I only wangled the trip due to proximity to the in-laws, so today I have a full day of sitting in a living room making smalltalk all day, unlike the usual quick morning visit and an escape after the game.

UTFG

That was a great watch. As much as last weekends game was boring, frustrating and ultimately disappointing yesterday was the complete polar opposite.
The contrast between the Walsall performance and last nights was astounding. Unbelievable even.

A shakey first 10 minutes where Notts had all the ball and seemed to cut us apart at Will had me worried. When they scored, again, it was our own loose pass in the middle that gave the ball away. Then County’s quick, incisive passing coupled with our usual lethargy to chase or tackle saw them score and I really feared the worst.

However from that point we stated to grow into the game and actually played some nice stuff ourselves at times.
Hutton bombing up and down the right really has given us something else, by giving the NC back line something to think about he layed the ball off for CM to put in an absolute peach. Straight onto Olis noggin. Fuckin handsome!
Then JW (who had a great game) broke on the left and nearly put one on a plate for (I think) walker but his cross was too close to the keeper.

At half time I was really enjoying the game. There were clearly more goals in it, I did wonder if we would keep the impetus upor if Notts would get back into it. Obviously I needn’t have worried. The second half was a masterclass in away performances. We were strong, good in the tackle, began to press them quicker and apart from a few routine catches in the last 10 minutes I can’t remember Jake needing to do anything of note.

So, so pleased for Max Clark. A really sublime finish for the second and has patiently waited his chance. Gives us great balance on the left.

Good instincts for Conor to nut in the third. I’m sure he had another good chance too, and was it Dieng that hit both posts? I remember it happening, but was halfway through my crate of Corona by then and had an eye on the bottle of red that the wife had just opened.

Loved the celebrations at the end. And fair play to the 950 that travelled. You’ve deserved a night like that.

Can’t wait for Tuesday now. UTG!

I thought the feature of the first 10 minutes was the highly erratic nature of our passing. We either gave the ball straight to an opponent or, with players in space, chose to go backwards often putting ourselves in trouble in the process. They say goals change games and ours certainly did. The passing improved out of all recognition once the two 1st half goals went in and we looked a different side. Perhaps it really is just a confidence thing. As a performance it was very similar to the Swindon away game but with the bonus of more chances and goals. So we’ve always had it in us. We just need to see it a bit more regularly.

I know where you are coming from but at that stage of the game, after the subs, we were set up to sit back, soak up and counter attack. And we had a two goal cushion! It made sense.

On the flip side, going forward there will be times when we have a slender lead in tight games and as negative as it is a bit of time wasting near the corner will se us over the line.

Horses for courses!
IMO, the only time to take the ball to the corner flag is in the last minute of added time.

Just before that, depending on how many players we have up - either
cause a bit of mayhem by putting the ball into the area - or hoof the ball into the into the stands on the far side.

Fabulous team performance but can`t help an extra mention for Jonny Williams - now that is the Jonny Williams we`ve been waiting to appear for a while now. Maybe he`s fully recovered from injury - sensational from the Welshman.

Nice touch after the final whistle by Scott Malone - who actively encouraged Jorge to take the oooooh-ooooh salute !

Well done the Gills