The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Neck Oil "for all your "oh shit I forgot" needs") | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Neck Oil "for all your "oh shit I forgot" needs")

That was absolutely awful
Shit performance
Shit referee
Even the ball boys were poor

Where do they find these referees? Are there any good ones at all at this level?

Newport on the other hand looked pretty handy
Bogle was a right handful, everything we wanted Hawkins to be

Shit performance
Shit referee

Where do they find these referees? Are there any good ones at all at this level?

Poor official poor performance very disappointing display they seemed to want it more we seemed very disjointed

Shit performance
Shit referee

Could we afford Bogle?

Shit performance
Shit referee

:band2:
Don't blame it on per-form-ance
Don't blame on the ref-er-reeee
Don't blame it on the ball boys
Blame it on the Boo-glee

Reality check. Next season will not be a walk in the park. Why do we always seem to lose in front of a bumper crowd?

Reality check was what struck me after today, but not because I think we won’t do well next season. I heard Radio Kent before the match posing whether we needed that many improvements as our form has been so good in the new year. The positive for me from today was that, if we do want to get promoted next season and that’s Brad’s stated aim and should be all of ours, it’s clear and obvious that we do need considerable investment and additions. We have the basics of a good team, but not quite good enough as today proved where we deservedly lost to a poor Newport side.

Could we afford Bogle?

I’d imagine so given the market we’re operating in now. He’s scored about 15 for Newport this season, which is decent but hardly world beating and prior to that, his record is sketchy to average. If we can afford to trigger the buy out clause and wages of League One regular and player of the year like Dieng, I’d imagine we could afford Bogle.

Personally, I wouldn’t want him. Scored a decent goal, but spent most of the game diving and whining to the ref.

Reality check was what struck me after today, but not because I think we won’t do well next season. I heard Radio Kent before the match posing whether we needed that many improvements as our form has been so good in the new year. The positive for me from today was that, if we do want to get promoted next season and that’s Brad’s stated aim and should be all of ours, it’s clear and obvious that we do need considerable investment and additions. We have the basics of a good team, but not quite good enough as today proved where we deservedly lost to a poor Newport side.
None of us should lose sight of the fact that Brad and Co see it as a five season project to get to the Championship so we might well be two years away from promotion 🥴

Today was just the wrong tone all over, other than the remembrance for Tony Smith. The enjoyment was sucked out of 8,000 fans with a lacklustre performance between tannoy announcements threatening 3-year bans for blah blah blah.

It’s disappointing for the home fans especially after the farcical end to the last home game, and frustrating after such a good performance last Saturday.

Poor substitution decisions from Harris - MacDonald was fucked shortly after half time, it was a joke to keep him on until the end even after bringing on Clarke!

Salford will be better 👍👍

I was very disappointed today but having had time to reflect I can’t complain
I missed the Boxing Day defeat against Colchester was impressed with our effort against Leicester but then we played Hartlepool and our whole season turned on its head
What we have achieved is remarkable the takeover has saved our club and the ride has been amazing
I can’t wait to see who we sign in the summer and bring on next season
Yes today was disappointing but it’s a million miles away from being next season’s Scunthorpe and possibly disappearing altogether
I have faith that Brad and Shannon will take us forward and am so glad they’ve given us our club back
Onwards and upwards

I’d imagine so given the market we’re operating in now. He’s scored about 15 for Newport this season, which is decent but hardly world beating and prior to that, his record is sketchy to average. If we can afford to trigger the buy out clause and wages of League One regular and player of the year like Dieng, I’d imagine we could afford Bogle.

Personally, I wouldn’t want him. Scored a decent goal, but spent most of the game diving and whining to the ref.
Just think what another ten goals from one of our strikers might have done for us!

I think we have another Herr in our midst ! I'm throwing him under the bus - my son - he confessed he's not seen a gills goal or win since 2021 season. He could have sorted both with his Doncaster ticket but overslept and missed his train from London. Today he didn't oversleep and can claim a goal but not a win.

On a serious note in December you'd have bitten the hand off for a new owner and not being relegation to oblivion. Mission accomplished. Lets celebrate that. Better times are ahead and that's something Scally just couldn't offer.

Today though was a real damp squib. We've discussed at length this season whether the people of Medway and Kent deserved a football club. They've stood up and been counted since January and a nigh on 8K crowd for a nothing game is impressive.

The players less so, second half we struggled to get a grip and I felt that if anyone was likely to score it would be Newport from a set piece. They were basic but effective.

MOM for McDonald was laughable - unless over hit crosses count double.

Disappointing end to home games but lets take the positives - the ground was packed, people were (1) spending money pre-game and post game in the factory. (2) We are safe and (3) Scally is no longer the owner.

Reasons to be cheerful 1, 2 and effin 3 !!!

Roll on August - now for summer of beer gardens, paddleboards and BBQs :-)

Beautiful day and a nice send off from the fans after the final whistle.

Disappointing performance, but it matters not one jot, the improvement in the team and all round from the club since the start of the year is nothing short of remarkable. Well done to everyone involved.

Up The Gills!

Lots of talk on Gills Discussion forum about Scally being the one who’s running the club again with Fisher having left and the Galinsons being in the States. Even blaming him for staff no-shows meaning only 2 turnstiles were open in the Gordon Road Stand leading to huge queues before kickoff, and no food in the Rainham End pre-game.
I do wish Fisher had stayed at the club for another season at least. I’ve a feeling Scally staying on as a director was a condition of the sale.
Some claim to have spoken to Macca today and apparently it’s Scally who is dealing with player contracts and he’s not happy with what Macca has been offered, hence the delay.
Anyway take it all with a pinch of sale really, at least we still have a league club to watch next season!

We looked a better side without Hawkins today.
Newport came and did a good job, and deserved their win.
A good crowd, I arrived at ten to three and still missed the kick off, next time a big crowd is expected I will get there earlier. Roll on August.

We looked a better side without Hawkins today.
Newport came and did a good job, and deserved their win.
A good crowd, I arrived at ten to three and still missed the kick off, next time a big crowd is expected I will get there earlier. Roll on August.

Thought Hawkins was the wrong choice of sub at the time

Should have been Abrahams on imho
We were looking to hit them on the counter but just lacked the pace to break away. Abrahams would have helped with that.

Thought Hawkins was the wrong choice of sub at the time

Should have been Abrahams on imho
We were looking to hit them on the counter but just lacked the pace to break away. Abrahams would have helped with that.

Agree, as much as I like the Hawk when he comes on we push Lapslie out wide where he is far less effective and then struggle to create much through the middle.

Lack of quality options in wide areas showed today .I felt Townsend in the Newport goal had a good game and possibly tipped the balance in their favour.
It was hard to pick a MOTM for us everywhere you looked the players seemed off the boil .Possibly missing Shaun Williams calming influence and quality. Not that Coleman had a bad game but like others he wasn't at his best.