The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Neck Oil "for all your "oh shit I forgot" needs") | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Neck Oil "for all your "oh shit I forgot" needs")

Lots of talk on Gills Discussion forum about Scally being the one who’s running the club again with Fisher having left and the Galinsons being in the States. Even blaming him for staff no-shows meaning only 2 turnstiles were open in the Gordon Road Stand leading to huge queues before kickoff, and no food in the Rainham End pre-game.
I do wish Fisher had stayed at the club for another season at least. I’ve a feeling Scally staying on as a director was a condition of the sale.
Some claim to have spoken to Macca today and apparently it’s Scally who is dealing with player contracts and he’s not happy with what Macca has been offered, hence the delay.
Anyway take it all with a pinch of sale really, at least we still have a league club to watch next season!
Ah please don’t ruin my mood with this. You know I’ll log onto Facebook and vent. Scally’s nowhere near CEO/COO level. Not that I know what Kelly’s like though, in her role as Finance Director.

Last edited:
Really disappointed with today’s performance and experience. On the latter, the fact that some have suggested that Scally is running operations again is a concern and may explain some of the problems. We had a nightmare today - M20 shut in Ashford and, although leaving early, traffic in Medway was bad (none of this is the club’s fault of course), but when we got to Priestfield still 30 mins before kick off, there were huge queues - like I’ve not seen for years. We go in on the Gordon Road Rainham end side and the queue started at Redfern Avenue. As things progressed, it was clear that we’d not get in for the start and we just got in to see the Newport goal and there were a lot of people behind us - stewards and the police were well aware of this so not sure why the kick off wasn’t delayed. This is something we need to sort our next year - on top of that, the Medway and RE were sold out and the GRS was pretty much sold out, yet we allocated the whole Town End and two blocks in the GRS to 400 Newport fans. Need to sort that out.

As for the match, it was disappointing. But I’d rather have a disappointing match now than next season when it counts. We were much the better team after Newport scored and got a deserved equaliser with a rash challenge from the Newport defender on Nichols who was not really going anywhere. Second half was a major disappointment. Newport, who are a poor side, seemed to want it more and in particular seemed to be first to the second and third ball.

For me, it was obvious that we’d concede in the second half. We looked to have run out of steam and yet again, Harris seemed to delay subs when it was obvious we needed them. Personally I think we really missed Williams today - Coleman is a great prospect, but just doesn’t instil as much control and confidence.

As I said elsewhere, today’s result and performance may not be a bad thing as I think it makes it clear that we need to re-enforce and sign some quality for next season.

Really disappointed with today’s performance and experience. On the latter, the fact that some have suggested that Scally is running operations again is a concern and may explain some of the problems. We had a nightmare today - M20 shut in Ashford and, although leaving early, traffic in Medway was bad (none of this is the club’s fault of course), but when we got to Priestfield still 30 mins before kick off, there were huge queues - like I’ve not seen for years. We go in on the Gordon Road Rainham end side and the queue started at Redfern Avenue. As things progressed, it was clear that we’d not get in for the start and we just got in to see the Newport goal and there were a lot of people behind us - stewards and the police were well aware of this so not sure why the kick off wasn’t delayed. This is something we need to sort our next year - on top of that, the Medway and RE were sold out and the GRS was pretty much sold out, yet we allocated the whole Town End and two blocks in the GRS to 400 Newport fans. Need to sort that out.

As for the match, it was disappointing. But I’d rather have a disappointing match now than next season when it counts. We were much the better team after Newport scored and got a deserved equaliser with a rash challenge from the Newport defender on Nichols who was not really going anywhere. Second half was a major disappointment. Newport, who are a poor side, seemed to want it more and in particular seemed to be first to the second and third ball.

For me, it was obvious that we’d concede in the second half. We looked to have run out of steam and yet again, Harris seemed to delay subs when it was obvious we needed them. Personally I think we really missed Williams today - Coleman is a great prospect, but just doesn’t instil as much control and confidence.

As I said elsewhere, today’s result and performance may not be a bad thing as I think it makes it clear that we need to re-enforce and sign some quality for next season.

The club are bound to offer a certain percentage of covered seating to away fans, hence the Gordon Road issues. As to the Town End the top section is closed pending works if and when justified (possibly with bigger followings in league one). That leaves the option of opening both sides of BM stand but that option comes with the obligation of extra stewarding and mandatory extra police body at £3800. All very frustrating but unavoidable.

Great idea of erecting the massive barrier to stop the RE fans getting onto the pitch after the game. Hundreds attempting to swarm the field, but were kept back by the stewards and the barrier. Or could be the piss poor performance, wasn't worth celebrating!

Ah please don’t ruin my mood with this. You know I’ll log onto Facebook and vent. Scally’s nowhere near CEO/COO level. Not that I know what Kelly’s like though.

Probably rubbish speculation about Scally but you can not avoid the fact that Fisher has gone and not been replaced, like for like, which just adds to that speculation, particularly when the fan experience goes back to resembling the Scally led bad old days.

Hopefully, an appointment will be announced in early summer that will allay those fears.

Bitterly disappointed yesterday, probably because after the Bradford game I was expecting another good performance. We never got going yesterday and the result dampened the celebrations after the game, fair play to Newport who looked half decent.

Probably rubbish speculation about Scally but you can not avoid the fact that Fisher has gone and not been replaced, like for like, which just adds to that speculation, particularly when the fan experience goes back to resembling the Scally led bad old days.

Hopefully, an appointment will be announced in early summer that will allay those fears.

Completely new management structure with individuals given responsibility and expected to get on with what they have been employed to do. I t couldn't be more different from the Scally era. Speak to employees at any level and they say the same. I don't know what the intentions are for a CEO but that role may be less important under the new set up.

Completely new management structure with individuals given responsibility and expected to get on with what they have been employed to do. I t couldn't be more different from the Scally era. Speak to employees at any level and they say the same. I don't know what the intentions are for a CEO but that role may be less important under the new set up.
Maybe the Gallinsons are running the club day-to-day from the States?

That's certainly how the Galinsons have described the way they set up their companies.

The concern for me is how much someone who ruled the place for 25 years is prepared to stand by and let them get on with it without interfering. I don't believe he can (based on facts I have seen).

I think Fisher leaving so abruptly and before the season ended is a red flag. We will probably never publicly know the full reasons but lets remember the Gallinsons said fisher was staying and a big part of their plans when they took over - 4 months later he's gone of his choosing. You would think he would want to be part of this exciting project unless there is something in the way.

I imagine its hard for a new organisation to set up and to run effectively when the old organisation (sic) is still there.

Let's hope its nothing but conjecture - we need off the field Gills to be effective for on the field Gills to be sustainable and generate the funds for the club to push on.

The Galinsons are looking like remote owners meaning they (and we) need strong and trusted leadership in Kent on a daily basis. I think many felt Fisher gave us that - whose filling that void is important.........and not yet announced unless I missed it.

The club felt more united from January, lets hope that feeling doesn't starts to fracture. Fisher leaving before the season end makes me worry on that front.

Someone posted this on Twitter. Apparently Brads post on the “discussion forum” in answer to people saying “Scally is in control”.

Can’t bring myself to look on there myself.

11525FF5-6235-4CA8-BA4D-4C965853151E.jpeg

The club are bound to offer a certain percentage of covered seating to away fans, hence the Gordon Road issues. As to the Town End the top section is closed pending works if and when justified (possibly with bigger followings in league one). That leaves the option of opening both sides of BM stand but that option comes with the obligation of extra stewarding and mandatory extra police body at £3800. All very frustrating but unavoidable.

I can live with it this season, but if we do as well as we hope next season, I can see crowds increasing. If yesterday was anything to go by, we may be limited to a capacity of around 7000-7500 home fans, which may well not be good enough and mean we lose revenue and prospective fans can’t get it. We need to sort out where away fans go and maximise seats available for home fans. The good thing is that I trust Galinson to sort it out, whereas Scally probably would have just not bothered.

Someone posted this on Twitter. Apparently Brads post on the “discussion forum” in answer to people saying “Scally is in control”.

Can’t bring myself to look on there myself.

View attachment 65165

Nice words from Brad but I'd love to have the insight of someone who works there and have them confirm that Scally lets the employees run the club and not interfere with their increased responsibilities. Given that by his own admission Scally run the club almost by himself for years hard to believe he can let go of authority just like that. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes out over the coming months from employees and ex-employees.

Mission accomplished and flippin` well done to our 2023 Gills. But, with total respect for our guys, the team that has saved us from going down is not strong enough to take us up next season - that`s been clear for some time and was surely never the "plan". Surely, our M.O. was always to recruit well enough to stay up, which we`ve done brilliantly, with the intention of extra recruitment in the offseason to build a promotion team. That`s the course we appear to be on - the nucleus is there. Add a couple of very good strikers - Hawks is unlikely to be our #1 striker next season, plus five or six more players and we`ll be treated to a promotion run - every confidence in that as our path for 23/24.

Been so impressed with George Lapslie, he is absolute quality, especially playing in the middle just behind our front man/men - it`s his much favoured position. Hopefully, next season he`ll be in that role regularly.

Regarding PS - there are still some idiots more concerned with their vendetta against him than with the success of the Club - absolute plonkers. At Bradford, I saw a certain person walk up the isle and join those in the more vocal section. Within a few minutes, even before the game had started, there was a chorus of "Scally Out" - pathetic.

Anyway, it`s on to Salford next week where I expect to see us play an attacking game, in the vein of that we saw at Bradford, to see the season out on a positive note. Salford will need to win and keep an eye on other results. Ideal scenario for us !! COYG.

Nice words from Brad but I'd love to have the insight of someone who works there and have them confirm that Scally lets the employees run the club and not interfere with their increased responsibilities. Given that by his own admission Scally run the club almost by himself for years hard to believe he can let go of authority just like that. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes out over the coming months from employees and ex-employees.
I don't think the pessimism of your last two posts will come to pass.

GST had a meeting pre-match with a member of Brad's management team.

It was at Priestfield. Something not possible for years, so a great improvement for fan engagement.

We were told that Brad has created a management structure with clear, distinct tasks.

More importantly, each Manager is expected to get on with his tasks.
For example if someone wants to try something, Brad generally says "go for it".
One exception was the Crawley "Pay what you can" because that had a significant cost, so Brad wanted to approve it.

If only we had read this topic before, we might have asked directly:
"Does Mr Scally run things in Brad's absence?"

All we can say is that there was no hint that Scally is running anything.
There was no suggestion that any of the management team have to defer to Scally. Quite the opposite.

In fact there were frequent, but diplomatic hints at change.
"Things are different than before."

If I was to speculate, Scally has been asked to limit his involvement to the aspect of player recruitment that is his contacts at other clubs.