The Official Leicester City Match Thread (Sponsored by Mamady Sidibe "for all your winning goal at Priestfield against Leicester needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Leicester City Match Thread (Sponsored by Mamady Sidibe "for all your winning goal at Priestfield against Leicester needs")

Reading fans comment on here over the past few months, the word passion had been mentioned a good few times. well the lack of it anyway.
I thought watching the match on tv today it was there in abundance, Leicester did not control the game and I thought a draw was on the cards. would have beena fair result.
Carry that passion forward into the league and it will go some way in improving your teams position, a few goals would not go amiss either but that is another story.

Just back, long old day but absolutely worth the trip.

Left at 9am, scooted down the M11 with no fuss except the smalls reminding me every ten minutes that we still needed to stop for tinfoil to cover their homemade cardboard FA cup...tinfoil was duly purchased by the ASDA towards the river before dumping the car on Court Lodge Road by 11.15am.

Circumnavigated Priestfield to give Jnr Jnr the first glimpse of her new cathedral, dodged several piles of dogshit and Jnr Jnr correctly pointed out that Gillingham "looks just like Sheerness", a town she is more familiar with.

Got in the ground, smashed a quick pint while the kiddos stuffed their faces with Haribo, everyone happy and nice to see the concourses so busy. To our seats to discover a good number of the Block 4 singers had relocated directly behind us due to their seats being a camera gantry for the day. Fair play to them, they were loud and in good spirits, no C bombs either which made a pleasant change from away days this season.

Good to see the Galinson's on the pitch, PDPS notable by his absence. I think they enjoyed having a wander as much as we enjoyed having a gander at our new owners, it was all quite nice.

As Rob mentioned above, the game was weirdly similar to our league games, played some nice stuff, looking vaguely competitive but offering very little going forward. The passing today was a huge improvement over recent games I've watched. Leicester were bang average and looked decidedly uninterested. Vardy took some significant stick throughout the first half, but responded well when subbed in the second half by bowing to the Rainham End.

The crossbar challenge at half-time was a typical Gills shambles, if you're going to ask people to try and hit the bar with a ball, probably helps to actually have a ball? At the fifth time of asking one was eventually sourced from our subs who were warming up nearby. Nice to see us try and do something at half-time, I always enjoyed the kids team penalty shootouts be a positive to see something similar return.

Second half was more open, they had a few chances, but miraculously so did we, the one just before their goal being the best. I thought Adelakun's effort was inches wide, but having watched the replay when I got in, it was a yard or two. Their goal was typical of our season, messy pinball in the box before Iheanacho smashed it home.

I was impressed by Harris attacking subs, but only because I'd miscalculated how long was left, ten or fifteen minutes earlier and it might have been a bit more of a siege. Kashket's offside at the end seemed tight and enraged our bit of the Rainham End, enjoyed seeing him still stick it in the net though. My first "goal" at Priestfield this season...

Overall I thought we were decent, probably the best I've seen us this season but still no goals and no win, not that I was expecting one today. Looking forward to the deluge of signings next week. Please.

Tipped it down several times on the way home, kids fast asleep having told me that they really enjoyed the experience (in kid terms, obviously). Jnr is now 12 games and no win, Jnr Jnr, two games and two defeats, albeit both against Premier League opposition. I hope for their sake and all our sanity that things improve soon!

As Rob mentioned above, the game was weirdly similar to our league games, played some nice stuff, looking vaguely competitive but offering very little going forward.

A perfect summary.

I didn't expect us to score, or even look like it, but was pleasantly surprised that everyone lifted their game enough to make it good to watch.

Special mentions to the much maligned Williams and Ehmer.

The important stuff starts next Saturday.

COYG

No offence but I expect ST would say it was a blatant foul
🙂

Did ok today.

Not a foul for me, but a lucky goal, the sort of ricochet in the box that never goes for us (at least this season anyway) - we had several occasions today where the ball was ping ponging about the box in our attacks, but always fell kindly for them and the one occasion it happened in our box, it sits on a plate for their striker (won't even try to spell his name). Matt Boosey was sitting behind me and I could hear him doing his GITB piece and was adamant it was a foul for their goal. I thought the ref was OK, but cannot understand how he didn't book any Leicester players - they repeatedly professionally fouled our players after they scored; it seemed every break we had they hacked someone down - Macdonald and Jefferies especially on at least four occasions. The ref also blew up bang on the 5 minutes injury time, despite lots of Leicester time wasting during the 5 minutes and him pointing to his watch on several occasions when they were doing it to say that I'm going to add this on, yet he didn't.

Sorry I have not read this thread yet but have a question. What was being chanted at Jamie Vardy ?
He clearly enjoyed the banter of it.

Just as an aside is our capacity now limited to around 8,500?

It was today, due to quite a bit of space being taken out by about half a dozen cameras and a big camera gantry occupying a whole block in the GRS and two blocks next to it being having their views blocked by it, so also being empty. I also don't know why they allocated Leicester fans tickets in the GRS as this meant another block being taken out for segregation, so of 7-8 blocks in the GRS only four were used. Would have been better just allocating Leicester the 1500 or so ticks in the lower half of the BMS (which is the 15% requirement and you could have got more Gills fans in the GRS without the need for segregation.

With no cameras, the capacity would be higher than 8500. Looks like the upper BMS is out of action (must be a safety issue - strange that the club have been silent on that). I would make the capacity almost bang on 10,000 without seats lost for cameras, but the BMS upper out. Hopefully if we have another live TV match soon, we can be a bit smarter about with out ticketing.

"Jamie Vardy, your wife is a grass" and "Roooooney"

I liked his reaction. He was enjoying it, we were enjoying it. Fair play to him.
Good for him treating it in the humour that the vast majority would have meant it .Not sure his misses will see it .But that's a matter for behind closed doors I wish Jamie luck tonight I wonder if he has a spare room? lol

Great performance today. The third such performance v a Prem team this season and it was just a bit of bad luck which prevented us getting a deserved and fanous draw. As I said above, whilst a nicely taken goal, the ricochet before it was the sort of luck and bounce we don't get and didn't today. Harris set us up well and as you'd expect v a Prem team (although TBH he does it in most matches anyway), but he got the balance between defence and attack right. We were happy to let Leicester pass the ball about in front of our XI men and made them try to either do something skilful or clever to break our defence or just hump it and we could deal with the latter and they weren't good enough largely to do the former. However, at the right times we attacked and I thought that Leicester's defence looked a shamble from crosses, corners and long throws and several times we seemed to have them in trouble in the box, but it just didn't break or sit up for us like it did for them for the goal.

Adelakun got the sponsors man of the match and I believe Williams the BBC man of the match, and both were great and an improvement on recent performances, but I thought it was a choice between the excellent Macdonald and Jefferies, who were outstanding, but as were Turner and all of the back 5, although Tutonda had a few mad moments, despite looking good going forward. Kashket was tireless too and Mandron must have won more headers in the 10 minutes he was on today than he has all season!

In one sense proud of the lads today, but in another, annoyed at them, as, as a lot of us have said, we have he players (and manager) to be a lot higher in the division than we are (and they proved it today) and they are cheating themselves to be in the position that they are. Also, a word for Harris. As well as getting the tactics right, he showed a lot more passion on the bench today. He was loud, passionate and on the case of both his players and the ref. Want to see a lot more of that from him. Get those 4-6 players that we need (especially a couple of strikers/goalscorers) and the rest of them play like they did today and we'll start moving up that table pretty fast.

Oh and be nice if the train drivers could go back to work - felt like a bloody away game today will collecting and returning the boy to/from London

Sure they will if they get paid a fair wage.

Support our workers who keep the system from grinding to a halt all the time they're not on strike for a fair wage. Not so long ago they were deserving out applause. Remember??

Media coverage of the strikes is shameful. Don't buy their lies.

Sure they will if they get paid a fair wage.

Support our workers who keep the system from grinding to a halt all the time they're not on strike for a fair wage. Not so long ago they were deserving out applause. Remember??

Media coverage of the strikes is shameful. Don't buy their lies.
Train drivers get a fair wage - much fairer than most in this country - plus lots of perks most of us could only dream of.

Remember? No, literally nobody was clapping rail drivers during Covid.

Train drivers get a fair wage - much fairer than most in this country - plus lots of perks most of us could only dream of.

Remember? No, literally nobody was clapping rail drivers during Covid.
The RMT who represent those who are not drivers (ie the vast majority of rail workers) have staff who are paid poorly and have had no pay rise for 3 years. Their biggest problem is not so much a pathetic pay offer way below inflation as the slashing of their rights and conditions which the public are largely ignorant of. Add the plan to get rid of EVERY ticket office in the country. When the old wrinklies I mix with hear that, they suddenly change their views about the workers accepting all the changes (having had their inflation proof pension rise). Lol.

The RMT who represent those who are not drivers (ie the vast majority of rail workers) have staff who are paid poorly and have had no pay rise for 3 years. Their biggest problem is not so much a pathetic pay offer way below inflation as the slashing of their rights and conditions which the public are largely ignorant of. Add the plan to get rid of EVERY ticket office in the country. When the old wrinklies I mix with hear that, they suddenly change their views about the workers accepting all the changes (having had their inflation proof pension rise). Lol.

Mark was specifically referencing train drivers and Buddha responding to that saying that they should be paid fairly and then some nonsense claiming that the applause for the NHS during Covid was for train drivers.

Needless to say that I don’t agree with you on the motives of the RMT or other rail staff either, although that wasn’t referenced here. They are not paid poorly compared to the average wage - certainly for what they do - and their “rights” aka ridiculous perks have needed slashing for a long time. I was in the Netherlands in the summer and used their train service. Wasn’t the quickest train, but the service was very regular and peunctual and worked perfectly - no ticket office, just a machine and driver only operated trains. Worked perfectly - just shows that there is something to be said for allowing technology to advance and running public transport for the benefit of the customer rather than running a train service to keep people in cushy jobs that aren’t needed to run the service. Everyone else in the country seems to have to embrace technological advances apart from the railways and their unions.

Mark was specifically referencing train drivers and Buddha responding to that saying that they should be paid fairly and then some nonsense claiming that the applause for the NHS during Covid was for train drivers.

Needless to say that I don’t agree with you on the motives of the RMT or other rail staff either, although that wasn’t referenced here. They are not paid poorly compared to the average wage - certainly for what they do - and their “rights” aka ridiculous perks have needed slashing for a long time. I was in the Netherlands in the summer and used their train service. Wasn’t the quickest train, but the service was very regular and peunctual and worked perfectly - no ticket office, just a machine and driver only operated trains. Worked perfectly - just shows that there is something to be said for allowing technology to advance and running public transport for the benefit of the customer rather than running a train service to keep people in cushy jobs that aren’t needed to run the service. Everyone else in the country seems to have to embrace technological advances apart from the railways and their unions.
My colleagues Dad did a big project with Network rail 6/7 years ago about how we could modernise and improve the system by installing fiber signalling.

It got shut down cause the unions said they'd go on strike if they went forward with it. They have no interest in the service/product their members are meant to be providing.