The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 46 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

There's still time to make the playoffs - things can change quickly in this league. A couple more of the right signings would help.
Exactly right, I think the closest we have been is three points When we were playing well And we are only seven off now after a mediocre at best run. Needs to turn around quickly though

We need to start being a team that reflects its wage bill. In the Premier league the wage bill reflects the table more or less, we need to stop fecking about and win easy, not have every match feeling like a play off second leg. A run of wins is achievable and with 8 games to go being a couple of points off the play offs would be OK but if we are in the top 6 we have a great chance but I can't see where it will come from which is pathetic with what we have available, so hope I'm wrong.

I know January isn't the ideal time to get players in but it's where we are at, so our new CEO or whatever needs to pull his finger out, there has been no difference at all from previous windows, still dragging our heels, this club pisses me off, can't do or get anything right can we.

I know January isn't the ideal time to get players in but it's where we are at, so our new CEO or whatever needs to pull his finger out, there has been no difference at all from previous windows, still dragging our heels, this club pisses me off, can't do or get anything right can we.
Bit harsh that SSV. We got a goalkeeper (most desperate need) before the window even opened and a left footed centre back within a week. It's extremely common that most January deals are done in the final few days/hours of the window, due to a multitude of factors, including agents shopping for the best deals, selling clubs holding out for the best deal and/or holding on to ensure they don't need a player due to injuries during January. Contracts are very complex - involving agents, clubs, lawyers etc etc.
I'd rather have the club be careful to get the right players in. The better players are not leaving their current club early in the window unless they are either (a) Not very good, (b) Have an attitude issue, (c) Are surplus due to an overload in a specific position (in which case the selling manager will want to be certain he has adequate cover) or (d) the buying club makes a silly-money offer.
Look back at many/most of our past few transfer windows and we have brought in players in all four of the above categories; and with a few notable exceptions they have turned out to be crap in one way or another.

Look back at many/most of our past few transfer windows and we have brought in players in all four of the above categories; and with a few notable exceptions they have turned out to be crap in one way or another.

And then we can't get rid of them. Keep loaning them out until their contracts are up. Not a penny back in return.

Bit harsh that SSV. We got a goalkeeper (most desperate need) before the window even opened and a left footed centre back within a week. It's extremely common that most January deals are done in the final few days/hours of the window, due to a multitude of factors, including agents shopping for the best deals, selling clubs holding out for the best deal and/or holding on to ensure they don't need a player due to injuries during January. Contracts are very complex - involving agents, clubs, lawyers etc etc.
I'd rather have the club be careful to get the right players in. The better players are not leaving their current club early in the window unless they are either (a) Not very good, (b) Have an attitude issue, (c) Are surplus due to an overload in a specific position (in which case the selling manager will want to be certain he has adequate cover) or (d) the buying club makes a silly-money offer.

Maybe a little harsh, but I really don't think the likes of this Hause lad was a right move, smacks of a Paul Lambert type of signing, keeper was a good buy but we are still drastically depleted in defense and I just can't see us been able to bring in a much needed CB, LB, RB and CM/CAM at the speed we are going.

Last edited:
And then we can't get rid of them. Keep loaning them out until their contracts are up. Not a penny back in return.

I long for the days of these to be long and gone, for too long our club has had mug across its forehead, looking at Richards, not only was he crap he then also dictated his playing position to his manager(s), the bloody cheek of him, we bought a RB to play RB but he wanted to play at CB even though we had CB's and were in need of a RB.

The thing is Richards came here because Sherwood guarenteed him a place at centre back. Sunderland were offering him more money I believe. Moronic decision by Tim, as was signing the other half of that brilliant partnership.

The thing is Richards came here because Sherwood guarenteed him a place at centre back. Sunderland were offering him more money I believe. Moronic decision by Tim, as was signing the other half of that brilliant partnership.

Guess common sense bypassed Dim Tim along with the tactics, can you imagine the damage he would of done had he not been given the boot, I shudder thinking about it.

Sherwood has to be the worst villa manager of all time .

Perhaps of recent times. He had a good impact initially but it was basically just a new manager bounce combined with a few other factors like Benteke coming into full fitness, Cleverly trying to earn himself a transfer in the summer and Jack bursting onto the scene. I will say that however bad it got I'll always feel some thanks towards him for the 2 wins vs Baggies in a week and Wembley vs Liverpool.

Seen a couple of stories today linking us with a move for Charlie Austin. I'm sure he would still score goals at this level but I cant see an injury prone 29 year old being top of Deanos shopping list. Especially when its the backline we need to be strengthening

Seen a couple of stories today linking us with a move for Charlie Austin. I'm sure he would still score goals at this level but I cant see an injury prone 29 year old being top of Deanos shopping list. Especially when its the backline we need to be strengthening

Doesn't really fit the young and hungry criteria does he? Good fit for Wednesday.

I've always been a fan of Charlie Austin but but the blokes not been able to have a full season in how many years? If fit he's almost certainly a 20+ goal striker in this league but unfortunately I can't see that happening.

Wouldn't mind Lolley from Forest. Not only a Villa fan but has the abilty to drive us forward - had a blinder against us and by all accounts has been top drawer for them all season. Only draw back is money unless we can offload some dead weights. I can see us making a bid for him in summer when certain players will be and need to be shown the door.

Wouldn't mind Lolley from Forest. Not only a Villa fan but has the abilty to drive us forward - had a blinder against us and by all accounts has been top drawer for them all season. Only draw back is money unless we can offload some dead weights. I can see us making a bid for him in summer when certain players will be and need to be shown the door.
I can see why you would pick out Joe Lolley, but will his game transfer to th PL which is where we want to be. Excellent at this level I agree, but we must prepare and recruit for the PL.

We are no where the premier league. We can worry about the premier league if or when we cross that bridge
We need a core of players that can make it at that level similar to Wolves, otherwise we will be Fulham - overspending and underachieving