The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread. | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread.

A goal every four games? Not terrible really - double figures in only one season yeah fairly poor but at the same time not terrible for a player who typically played in poor teams.

All I think SJH is saying is that Long inspite of his poor return was a pain in the hole for defenders because he had a good engine, was quick and never gave up and chased any lost cause that came his way. Brighton have both Connolly and Maupay doing that and honestly they had us ran ragged until your man was sent off.

Sorry to butt in.

I can describe him.

Stealing a living.

92 goals in 417 league appearances.

12 seasons in the premier league and hit double figures only once (10 goals in 2015/16).

Sorry. When was this prime apart from scoring a few times against us when we were absolutely toilet.

We were talking about Bowen mate

But to answer your question, all I meant by prime was a few years ago when he was a regular starter for club and country. Every player hits some kind of peak.

Hold on, I've come back.

When are Bowen and Maupay similar players?

Answers on a postcard to our politic thread and that's where I'm going.

No mate, predominately a winger, but morphed into a more No 10 role as he liked to cut inside. Scoring stats are fantastic, as are assists (or assists before the assists). I'd love him here don't get me wrong.

But he's not a striker with a presence.....he's a different type of Jack dude.

It'd be like saying Fatty Frank Lampard is a centre forward given his eye for a goal.

Neither have 200 appearances professionally that I know of though - I think I've confused myself with someone else here?

Right, I see, I thought he was more of general forward, or second striker type. But I think I've only seen him play twice to be honest.

I wouldn't really describe Maupay as a striker with a presence either though, unless you count a nasty one. Not in the traditional sense at least.

He's developed into a second striker type (No 10ish), but only recently - last season I think was the switch dude. Although he trialled, so to speak, the year before. I've kept my eye on him as he impressed.

When we thought Jack was going and people banged on about Lolley, I was desperate for Bowen.

Maupay is a thug, limited talent but knows where a goal is and throws himself around in the way Poppins did with elbows. Dirty bastard but effective and definitely a step up on what we have.

However, there's a reason I don't want some players at my club.

Maybe Dean Saunders or Tony Brown (all our yesterday's). Will of the wisp types, mobile and work well off a Peter Withe type of centre forward. Maupay is an old fashioned,pain in the arse bruiser. Gone now but might have been an effective pairing.

I think we need to be aiming a bit higher than the likes of Jarrod Bowen if we are serious about being in the Premier League. I would have thought/hoped the days of shopping at mid-table Championship sides are behind us.

I'd take the best out of the championship (esp if young and presumably still improving) over random Turkish and Belgium league finds all day long tbh.
Of course If we want to challenge then we'll need to be into £50 mill+ squad players but we'll have to see I guess when the window 'slams' open etc.

We need Bowen because Trez and El Ghazi need more competition and we also need a striker. Haven't seen much of Bowen but he's very highly rated and his stats are premier league worthy.

In terms of a striker, we need someone with a prolific record like Ben Yedder or Bale if possible.

Wanted Maupay,now believe that Bowen would be a good signing. Don't see enough with what we have but Bowen clearly has an eye for goal,won't cost a packet and is a bundle of energy.

Hourihane has an eye for goal and amazing stats in the championship but he really isn't very good, I'm not sure Bowen would be any better in the real world

Hourihane has an eye for goal and amazing stats in the championship but he really isn't very good, I'm not sure Bowen would be any better in the real world
Thank heavens we didn't sign Gray, Leonard, Graydon,Spinksy, Hateley, Hitchens, Yorkie, Aitken, Marvelous,Wes,Bremner and many others. No premier League quality, thank goodness we didn't sign any of them.