The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread. | Page 149 | Vital Football

The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread.

I still see Slimani on loan as the most likely addition to Samatta. If they can get Vida and N'Zonzi over the line too then along with Reina that would transform the spine of our team, which is much needed as recent performances they've looked pretty spineless.

Kind of agree about N'Zonzi but I very much doubt there's a snowballs chance of Slimani.
Been talking to a mate in Holland, a PSV supporter, about this Gaston Pereiro some have linked us too.
Apparently he can play off either wing, or as an AM, or Second Striker.
My mate, who has watched a fair bit of Villa, especially last season, reckons Pereiro is almost like a combination of Hourihane and McGinn.
When he said that I nearly wet myself with excitement but, he then went on to explain his thinking.
Pereiro's left foot, football speak coming up here, is more educated than Hourihane's and he gets far more involved than Hourihane in a game. Which is the really good part.
The McGinn bit is good and not so good.
Apparently Pereiro is difficult to knock off the ball because he uses his body like McGinn does, he also sees and can deliver a pass under pressure.
Now the not so good bit, he doesn't put himself about, physically, like McGinn does, he appears to be more laid back in his approach, more languid, (nice word that), at least that's the perception my mate is left with.
Last season Pereiro scored 10 and assisted 6, mostly off the wing.
This season he's only been involved in 4 games so far but, has scored 2.
He is out of contract in the summer and there's been some disagreement about a new contract apparently, that's why my mate reckons a bid of around the 10 million euro mark would get him.

Off topic, but just out of intrigue, does anyone have any ITK info etc on Kalanic?

Just seems to strange that he was/is Croatias no.1 goalkeeper, and has never had a sniff for us. Not even on the bench? Surely he can't be any worse than Nyland and Skarjic?

Assume it's maybe something within his contract they're trying to avoid?

He does have a nasty case of the dropsies, even in internationals.

We chose not to renew the contracts of those players and also chose to not go back into the loan market or find cheaper options. Always thought that reason was a bit of a smokescreen to deflect if things did go wrong. And regardless of the reasons why we spent that much if we went down after spending £120-130m+ it’s poor management somewhere down the line

I would agree up to a point.
That point being the non purchasing of a centreforward.
Wesley scored most of his goals in Belgium coming in from off the wing, predominately the left wing.

our biggest problem seems to be mistakes far too many costly mistakes and like big sam said on talk shite the other day about teams trying to play out from the back will concede more goals doing so than they will score .and lets face it we seem quicker playing the ball back to our own goals than we do getting in the other end and the passing is piss poor .the manager needs to be able to change tact during a match if things are not working iv seen top managers make a sub 15 mins into a match because things wasnt working but smith failed to do that .like man city at 3 nill down he left it how it was witch seems poor managment to me

Reckon a big problem is that we're reluctant to close down the opposition when it attacks. That allows the opposition to build up numbers and close us down if we get the ball back. Playing out from the back is all very well but you have to have players who have moved into spaces where they can safely receive the ball; we end up ping ponging it around in front of goal and when we lose it we're in trouble.

Losing McGinn has made us weak in that area. Maybe Danny will add something we need, maybe we need somebody else as well.

The rumour is Samatta is about to be announced very shortly? I hope this means the work permit is sorted and he is available for Tuesday night.

Great if true. Get him in Tuesday night. Bug game under the lights with a full house at the best stadium in football. Who could fail to be inspired.

I would assume the delays in getting work permits previously for Luiz and Wesley were as they had to go appeals due to no international caps etc.

If he qualifies for one straight off I would think it would be reasonably quick. Here’s hoping anyway.

I would assume the delays in getting work permits previously for Luiz and Wesley were as they had to go appeals due to no international caps etc.

If he qualifies for one straight off I would think it would be reasonably quick. Here’s hoping anyway.
56 caps for Tanzania - shouldn't be a problem for the work permit.

56 caps for Tanzania - shouldn't be a problem for the work permit.
But Tanzania are a very low ranked nation so not sure if it counts the same. I don’t think it will be a problem in the end but I don’t know if it will be an automatic ‘yes’ or if it will have to go down the same route as Wesley and Luiz

But Tanzania are a very low ranked nation so not sure if it counts the same. I don’t think it will be a problem in the end but I don’t know if it will be an automatic ‘yes’ or if it will have to go down the same route as Wesley and Luiz

Ex British colony as well until 1961, he speaks English and there are thousands of them working here. Good enough for me

Worth a watch - gives an idea of how clubs are looking at options and the difficulty. Probably my own bias but some of it makes me see how we decided on some players.