The Official Hull City Match Thread (sponsored by Tom Eeeeaaaaves "for all your hattri....what? Nobby says it never happened again? needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Hull City Match Thread (sponsored by Tom Eeeeaaaaves "for all your hattri....what? Nobby says it never happened again? needs")

A Hull ST holding friend has offered his characteristically fair and dispassionate assessment:

" We missed a fair few chances but they (Gills) stuck to it and got the classic away point. They are very spirited like their manager."

From him that's lyrical praise.

Anyone else read the BBC report on our game - what a load of old bollocks.

For all those who believe in "dispassionate" reporting by the press on any other subjects, well just read this and carry on believing about an impartial press. You have just witnessed the game, does this report your interpretation (how many fouls in the penalty area were then on Oliver that went unpunished) ?

Well done Buddha :thumbup:

Beg to differ mate. Hackerschoor and Paulaner on draft.

Love the range of ales at the man of kent and the barman does a cracking range of gin and tonics.

Looking forward to getting back down there. I hope it opens post lockdown, not sure every pub will

I'm a Stella guy!
Sorry for the alcohol talk on this thread!

Great point for The Gills 😊

Last edited:

For all those who believe in "dispassionate" reporting by the press on any other subjects, well just read this and carry on believing about an impartial press. You have just witnessed the game, does this report your interpretation (how many fouls in the penalty area were then on Oliver that went unpunished) ?

Just read that. "Robust opponents. Relentless aggression". According to the stats we committed 5 more fouls and got two more bookings and I'm pretty sure O'Keefe's was for dissent and O'Connor's was for a non existent foul. Whatever a good point and despite them having some good chances Bonham wasn't that busy against top of the league and on another day we could have won it.

Absolutely,

They never list the fouls on Gills and they list every single "foul" on Hull players without noting that most of them involved kicking themselves, tripping over their boot laces, and and just plain falling over. The most you see is a small print retraction days later on page seven. And then...ok we scored a goal, fair enough, but who started the scoring? They don't note that. And what are we supposed to do when they start scoring goals? You have to look long and hard before you find out what actually happened. No wonder we set fire to their changing rooms...did we?

Absolutely,

They never list the fouls on Gills and they list every single "foul" on Hull players without noting that most of them involved kicking themselves, tripping over their boot laces, and and just plain falling over. The most you see is a small print retraction days later on page seven. And then...ok we scored a goal, fair enough, but who started the scoring? They don't note that. And what are we supposed to do when they start scoring goals? You have to look long and hard before you find out what actually happened. No wonder we set fire to their changing rooms...did we?
That's excellent Jokerman 😄

Absolutely,

The thing I enjoy the most is that the commentators/pundits of all the league "giants" repeatedly say how they "know how Gillingham are going to play" that "they always seem to have a plan to counteract our hoofball" and finally, that old addage "there is no way we should ever lose to this team".......AND YET: they all seem to be surprised, ending up looking like the proverbial rabbit, when we play our pressing game. their plans to counteract out style of play only seems to work some of the time and we have whupped or at least drawn with most of these footballing giants.

Get over yourselves and it..... you're playing in the same division as us, have a far bigger budget, can afford players with relatively high wages (compared to ours, the team with the lowest budget in League 1. We may never get promoted again into the championship, but at least we are no "billy big bollux" like most of the rest up near the top of the division.

We are Gillingham, we are p-i-k-e-y-s, we have no false pretentions, we like nothing more than knocking over the big boys and.... we are real supporters, through thick and thin.... not just good weather/high league position anoraks....

FRAKEM, FRAKEM ALL.... and "in the words of the immortal Rab C. Nesbitt" I'll tell you this boy, I can't wait to laugh myself to sleep when we batter our next big brother teams asses from the field"

Last edited:
Take that point all day long. And nearly snuck it at the end.

Good that some teams around us dropped easier points today. Ours was a bonus. TBF 6th is looking well beyond us imho, barring us winning 6 or 7 of our last 8. But it’s good to be in the conversation this late in the season.

Well done Steve and the lads 👍

Oh, and it’s great having Dom Samuel back for the run in. Gives us plenty of options up top.

Didn't England try the Up and At'em style of play under Graham Taylor? Not sure that experiment turned out too great.

If there had been fans in the stadium, I wouldn't have been surprised if England's safe but slow chess like possession football prompted calls of "It's just like watching MK Dons".

As SE said after beating MKD, I am not sure I could watch that every week.

If there had been fans in the stadium, I wouldn't have been surprised if England's safe but slow chess like possession football prompted calls of "It's just like watching MK Dons".

I agree. None of us like any loss. But can you imagine seeing your team dominate, have 70% possession but keep passing it around the back 4 and midfield only to create ZERO chances. And then succumb to a 2-0 defeat?

Soul destroying.

And that manager says “we dominated but just lacked that killer final ball”.

No mate, you lacked urgency for 68 of the 70% possession you had. Get it in there!!

Could be worse. I also sat through the U21s game. Now that was something to complain about. I don't think they had a decent chance or even a shot on target against a decent but hardly world-beating Portugal side who easily won 2-0, but could have easily got 4. And that was off of the back of a 1-0 defeat against an average Swiss side, where we equally created nothing. A tad worrying where the next generation is coming from as our U21s have been very good for years. I guess it could be that half of our U21s are playing for the seniors and other senior teams have older more experienced players so their U21s are stronger?