The Official Hull City Match Thread (sponsored by Tom Eeeeaaaaves "for all your hattri....what? Nobby says it never happened again? needs") | Vital Football

The Official Hull City Match Thread (sponsored by Tom Eeeeaaaaves "for all your hattri....what? Nobby says it never happened again? needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Thought I'd show a bit of effort and get the thread started more than a couple of hours before kick off (another 3.00pm start, hurrah!) so here we go, away to top of the table 'Ull City.

The reverse fixture was the opening game of the season, way back in September when pubs were still a thing even if attending the football wasn't. I was allowed to actually watch proceedings on iFollow at that time, my Jonah-like tendencies having not yet manifested themselves, resulting in my "commentary only" exile which has continued since before Christmas.

My pre-season optimism bubble lasted precisely two and bit minutes before Lewis-Potter gave The Tigers the lead and though we gamely battled away we only managed a single shot on target in the whole game, Josh Magennis doubling the away side's lead with seven minutes to play and that was that. 0-2.

Hull look well-placed to be heading back to The Championship at the first time of asking, Wilks, Magennis and Lewis-Potter all having contributed greatly to the club's impressive goal difference and resulting in 21 wins from their 37 games.

One Hull player we all know and love is their powerhouse frontman, Tom Eaves. Injuries have sadly disrupted his season and the goals haven't flowed to anywhere near the extent they did with us. Having been a near ever present in the league last season, Tom has been restricted to a handful of late substitute appearances in 2021 and hasn't found the back of the net since bagging an 87th minute winner against local rivals Doncaster back on the 2nd December. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name amongst the substitutes tomorrow.

Enough of Hull though, Gills go into this game under little pressure despite only being two points off the play-offs. As Steve Evans rightly pointed out this week, there can't be anyone outside of the Gills' camp who can see anything other than a Hull win resulting from tomorrow's fixture. If the same Gills side turns up that has put in niggly, combative performances against the likes of Sunderland and Ipswich in recent times then I wouldn't rule out some sort of positive result for us tomorrow to put a dent in the opposition promotion push and keep our faint play-off hopes going for another week.

Bacon (unsmoked, thick-sliced) is at the ready for tomorrow morning's pre-match ritual, with beer in the fridge and a swift prayer that the Radio Humberside commentary team aren't too obnoxious. I remain cautiously optimistic about the game, which is usually the sign of a crushing defeat. I'll shoulder the blame if it transpires.

COYG!

Can I just make a quick mention of “to Hull and back”, one of my favourite episodes of only fools, when Denzil drives to Hull with Del in his trailer thus giving the Trotters the idea to smuggle diamonds back this way from Holland. Classic!

Can I just make a quick mention of “to Hull and back”, one of my favourite episodes of only fools, when Denzil drives to Hull with Del in his trailer thus giving the Trotters the idea to smuggle diamonds back this way from Holland. Classic!

That's one of my favourite episodes too, Rob.

Been watching some early episodes recently and at times they are now beginning to seem a little dated because of the casual racism, sexism and homophobia. Nevertheles, they were a product of their time and some of the writing and acting is superb.

Watched the one where they're in the nuclear bunker last week. There was a bit where the comedy became almost serious drama with Grandad offering a sombre reflection that, "they told us we'd have homes fit for heroes but all we had were heroes fit for homes". Worth remembering that post WWII many thousands of servicemen and their families had no option but to squat buildings and squat land.

With regard to today's game, COYG!!!

That's one of my favourite episodes too, Rob.

Been watching some early episodes recently and at times they are now beginning to seem a little dated because of the casual racism, sexism and homophobia. Nevertheles, they were a product of their time and some of the writing and acting is superb.

Watched the one where they're in the nuclear bunker last week. There was a bit where the comedy became almost serious drama with Grandad offering a sombre reflection that, "they told us we'd have homes fit for heroes but all we had were heroes fit for homes". Worth remembering that post WWII many thousands of servicemen and their families had no option but to squat buildings and squat land.

With regard to today's game, COYG!!!
Worth remembering that the Germans flattened a lot of our cities causing a serious housing shortage, but don't let facts get in the way of your OTT bias. We lived in a prefab after the war.

Worth remembering that the Germans flattened a lot of our cities causing a serious housing shortage, but don't let facts get in the way of your OTT bias. We lived in a prefab after the war.

Worth remembering how Germany very quickly moved from a democracy into a fascist dictatorship...

Of course there were housing shortages (and there still are). The answer was to squat. This right has already been partially removed from the people, now the government want to complete the job.

Postwar squatters:
https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/postwar-squatters-a-very-british-uprising/

Anyway, if you want to continue this discussion, let's have a new thread. Apologies everyone, I perhaps shouldn't have commented about Only Fools and Horses.

Worth remembering how Germany very quickly moved from a democracy into a fascist dictatorship...

Of course there were housing shortages. The answer was to squat. This right has already been partially removed from the people, now the government want to complete the job.

Postwar squatters:
https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/postwar-squatters-a-very-british-uprising/
FFS
Let it go ! Take your obsessive politics to another thread.
This is a match thread.

I have decided to go proper Kent native and will be supping Spitfire Ale for this one.

Hull fans seem to think a comfortable 2-0 .

If we get in to them, I think we can pull off a surprise.

FFS
Let it go ! Take your obsessive politics to another thread.
This is a match thread.

I have decided to go proper Kent native and will be supping Spitfire Ale for this one.

Hull fans seem to think a comfortable 2-0 .

If we get in to them, I think we can pull off a surprise.

No, I wont let it go, shotty. However, I did apologise and suggest a new thread. I don't want to talk politics on the match thread either.

For today’s match I will be drinking Jaipur by Thornbridge. A classic and was cheaper than other 4-packs of craft beer in Sainsbury’s.
A bloke at work has a phone app that lists (apparently) every beer you can buy in this country (along with pubs and bars etc) so you can work your way through the app, marking off every beer you've tried and even leave reviews. He reckons he's tried over a thousand different beers in the three years he's had the app.
When he was telling me this yesterday, I remember thinking "I know a message board where this news will be greeted well".

You're welcome 😊

A bloke at work has a phone app that lists (apparently) every beer you can buy in this country (along with pubs and bars etc) so you can work your way through the app, marking off every beer you've tried and even leave reviews. He reckons he's tried over a thousand different beers in the three years he's had the app.
When he was telling me this yesterday, I remember thinking "I know a message board where this news will be greeted well".

You're welcome 😊

I have a lot of catching up to do! I'm really boring, and over the past three years, I've drunk Stella, Guinness, and about five different ciders. He's way ahead of me, but I'm sure I've had more than a thousand beers over the past three years!

I have a lot of catching up to do! I'm really boring, and over the past three years, I've drunk Stella, Guinness, and about five different ciders. He's way ahead of me, but I'm sure I've had more than a thousand beers over the past three years!
I was exactly the same.
Stella or Guinness for years, then fell back in love with beer.
It happened since we moved down here.
We was cycling the Tarka Trail and saw a sign for a local brewery just off the trail.
Stopped for a couple and loved it.
It’s currently closed due to covid but we live much nearer now so it’s walkable
Yelland Manor Brewery, I think it’s called.
Whatever, I’ll be back when possible.
Hopefully they have made it through lockdown.

Ha, if it’s the one I’m thinking of then I’ve got it! Untappd. It’s good for someone like me who likes drinking something new each time, as well as finding decent pubs and bars wherever you go. You can see what pubs have loads of check-ins in them, particularly what beers they’ve checked in. It helps you find the pubs that sell something different to Fosters and Doom Bar.