The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs")

My position has always been results over performances. For me the only thing that ever matters is winning. Don't get points for style.

The shift in focus you mention by many fans to results is just a reflection of where we are in the season & the desperate need for wins to bring the promotion which was the stated objective of this season.

Personally I would have been more than delighted had we achieved promotion with a series of dour 1-0 wins. Perhaps I'm an exception?
Points and performance are not mutually exclusive. We can have both.

In fact, we can have neither as well. Too often this season, we’ve set up defensively and played four football and still failed to pick up points.

Hi GBN.

I was surprised to read that you thought we only had 6 shots on target…. …but seems you are right.

What you didn’t see was that we had at least 3 shots that hit the woodwork, which aren’t counted as a shot on target.

We did look really dangerous all game. We had loads of attacking intent. We didn’t just aimlessly boot it up to The Hawk.

With someone who can put the ball away, we could easily have had 5-6 goals today. I’ve no idea why we can’t bang a few more in. After 2nd half last week and yesterdays performance, I’m starting to feel that there is a curse against us.
I think it’s psychological as much as anything. A bit of composure from Ogie and Mahoney would have won us the game but mostly our players seem to think there’s only one way to score, and that’s to hit the ball as hard as you can any time you get anywhere close to goal.

Hi GBN.
I was surprised to read that you thought we only had 6 shots on target…. …but seems you are right.
What you didn’t see was that we had at least 3 shots that hit the woodwork, which aren’t counted as a shot on target.
We did look really dangerous all game. We had loads of attacking intent. We didn’t just aimlessly boot it up to The Hawk.
With someone who can put the ball away, we could easily have had 5-6 goals today. I’ve no idea why we can’t bang a few more in. After 2nd half last week and yesterdays performance, I’m starting to feel that there is a curse against us.
Hi, Trashy. It is good to hear that we are having more attacking intent and I gathered that from the audio.

However, the short highlights that are on the Gills own YouTube channel show Grimsby's other big chance in the first half where a player finds himself completely unmarked and more or less on the penalty spot but Morris pulls off a good save, whereas Ogie's surge from the half way line, ending in a blast against the bar, seems to be the only effort against the woodwork that is worth showing. The other main effort is the one cleared from underneath the bar in the first half:

I don't whether it is Bloc that posts the highlights but certainly made it look fairly even. I can see it looks more exciting than of late, though.

I think it’s psychological as much as anything. A bit of composure from Ogie and Mahoney would have won us the game but mostly our players seem to think there’s only one way to score, and that’s to hit the ball as hard as you can any time you get anywhere close to goal.
By product of not scoring. When goals are consistently flowing, the finish is instinctive. To be fair to Ogie his day job is at the other end. Love his lung bursting surges. Yesterday the angle was tight & not sure he could have done better.

Very true. But the bottom line it's the final result that's important rather than how you get there.

But you won't be successful if you can't score goals, as we're about to prove. Even NH after our first four games said as much.

We've had 59 shots in our last four games. It's clear where our problems lie. If we'd invested in that area, like we have in every other area of the pitch we'd be doing much better.

Bottom line is you need to score goals to win games and be succesful, we don't.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this and I felt SC alluded to some of this in his post match interview today. Our main failing I’m afraid rests with the owners and those responsible for transfers for leaving us in such a sorry state in terms of quality up front. However, today we employed the best system we can and we do have enough quality players (more so than most in the division) to make the playoffs and everyone gave their all. For me, if we do that for the last half or dozen or so games, we should make the playoffs. If we don’t, questions will then need to be asked why we’ve got ourselves in to such a sorry state in terms of attacking options.
The obvious lack of quality up front is solely the responsibility of the recruitment team. Our inability to score goals has been there since Evans departed. Plenty of time to find a solution & yet for all the good signings at the other end of the park the recruitment team has failed to deliver in the vital area. Heard the interview & the dig at the performance of the recruitment team was obvious.

The question really is, is that how radical Clem will be in pursuit of the last playoff place.
Will he continue with his safety first 5 across the back or go shit or bust to win the remaining games?
Personally I would rather go down in flames at least giving it our best shot.
Nothing ventured …

great question, if he does go for it then my thoughts on him for next season will change.

I dont think he will though, same as before but bringing Masterton back into the 5.

If he was adventurous we would have seen attacking subs earlier yesterday and put someone alongside Hawkins earlier than the 85th minute.

Much will depend on how serious Brad was about wanting exciting football, goal and wins. Clemence isn't delivering much of that.

Was actually reasonably entertaining for once. First time this season I've come away thinking we were unlucky.

In normal circumstances, such a result isn't a problem as a Promotion winning team will have such "blips". Unfortunately that doesn't apply to us as we've been so poor (given our squad) most of the time.

A shame Clemence settled for a draw by bringing Nadesan on.

Much will depend on how serious Brad was about wanting exciting football, goal and wins. Clemence isn't delivering much of that.

Do you genuinely believe this squad is capable of delivering exciting football (genuine question).

These players have played the same way under three different coaches/managers with the same faults/criticsms being aimed at them.

I honestly don't think anything would be much different if we'd brought in Lyndsey or A.N.Other as manager/coach.

If BG has a real belief in his (and he said the final decision was his in appointing SC) he needs to back SC, let him have a summer to recruit players SC wants, not players KJ, AH or PS think will be good and then judge him after a period of time. Is giving SC 6 months with a group of players that wern't of his choosing, probably playing a system he doesn't favour giving him a fair crack? IMO not.

If we get rid of SC how long do we given the new man, given he'll have a whole pre season, get to bring in his players. Is 3 months fair, if we're binning off a coach after 6 months who's working with someone elses squad, has had no pre season and may well be playing a system that is not his preferred system.

IMO we're setting a very dangerous precedent if we bin off SC in the summer.

For the record i'm not convinced SC is the answer but he needs to be given more time and the oppourtunity to do it his way before we can fairly judge IMO . There are also no guarantees getting rid of SC will make us any better.

Do you genuinely believe this squad is capable of delivering exciting football (genuine question).

These players have played the same way under three different coaches/managers with the same faults/criticsms being aimed at them.

I honestly don't think anything would be much different if we'd brought in Lyndsey or A.N.Other as manager/coach.

If BG has a real belief in his (and he said the final decision was his in appointing SC) he needs to back SC, let him have a summer to recruit players SC wants, not players KJ, AH or PS think will be good and then judge him after a period of time. Is giving SC 6 months with a group of players that wern't of his choosing, probably playing a system he doesn't favour giving him a fair crack? IMO not.

If we get rid of SC how long do we given the new man, given he'll have a whole pre season, get to bring in his players. Is 3 months fair, if we're binning off a coach after 6 months who's working with someone elses squad, has had no pre season and may well be playing a system that is not his preferred system.

IMO we're setting a very dangerous precedent if we bin off SC in the summer.

For the record i'm not convinced SC is the answer but he needs to be given more time and the oppourtunity to do it his way before we can fairly judge IMO . There are also no guarantees getting rid of SC will make us any better.
On reflection maybe SC deserves until xmas but not KJ and Hess.

They need to explain thier failure to recruit well.

I also think the midfield choices have been questionable.

When i read Hess was not attending the Q&A session that raised the alarm bells for me.

Accountability needs extend to those who fail and that's KJ & Hess.

I see we are playing Morcambe next and as Eric said "I am playing all the right notes - not necessarily in the right order."
From what I observed yesterday Ogie is wasted in his defensive role and needs to be pushed up. When Masterson returns we can play a back four. We need to be trying new formations now we are all but out of the promotion race. It was exciting when Mahoney and Ogie ran through defenders and we need more of that.

great question, if he does go for it then my thoughts on him for next season will change.

I dont think he will though, same as before but bringing Masterton back into the 5.

If he was adventurous we would have seen attacking subs earlier yesterday and put someone alongside Hawkins earlier than the 85th minute.

We don't know who was unwell it was half a dozen I believe.I would not mind guessing that at least one of the subs was not well .It very possible that a number of the starters weren't 100%.

That was easily Lapslie’s best performance for us.

I’ve not been impressed with him. He’s the biggest underperformer but yesterday he took accountability. And, he looked stronger.
I like Lapslie. He's an intelligent and skilful player, good on the ball and he's gets his foot in and wins the ball. I like him and Williams in the same team. We just need to find a way to get the best out of him and I think the freedom to get forward and support Hawkins yesterday did that

I listened on I-follow, then watched the extended highlights, then read all the comments on this thread. Live audio gave a very different impression to the highlights which showed a very entertaining game that we could easily have won with better finishing. The consensus on here seems to be that wr played ok, were entertaining and needed to finish better.

And all that with possibly our best two players so far this season, Masterson and Coleman, not playing.

We shall win easily at Morecambe, Harrogate, Bradford and Mansfield due to my “only go to away games up North” policy, but the game that will clinch our playoff berth will be Barrow as I shall be attending my first home game since before COVID!

I had hopes that Jonny Williams, Lapslie and Mahoney would combine to deliver exciting football.

The key thing we are missing is pace. Our few forward passes are into Hawkins, who does really well to hold up and then lay it back. We are missing a fast striker where we can play balls into channels and play at a high tempo .

We have no real width. Hutton is a massive improvement on what we had.

So, to answer your question if we had pace then maybe this squad could. When we run at league 2 defences e.g. Ogie yesterday, at AFCW or Hurtardo v Swindon then exciting things happen. Problem is we don't do it and we don't have pace.

If we don't recruit that this summer then it will be more of the same next season

It will be interesting to see how we set up for the next game as Masterson will be available again but we saw that the Masterson/Ogie partnership was not working earlier in the season. Hence why Max was recalled and we eventually went to three at the back, with wing backs. Considering we went with a four today and had more attacking intent, it may be a difficult decision.
With the way he’s been breaking down the left, I’d be inclined to play Ogie at LB in a four. After a good run, Clarke is petering out at LB and Malone isn’t the player who started the season

We don't know who was unwell it was half a dozen I believe.I would not mind guessing that at least one of the subs was not well .It very possible that a number of the starters weren't 100%.

9 players according to this. Doesn't name them all, but mentions Morris, Lapslie and Dieng as being among the ones affected

If we don't recruit that this summer then it will be more of the same next season
What’s disturbing me just as much is that there seems to be no intention of addressing the problem by bringing in free agents now which other clubs are doing. When asked about this a few weeks ago, SC said that we would turn to youngsters first. Well, we haven’t done that and it seems like we’re not looking at free agents either. So we’re just accepting that we’ve got nothing up top, doing nothing about it and trying to make the most of what we’ve got. What’s the definition of insanity again?