The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs") | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs")

I think that the recruitment was under the control of Neil Harris before he departed.That.i believe means Kenny and Hess would have had a limited say in who arrived once Neil had used up a fair bit of the budget.
So "you think" the department called the Recruitment department wasn't in control of Recruitment?

So then we also have NH alone to thank for Coleman, Ogie, Masterson, J Williams, etc. Interesting.

Just as likely as Harris begging Recruitment to sign Bonne so at least we started the season with one forward of some previous repute, as things were being left so late and KJ was coming up with Sweet FA other than Nads. By that time we were not being rumoured as being after anyone else.

Could the fact that it became clear that the recruitment had not been good enough and NH had found (later to be confirmed by SC as well) that he could not get the requisite goals out of the upgraded team have created the tensions that led to his dismissal?

Last edited:
Do you genuinely believe this squad is capable of delivering exciting football (genuine question).
I see we are playing Morcambe next and as Eric said "I am playing all the right notes - not necessarily in the right order."
From what I observed yesterday Ogie is wasted in his defensive role and needs to be pushed up. When Masterson returns we can play a back four. We need to be trying new formations now we are all but out of the promotion race. It was exciting when Mahoney and Ogie ran through defenders and we need more of that.
That`s an interesting thought. If neither Jorge nor Josh make it back from injury, we are so bare-boned up front that it might just be a useful exercise to put Shad up front on the Hawks` left. It would enable us to play the pair i`ve always said should be in the same line-up - Williams and Lapslie together, in a 4-4-2. That could generate more opportunities in or around the box - where a lurking Shad`s strength and tenacious play could be productive.

If we`re not going to try the likes of young Jo , who have we got left to help out up front ? Whilst not advocating Shad`s nudge up front as a permanent or even semi-permanent move, we`re so shallow and static at the spearhead I don`t see why, under the circumstances, and being in need of something radical to at least give-it-a go, it should be ruled out as an experimental option !

I think that the recruitment was under the control of Neil Harris before he departed.That.i believe means Kenny and Hess would have had a limited say in who arrived once Neil had used up a fair bit of the budget.
I believe the change of direction has now given Kenny and Hess more control .But there was clearly no additional budget in January the only money spent was made in savings.The January window is not time generally to spend large amounts.I don't think it was wrong to step back a bit from burning our boats financially this season.Given that a large spend could have still resulted in failing.We need a big overhaul of most positions in front of Ethan Coleman.That simply couldn't happen in January.I believe we are probably not ready for promotion with this squad even with summer additions.To many errors happened in the summer.That could be in part down to Kenny and Hess.But I doubt they had the major say .
I believe January was a gamble on a low budget that could have worked but didn't.
Sorry, Chris. But I don`t believe that for one moment.

In public, the senior team - ie KJ, AH & SC will be towing the company line. Whilst there will no doubt be a hierarchy as far as recruitment is concerned, the three mentioned are employees and will be sticking to the politics as outlined by the owners.

My own feeling is that SC has been let down and signings commensurate with our new "direction" were probably alluded to but not delivered. Sacking SC now or in a few months achieves very little and scuttles our best course to eventual more attractive football.

To your points re Harris, if Brad and Shannon were convinced in early 23/24 season that GFC needed to adopt a more positive, attractive, footballing genre, then I doubt very much that Neil Harris was the prime mover of that particular sea change. Indications from BG concerning budget don`t suggest that the Club`s playing budget was compromised to a level that restricted new signings - quite the opposite IMO.

One thing for sure, Brad and Shannon will have learned an awful lot about the recruitment process, contracts and a lot more over the past year. Shannon said during her recent (blog) interview that this season has been a steep learning curve for her and Brad.

There have clearly been costly failures in key recruitment and there`s no way that it will have escaped our savvy owners. If little changes in the coming weeks then BG and SG will have some important matters to review at the end of this season. I don`t believe they`ll be afraid to make difficult decisions.

There have clearly been costly failures in key recruitment and there`s no way that it will have escaped our savvy owners. If little changes in the coming weeks then BG and SG will have some important matters to review at the end of this season. I don`t believe they`ll be afraid to make difficult decisions.
If the play offs were the minimum expectation, I could see Brad becoming a bit of an Alan Sugar on the Apprentice and calling in the main protagonists at the season end, asking them who they think is responsible for the failure of the task.

Someone's head will roll but not sure who it will be this time, now NH is no longer in the firing line. My money would sadly be on AH as he is probably the least persuasive and most expendable.

The problem is with our set up it's all to easy for them to blame each other. Buck passing to save their own arses.

If we scrap the B team we should scrap the whole DOF bollocks. A manager should live and die by results and performances of the players he chooses, but I'm old school.

In public, the senior team - ie KJ, AH & SC will be towing the company line. Whilst there will no doubt be a hierarchy as far as recruitment is concerned, the three mentioned are employees and will be sticking to the politics as outlined by the owners.

My own feeling is that SC has been let down and signings commensurate with our new "direction" were probably alluded to but not delivered. Sacking SC now or in a few months achieves very little and scuttles our best course to eventual more attractive football.

To your points re Harris, if Brad and Shannon were convinced in early 23/24 season that GFC needed to adopt a more positive, attractive, footballing genre, then I doubt very much that Neil Harris was the prime mover of that particular sea change. Indications from BG concerning budget don`t suggest that the Club`s playing budget was compromised to a level that restricted new signings - quite the opposite IMO.

One thing for sure, Brad and Shannon will have learned an awful lot about the recruitment process, contracts and a lot more over the past year. Shannon said during her recent (blog) interview that this season has been a steep learning curve for her and Brad.

So "you think" the department called the Recruitment department wasn't in control of Recruitment?

So then we also have NH alone to thank for Coleman, Ogie, Masterson, J Williams, etc. Interesting.

Just as likely as Harris begging Recruitment to sign Bonne so at least we started the season with one forward of some previous repute, as things were being left so late and KJ was coming up with Sweet FA other than Nads. By that time we were not being rumoured as being after anyone else.

Could the fact that it became clear that the recruitment had not been good enough and NH had found (later to be confirmed by SC as well) that he could not get the requisite goals out of the upgraded team have created the tensions that led to his dismissal?
Sorry I have had enough of these witch hunts.
I'm going to try to step away from this discussion.All the best folks I hope it works out.

Successful business people like the Galinsons don't do failure. Neither are they shy from pulling the trigger. The stated objective of the business was promotion & in the likely event this does not occur I am confident that swift, decisive action will be taken.

I think mixed would be a fairer assessment

Hits :

Coleman
Ogie
Hutton
Masterson

Miss :

Nadesan
Walker (both)
Bonne
Clarke

Unsure (depends on wages)
Williams Jonny
Malone
Clarke (max)

Unknown:
Andrews
Orji
I would describe the performance of the recruitment team as variable. What is abundantly clear is that the definite success stories have been at the back. And the obvious failures have been up front. The contrast is stark.

I would describe the performance of the recruitment team as variable. What is abundantly clear is that the definite success stories have been at the back. And the obvious failures have been up front. The contrast is stark.
Precisely. Hence why if you choose to credit either NH, SC or KJ/AH/PS for the defensive and midfield signings you would have to criticise any or all of them for the forward signings.

I really can't see that the manager or head coach would just hold sway in respect of the forwards we choose and not the defenders or midfielders. Credit where it is due and vice versa.

As I stated earlier, it would seem strange to me if anyone called themselves head of recruitment and then didn't take responsibility for the whole thing.

In any case, NH was mainly getting criticism for the way he set the team up, not the personnel, wasn't he?

If neither Jorge nor Josh make it back from injury, we are so bare-boned up front that it might just be a useful exercise to put Shad up front on the Hawks` left.
He would probably spend the whole game being caught offside, or in completely the wrong place. Playing up front requires a totally different skillset.

In all my years of watching football I can think of only a few players who switched successfully between centre forward and centre half. My childhood hero Mark Weatherly, Paul Warhurst, Chris Sutton, Dion Dublin, Gary Docherty, Richard Naylor at Ipswich, maybe Steve Walsh? It clearly isn't easy.

Precisely. Hence why if you choose to credit either NH, SC or KJ/AH/PS for the defensive and midfield signings you would have to criticise any or all of them for the forward signings.

I really can't see that the manager or head coach would just hold sway in respect of the forwards we choose and not the defenders or midfielders. Credit where it is due and vice versa.

As I stated earlier, it would seem strange to me if anyone called themselves head of recruitment and then didn't take responsibility for the whole thing.

In any case, NH was mainly getting criticism for the way he set the team up, not the personnel, wasn't he?
Greenaldo anyone? Walker? Etc etc. the recruitment from Shorey was dire.