The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs")

This isn’t about today, we've seen a few performances like today, only to then return to type for 3 or 4 games. If today was the norm and we just lacked a finisher I'd agree, but it isn't.

Today we lacked a cutting edge, far too often we've had far more to worry in our performances before even thinking about a lack of cutting edge.
Agree with all of this and I felt SC alluded to some of this in his post match interview today. Our main failing I’m afraid rests with the owners and those responsible for transfers for leaving us in such a sorry state in terms of quality up front. However, today we employed the best system we can and we do have enough quality players (more so than most in the division) to make the playoffs and everyone gave their all. For me, if we do that for the last half or dozen or so games, we should make the playoffs. If we don’t, questions will then need to be asked why we’ve got ourselves in to such a sorry state in terms of attacking options.

Haha, you do make me laugh Solent, as Sturdy said after your post 'One point off the play offs FFS'...with 7 games to go. You could only dream of that this time last year. As others have said it was a very good performance today, we could easily have had 5 or 6 goals. Very worrying that you call yourself a Gillingham supporter when we're only a point off play offs, played well and you're still a moaning misery. Very sad man.
So glad I make you laugh but listen, its all about opinions. You think wer'e be in the Play-Offs where as I dont. How does me having a difference of opinion to yours make me less of a supporter of Gillingham than you?

Haha, you do make me laugh Solent, as Sturdy said after your post 'One point off the play offs FFS'...with 7 games to go. You could only dream of that this time last year. As others have said it was a very good performance today, we could easily have had 5 or 6 goals. Very worrying that you call yourself a Gillingham supporter when we're only a point off play offs, played well and you're still a moaning misery. Very sad man.
Five or six goals would have been a pretty good return from our six shots on target.

Yes, it did sound like one of our better performances today and that we were marginally the better side.

However, we still only have 22 goals from 23 league games since SC took over so it is not easy to see how we would give any other team that sort of tonking any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how we set up for the next game as Masterson will be available again but we saw that the Masterson/Ogie partnership was not working earlier in the season. Hence why Max was recalled and we eventually went to three at the back, with wing backs. Considering we went with a four today and had more attacking intent, it may be a difficult decision.

While I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get 3 points, and with all honesty I can't see us getting into the playoffs, I enjoyed that game.
An earlier poster mentioned how good Lapslie and Williams were today. Ogie was great and could have should have scored with a blistering shot in the second half.
Overall lots to enjoy about today except perhaps the result.

Last edited:
Are we not entertained?
That’s what everyone was going on about under Harris.
He plays winning but dour football.
Gills fans were screaming out for entertainment.
Now, all of a sudden, it’s all about the results.
My position has always been results over performances. For me the only thing that ever matters is winning. Don't get points for style.

The shift in focus you mention by many fans to results is just a reflection of where we are in the season & the desperate need for wins to bring the promotion which was the stated objective of this season.

Personally I would have been more than delighted had we achieved promotion with a series of dour 1-0 wins. Perhaps I'm an exception?

Five or six goals would have been a pretty good return from our six shots on target.

Yes, it did sound like one of our better performances today and that we were marginally the better side.

However, we still only have 22 goals from 23 league games since SC took over so it is not easy to see how we would give any other team that sort of tonking any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how we set up for the next game as Masterson will be available again but we saw that the Masterson/Ogie partnership was not working earlier in the season. Hence why Max was recalled and we eventually went to three at the back, with wing backs. Considering we went with a four today and had more attacking intent, it may be a difficult decision.
Just to add to the conundrum i thought mckenzie played well in the coleman role won a lot of headers etc.. still a vital squad player who can’t nail down a regular place.

Think it says a lot about the standards we’ve set this season that because the performance was a bit better than Tuesday, a point at home to a team down the bottom end of the table is deemed enjoyable and gets a pass.

Was must win for me today and we again fell short. Once again we concede the first goal, that’s the 9th time in our last 12 games that’s happened, which with our goal output inevitably leaves us too much to do to win games (remember people hated only winning 1-0). Performance better than some of what we’ve seen lately? Definitely. Performance good enough for where we aim to be? Not for me.

My position has always been results over performances. For me the only thing that ever matters is winning. Don't get points for style.

The shift in focus you mention by many fans to results is just a reflection of where we are in the season & the desperate need for wins to bring the promotion which was the stated objective of this season.

Personally I would have been more than delighted had we achieved promotion with a series of dour 1-0 wins. Perhaps I'm an exception?
No you’re not alone. Couldn’t agree more. I have always gone to home/away games to see us win. Forget this “ entertainment” stuff, I get that at the theatre / cinema etc.
Three points and I go home happy regardless of the performance.

The question really is, is that how radical Clem will be in pursuit of the last playoff place.
Will he continue with his safety first 5 across the back or go shit or bust to win the remaining games?
Personally I would rather go down in flames at least giving it our best shot.
Nothing ventured …

Think it says a lot about the standards we’ve set this season that because the performance was a bit better than Tuesday, a point at home to a team down the bottom end of the table is deemed enjoyable and gets a pass.

Was must win for me today and we again fell short. Once again we concede the first goal, that’s the 9th time in our last 12 games that’s happened, which with our goal output inevitably leaves us too much to do to win games (remember people hated only winning 1-0). Performance better than some of what we’ve seen lately? Definitely. Performance good enough for where we aim to be? Not for
It just feels that we’re far more likely to win games with performances like today’s rather than some of the other recent home games.

The question really is, is that how radical Clem will be in pursuit of the last playoff place.
Will he continue with his safety first 5 across the back or go shit or bust to win the remaining games?
Personally I would rather go down in flames at least giving it our best shot.
Nothing ventured …
It’s not really 5 at the back though is it. The whole point is to use the wing back system, which means a lot of the time it’s 3 at the back. I’m not sure how more offensive we could be other than play 3 up front as Hess used to do but then they were often King, Onoura and Shaw !

Was must win for me today and we again fell short.

I have to agree with the above. I was pleased that the team, which seemed weakened by illnesses this week, actually showed some character after the debacle on Tuesday. BUT ........ Grimsby looked very poor and were there to be beaten. We created enough chances to win comfortably and Morris was a spectator for the whole second half.

Player ratings.

Morris (6) as he wasn't required to do anything more and couldn't be faulted for the goal.

Hutton (6) as he did what he's employed to do before fading in the last 20.

Clark (5). Made a few mistakes and did little of note.

Ehmer (7). Solid and dependable alongside a very good MotM Ogie (7).

McKenzie did well in the Coleman role and actually got forward more. Sadly he faded in the second half (6).

Willams and Lapslie worked well together and both probably had the best game I've seen them have for us. (7) is possibly a bit generous.

After a few decent games Dieng has faded again. Better than Tuesday but only just a (6) from me.

Mahoney showed his class several times but his woeful free kick and not hitting the target when he should have done = another (6).

Hawkins had a great first half and actually lasted better than he normally does but his performance may have been more down to how poor Grimsby were. Missing the sitter he did and not really testing the keeper at any time is (6) at best.

I can only think that the experienced players on the bench were not 100% fit and only there to cover emergencies hence their late introduction. None had a chance to have any influence on the game.

Missed it. Last day at our local ski hill and four hours of pizza and French fries (not food) with my granddaughter on a bunny hill that looked like a slag heap plus loads of cheap food. I know I’m an occasional but I lean to watching each game of football as a thing in itself rather than a rung on the ladder. I came away from the Tranmere game entertained and today’s sounds better. Up the Gills.

Agree with all of this and I felt SC alluded to some of this in his post match interview today. Our main failing I’m afraid rests with the owners and those responsible for transfers for leaving us in such a sorry state in terms of quality up front. However, today we employed the best system we can and we do have enough quality players (more so than most in the division) to make the playoffs and everyone gave their all. For me, if we do that for the last half or dozen or so games, we should make the playoffs. If we don’t, questions will then need to be asked why we’ve got ourselves in to such a sorry state in terms of attacking options.
Yes clemence saying he’d “deal with the problem going forward” which in context of the post match interview to me sounded like he’d be signing players in the summer to sort out our goalscoring issues.
It’s not him that missed the chances today, we had more than enough chances to win the game with the setup / formation he provided, but our players lack quality in that key area.
For this season there’s the hope that Andrews might hit the ground running once he’s fit enough to play, but it will probably be too late by then. Hurtado may come back for the last game or two but then again would Watford think it’s worth the risk to let him rejoin us?

It just feels that we’re far more likely to win games with performances like today’s rather than some of the other recent home games.
We are also far more likely to be hit on the break.

Grimsby's goal came from their goalkeeper straight through the middle. If we had not equalised immediately, that could have been decisive with our lack of firepower.

I don't disagree that we have little to lose now though, so might as well go hell for leather.

Hi GBN.

I was surprised to read that you thought we only had 6 shots on target…. …but seems you are right.

What you didn’t see was that we had at least 3 shots that hit the woodwork, which aren’t counted as a shot on target.

We did look really dangerous all game. We had loads of attacking intent. We didn’t just aimlessly boot it up to The Hawk.

With someone who can put the ball away, we could easily have had 5-6 goals today. I’ve no idea why we can’t bang a few more in. After 2nd half last week and yesterdays performance, I’m starting to feel that there is a curse against us.

I have to agree with the above. I was pleased that the team, which seemed weakened by illnesses this week, actually showed some character after the debacle on Tuesday. BUT ........ Grimsby looked very poor and were there to be beaten. We created enough chances to win comfortably and Morris was a spectator for the whole second half.

Player ratings.

Morris (6) as he wasn't required to do anything more and couldn't be faulted for the goal.

Hutton (6) as he did what he's employed to do before fading in the last 20.

Clark (5). Made a few mistakes and did little of note.

Ehmer (7). Solid and dependable alongside a very good MotM Ogie (7).

McKenzie did well in the Coleman role and actually got forward more. Sadly he faded in the second half (6).

Willams and Lapslie worked well together and both probably had the best game I've seen them have for us. (7) is possibly a bit generous.

After a few decent games Dieng has faded again. Better than Tuesday but only just a (6) from me.

Mahoney showed his class several times but his woeful free kick and not hitting the target when he should have done = another (6).

Hawkins had a great first half and actually lasted better than he normally does but his performance may have been more down to how poor Grimsby were. Missing the sitter he did and not really testing the keeper at any time is (6) at best.

I can only think that the experienced players on the bench were not 100% fit and only there to cover emergencies hence their late introduction. None had a chance to have any influence on the game.
Very harsh on Clark who for me was one of the better players getting forward particularly in the first half. He picked some great passes out of defence. He’s also a far better defender than Malone.

While I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get 3 points, and with all honesty I can't see us getting into the playoffs, I enjoyed that game.
An earlier poster mentioned how good Lapslie and Williams were today. Ogie was great and could have should have scored with a blistering shot in the second half.
Overall lots to enjoy about today except perhaps the result.
That was easily Lapslie’s best performance for us.

I’ve not been impressed with him. He’s the biggest underperformer but yesterday he took accountability. And, he looked stronger.