The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 307 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a couple of reports doing the rounds tonight that DS is going to be replaced by Bruno Lage, the former Benfica boss.....

Here's one of them;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...h-replaced-Bruno-Lage-Premier-League-survival

Think I'd rather stick if this is the best we can come up with.

200w.gif

So the absolute bollocks begins again. A man sacked for Benfica's worst ever losing streak I believe is now a shoe in for our job?

And we report as an English media unsubstantiated, unqualified and unsourced absolute horseshit and bollocks from Portugal as truth. Haven't the Express got some Diana crying to do? Maybe Meghan is black bollocks to rehash? Harry is ginger? The Queen might have had sex?

Can we rename wannabe (they aren't, they are untrained shelf fillers) journalists as *****?

Stop reading this shit people, please.

If it is in the Express (who have been predicting snowmaggedon for the last several winters as well as countless other examples of factually incorrect nonsense), you can safely assume that the rumour is a steaming pile of 💩

I disagree on that. I'd like Suso to continue to be our abroad scout, but I'd bring in the chap that worked at Saints and then Spurs (now moved to Germany - is it Paul Smith or something) as the overall head because he has the UK market nailed as well.

DS shouldn't be given the final say on transfers, but he should have 1/2 veto's. Otherwise we are back to lurching from a MON to a Houllier to an Eck etc and no defined style of play, plan, continuity etc.

We need to tweak not overhaul.
Evolution not revolution agreed. I'm thinking that the owners will give Dean next season now. A few people's livelihoods rested on that result. Maybe JT will move on and we'll bring in a new coach or two.

An excerpt from the Express story:
Lage was recently sacked by Benfica after overseeing the club's worst-ever sequence of results.

The Primeira Liga won just two matches from 13 in all competitions which included five home games without a win.

That's just one of the reasons why it would come as a huge surprise if he was to replace Smith in the hot-seat.

Think they got that bit right.

Fascinating decision to be made by the owners now.

Strong arguments either way. But after promotion and survival against the odds the owners will need to make any new manager a stellar one over keeping Smith.

He's done an excellent job and I can't wait to see where we are in 12 months time. Just like at Walsall and Brentford, he's climbing the rungs of the ladder towards success. Such a positive man, I'd have loved to have played for him.

He's going to go down as a legend of this football club. I hope the club invests in a few high class players to play with Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Douglas, Grealish, McGinn next season. Anything is possible if we have the right players.

He's done an excellent job and I can't wait to see where we are in 12 months time. Just like at Walsall and Brentford, he's climbing the rungs of the ladder towards success. Such a positive man, I'd have loved to have played for him.

He's going to go down as a legend of this football club. I hope the club invests in a few high class players to play with Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Douglas, Grealish, McGinn next season. Anything is possible if we have the right players.

I have to agree. This season was about survival and we have done that. We would have taken this happily at the beginning of the season. Ofcourse we had to go through the middle bit to get here.

There will always he some that moan. This club 18 months ago when Deano came in was mid table championship, going nowhere l

He is learning on the job too. 12 or so new players had to bed in last summer along with those still their. A team doesn't gel overnight.

A few new players this summer with a must for at least one decent striker and we can push on for mid table obscurity next season. That's as much as my heart can deal with after today

I disagree on that. I'd like Suso to continue to be our abroad scout, but I'd bring in the chap that worked at Saints and then Spurs (now moved to Germany - is it Paul Smith or something) as the overall head because he has the UK market nailed as well.

DS shouldn't be given the final say on transfers, but he should have 1/2 veto's. Otherwise we are back to lurching from a MON to a Houllier to an Eck etc and no defined style of play, plan, continuity etc.

We need to tweak not overhaul.
I doubt Suso would take a step down, if he does fine but if not he’s got to go for, I just can’t trust him to mastermind another spending spree.

Other than that though I completely agree and with your other post about DS earning until Christmas now. I’d love that Paul Mitchell to take over as DoF, now that would be a real sign of intent.

Last edited:
Just brilliant to of survived.

Hard work starts now, we can’t have another season like that , need to get the signings right and a few players should be gone. A season can’t be judged on last few games alone!

Need to completely revamp our forward players, we need finishers.

Can‘t have another season of letting the defence soak up attacks , need to be far better in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Should we keep Smith ? Well if things don’t improve performance on the pitch he’ll be gone, needs to change our style of play. Look at top teams they are very fast , decisive and clinical in attack , AV aren’t, the sole striker , sorry but none of the top teams have a player like Davis , holds the ball up well, not quick enough on the ground.

Sentiment must be shown the door, mediocre players need to be moved on, we have enough of them, when some of our promising youngsters come through, Smith needs to get them in the team and on the bench.

Need to convince Grealish to stay and follow up with a few very big signings

Get on with it now Villa

As one or two pointed out, cannot see him being moved on unless there's an amazing candidate out there who will want the job, i.e. a Pochettino type.

On that basis I think we will be continuing with Dean, he certainly has earned it, we were what, 13th in the Championship like a year and a half a ago? He has done brilliantly.

I do think the parameters will shift a bit, we will see continued investment and more of a drive for quality over quantity. Expectations will be that bit higher as a result. A bad run over the course of 10 games might see him moved on next season whereas this season he had a lot more leeway since the goal was just survival.

As one or two pointed out, cannot see him being moved on unless there's an amazing candidate out there who will want the job, i.e. a Pochettino type.

On that basis I think we will be continuing with Dean, he certainly has earned it, we were what, 13th in the Championship like a year and a half a ago? He has done brilliantly.

I do think the parameters will shift a bit, we will see continued investment and more of a drive for quality over quantity. Expectations will be that bit higher as a result. A bad run over the course of 10 games might see him moved on next season whereas this season he had a lot more leeway since the goal was just survival.
Expectations rise next season again but I have no doubts that he will deliver. We just have to hope that recruitment is right, that we bring in the right players this time. I think we've gone from four players suitable for the starting XI first team before lockdown (Heaton, Mings, Grealish, McGinn) to six now (Konsa, Douglas). 150m on five top quality first team players and I think we can challenge on all fronts next season. That'll be the expectation like you say, like any coach he will be judged season to season. I have total faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.