The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 306 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now how to judge that one? Well done to Dean and the team for the last 4 results. Doesn’t paper over a very poor season but credit to them, when the chips were down they came through as a group.

And then the question becomes, next season has to be comfortable and midtable to have made this season worthwhile.

Did we finally see enough to not look for a new man?

Given my changed well stated doubts, on the presumption DS is not 100% charge of transfers, I think I'm back in the camp of 'until Jan as long as we see a continuation now'.

I don't think he's done enough to be given next season in full, but I do think he's done enough to go to Jan and past the 10-15 games talk.

DS aftermatch.

Read the riot act, knew the scores, but we weren't doing enough. Praise for seeing the game out as we did.

Back to a bit more honesty for me.

Congratulations to Dean Smith, I’m still not entirely convinced he’s the right man for the job.
However I wouldn’t complain if he’s given another season on the basis that there are major changes to the way we scout and recruit players. To start with Jesus Pitarch has to get the sack and DS should be given final say on transfers. This way he has no excuses next season.

Congratulations to Dean Smith, I’m still not entirely convinced he’s the right man for the job.
However I wouldn’t complain if he’s given another season on the basis that there are major changes to the way we scout and recruit players. To start with Jesus Pitarch has to get the sack and DS should be given final say on transfers. This way he has no excuses next season.

I disagree on that. I'd like Suso to continue to be our abroad scout, but I'd bring in the chap that worked at Saints and then Spurs (now moved to Germany - is it Paul Smith or something) as the overall head because he has the UK market nailed as well.

DS shouldn't be given the final say on transfers, but he should have 1/2 veto's. Otherwise we are back to lurching from a MON to a Houllier to an Eck etc and no defined style of play, plan, continuity etc.

We need to tweak not overhaul.

Well done Dean. He seems to have learned some valuable lessons on how not to lose a match. Can he tweak the team now so that other teams have to worry about us?

I disagree on that. I'd like Suso to continue to be our abroad scout,

DS shouldn't be given the final say on transfers, but he should have 1/2 veto's. Otherwise we are back to lurching from a MON to a Houllier to an Eck etc and no defined style of play, plan, continuity etc.

We need to tweak not overhaul.

I agree with that.

I dont think in a modern footballing world we should be letting the coach have such a pivotal role. There needs to be structure and I agree he should be allowed to make at least one objection and he should also be allowed some resources to scout his own choices and let the club run the rule.

As a Dean loyalist he has done all that I wanted (and more). He has secured our Premiership survival (and given us a bloody good cup run).

Well done and thank you Dean. I look forward to you building on this.

The team has done OK over the last 4 matches. Not outstanding, but enough to pull us out of the smelly stuff.

Which means to me that by and large last summer's signings were OK, as far as they went. So I don't think Susso will or should get the chop for that. Although the board might decide on somebody different going forwards.

Dean gets the credit for getting us out of the mess. Should he have done better? The team's played well over the last 4 matches, but the attack still looks patchy. Can he sort it? Think those are the questions the board will be asking.

Earned the right to lead the club into next season. I hope the owners back the manager again maybe bringing in some much needed experience. Maybe 3 players needed and definitely one has to be a striker. Let’s hope with the defence looking a bit more secure we can be treated to a better brand of football. Would love the club to show more ambition and with the manager position secure it’s a chance to spend again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.