The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil Moxley sums it up for me I think -

It's almost like we didn't know which route to go down so went down 3 different routes at the same time.

Hopeful it works... but not excited.

Or. They did know what route to go down and thinks this could work. Which it is just as likely to work as not.

No appointment is 100 percent guarantee. Bet Manure though Jose was going to be the one to bring it back.

This is more natural than Henry and Terry or Rui Johnny nobody and Terry .

I genuinely think this is the best we can do in out current lowly status.

I know i will be in the minority here but the appointments worry me. I hope I am wrong, part of me says the Villa man has an effect. It helped Crowe, Little, Gregory, BFR so who knows.

But I see similar similarities to Lambert on this. Good "lower team" manager, but can he handle both the pressure, and the mess that is Aston Villa. Can he manage egos like Grealish wanting to play for England but currently not playing well but keeping out a guy who wecare paying 70k a week to ? (Not having a go at the players, it is just one of the issues he didnt have at Walsall or Brentford) , similar to our maverick star forward, a Chelsea and England player and a bloke who scored 20 plus for him , how will he handle that ? (Never mind Richards n McCormack)

I also worry we have made the same mistake for the 4th time on the trot - employing a manager, nit bringing in his staff and expect him to work with people he has never met. I am convinced Calderwood was the doing of Bruce.

And this Jesus ?. Valencia sounds good but we follow Valencia as i have a place near there, i go the odd game, my son pays subscription to watch them - until lasg season Valencia were appalling, similarvto the decline of Villa, season after season of relegation struggle. They hot back last season, unfort. Jesus departed long before the rebirth.

I will now support and pray to god this works, but I am sceptical.

One question keeps worrying me..... "if Dean Smith was from Aylesbury and supported Watford - would the fans want him ?"

Personally, I think we need top 2 and bare minimum is Top 6 and win the plag offs, will Smith give that, maybe, maybe not - he hasnt before and you would put your money that managers like Pulis will (and alrhough his time had come, you know Bruce was correct when he said we will be there or there abouts - coz thats what he does. I dont think we were in a position to take a "maybe". Nothing is guarenteed, but you know a Rodgers can do it, can handle a big club, can handle big players, can handle big problems. I think we should have gone that way. Whether Rodgers, or someone like him.

Stopped reading at the mention of Grealish.

I cant get my head around why we sack the manager then employ another from the same league whose team is only 3 points better off than us, having scored the same number of goals as us and conceded just 6 less than us. I agree with Deano, Wilder from Sheff Utd would have been a better bet. Gone within 2 years.

Happy with that. Hope fans can get behind him and no abusive twat decides to throw vegetables at him

Plays nice football, supports the club, good shout as number two.

All in all, pleased the chase is over, he's got time now to prepare.

Welcome Dean Smith. :utv:
34% win rate! Just saying!!

I cant get my head around why we sack the manager then employ another from the same league whose team is only 3 points better off than us, having scored the same number of goals as us and conceded just 6 less than us. I agree with Deano, Wilder from Sheff Utd would have been a better bet. Gone within 2 years.
Wilder is managing his boyhood club perhaps he also has his dream job ?

Well some have reservations and some think he can't fail me personally I like the thinking and the strategy behind it all. Whether it works or not I'm gonna firmly plant my arse on the fence with that one. But for once it does feel like we have a direction and all though it may not produce instant results in the long run it could be very worthwhile.

This may be the case, but let's not forget that the team is Brentford and has a low budget. With due respect to the Bees, they have punched way above their weight due to the manager. If he can get the current squad punching above their weight, then the PL definitely beckons. The only question mark is whether he can cope with the bigger club and enhanced expectations. He seems level headed enough to do both in my opinion.
As the great Ron Saunders said "do you want to bet against us?"

Well some have reservations and some think he can't fail me personally I like the thinking and the strategy behind it all. Whether it works or not I'm gonna firmly plant my arse on the fence with that one. But for once it does feel like we have a direction and all though it may not produce instant results in the long run it could be very worthwhile.

Yep, it does seem like that. The Brentford model is that managers, coaches, staff etc. all come and go but the club stays the same. The philosophy stays the same. That's why Brentford were fine when Warburton left, and will be fine (probably) now that Smith is gone. It would be great to see such a model implemented at Villa, although I don't know if it would work the same at a bigger club, but there's nothing wrong with trying.

If we wanted a manager from this league, then Cook and Wilder both have better CV's than Smith, but are not Villa fans which seems to be the main thing.

If a Villa connection was the main thing, then why not hire Dwight Yorke?

As far as I'm aware this is Cook's first season as a Championship manager and only Wilder's second, so at the very least Smith has a couple more years Championship experience.

I haven't seen enough of Wigan and Sheff Utd to have an opinion (apart from when the latter battered us) but I have seen Brentford a lot more, including last Saturday where they were just as good as fancy pants Leeds.

If he can get the players we have playing something resembling football, then surely the quality we have will push us right up the table. But we're going to have to outscore everyone until January unless JT brings his boots.

Brentford nced O'Kelly has left to join Smith - now that makes me feel abit better - it never works bringing one man without his team.

First decision needed - tell JT I know he is 6 days into retirement, but can he put his boots on for the next 8 weeks just to get us through until Dec 31st.

Then go and get Mepham and Sawyers (who we should have got for nowt from Walsall !)

Status
Not open for further replies.