The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it gives this season a fresh feel, new manager syndrome for 4-5 games should see the extra 30% of the players trying to Impress the new boss.

Well it gives this season a fresh feel, new manager syndrome for 4-5 games should see the extra 30% of the players trying to Impress the new boss.
We’re Aston Villa - new manger syndrome doesn’t exist, just like other teams’ losing streaks continuing, other teams down to ten men and there for the taking.... we are the nemesis of the cliche....

I`ve wanted him as Manager forever, he should have been here instead of RDM.

I reckon we would have been up last season playing decent football.

Then again i wanted Lambert so what do i know.

What i can`t understand is the John Terry seemingly " forced " appointment alongside him, Dean has worked with his team and this has what has been a success for him.

If you read the Hogan interview he even states Terry is quiet off the pitch and a leader on it, we need him in that position to somehow now be a different person - it just seems odd to me.

Just like Peter Withe couldn`t turn Cascarino into a forward for us, can Terry work wonders with this defence ? I hope so of course but we will see.

Just seems a strange combination at the moment to me.

A little under-whelmed if I’m honest. Would we have been clamouring for his name if he wasn’t a Villa fan?
But I believe his sides play decent football so I hope he brings that with him and, with every new Villa manager, I wish him only the best.

Last edited:
The Ginger Mourinho what's not to like!

Like I've said bloke in our office knows his best mate and he's always been banging on about Deano being a winner . played with him at Hereford . Born leader apparently.

Plus we have Jesus at the top now if you want some fancy named bloke the don't get fancier than Jesús Vicente García Pitarch Marco

Know what you mean Mollycruff.

But I think I would be underwhelmed whoever came in. It's a sign of where we are as a club, who we can attract and the state of modern football. Current average manager tenure would suggest that this time in 2 years we will have someone else in charge. So I find it difficult to get really 'into' a manager apointement and it's a bit like...ok that's good and then I'm thinking about what's for dinner...

I haven't been really excited by a villa manager apointement since MON.

Like I say it's a sign if the times and until we get up into that top, top level again I think it's a case of going around like we have being linked with brand new names line Henry, a certain level like Smith or a staple name like Bruce or BFS.

Both of course I'm 100% behind Smith and think in the current circumstances for us this is the best choice .

Know what you mean Mollycruff.

But I think I would be underwhelmed whoever came in. It's a sign of where we are as a club, who we can attract and the state of modern football. Current average manager tenure would suggest that this time in 2 years we will have someone else in charge. So I find it difficult to get really 'into' a manager apointement and it's a bit like...ok that's good and then I'm thinking about what's for dinner...

I haven't been really excited by a villa manager apointement since MON.

Like I say it's a sign if the times and until we get up into that top, top level again I think it's a case of going around like we have being linked with brand new names line Henry, a certain level like Smith or a staple name like Bruce or BFS.
This appointment excites me far, far more than Martin O’Neill. The fact that he is English puts people off as they are hypnotised as wanting a manager with a poncy foreign name but I honestly believe he is the best young manager in the country and if not the obsession for said poncy Europeans he would have a top premiership job either now or down the line (which of course he will have with us when he gets us up)

In itself not an appointment to put bums on seats. But a noticeable change in style of play and a good start and it certainly will. I was underwhelmed when Saunders arrived, never heard of him, I wanted Clough and the rest is history.
There will be a terrific atmosphere for the Swansea game with high hopes if not expectations. We will cheer everything and try to vocally force the ball into the net. It will take time of course and I know Villa fans will give him that knowing what he has walked into. These big name managers only want to take over a ready made team, too much risk to their reputations otherwise. Up the Villa and on the march!

Meh... he'll get my support but meh....

Think this appointment casts a lot of questions about our owners intentions. Think about it, they've never actually said we're gonna get you up then throw money at the club to try and challenge the top 6.

The appointment to me suggests they want to either

a) get us up and sell
b) do a Brentford and make us a sustainable club in this division, selling our best players each year and using the academy
c) get us up and struggle like Newcastle.

Think dreams of us being the next Man City were shot down last night.

Like I say, he'll get my support but I'm certainly not excited for the future.

The style of play thing is not as easy as it sounds... at Brentford he had a bunch of players who probably considered themselves lucky to be making a living in the game and would listen to him.

He's now got a bunch of primma donna's who probably think they know more about football than some guy from Brentford. I don't think he'll find it as easy to get his ideas across or get the respect of the players here as he did there.

What about FFP and the mess they have inherited Deano? Who would you have liked instead?

If FFP were an issue surely a manager not under contract would have been better?

Rodgers was my first choice and would have shown real ambition, not just for this season but moving forward.

If we wanted a manager from this league, then Cook and Wilder both have better CV's than Smith, but are not Villa fans which seems to be the main thing.

My concern was how would he react to the enormous pressure of being the manager of Aston Villa because I actually didn't know a lot about Dean Smith the man and the manager.

So I have read up about him and have listened to people talking about him on the radio etc and it would appear he tends to take pressure in his stride so that's reassuring.

We needed someone who knows the championship, we needed someone to give us a better and more expansive style of football and we needed someone who puts players in their correct positions and isn't afraid to tactically change it around when required - Then throw in John Terry to help with hopefully sorting out the defence and installing some confidence and organisation.

It's also a big plus factor that Terry knows the majority of the players and will have seen their weaknesses and strengths.

At this moment in time, I see it as a logical appointment and now it's up to you 2 guys to eventually get us back in the Premier League.

Good luck and up the Villa.

Last edited:
I don't think to be a Villa fan played any major significance in Dean Smiths appointment but it can be looked upon as a bonus and also because he should have a better understanding of the club and it will give him some extra time should he need it and hopefully he won't!?

Last edited:
Let me just clarify... my worries are not really about Smith. My worries are more to do with the owners and what their intentions are going forward. I think this appointment raises questions about the men in charge.

If Doug had made this appointment he'd have been slated for being cheap and unambitious.

Similar when John Gregory came in.

But we have to look at where we are at right now. I think the owners (or probably more the new CEO) has been practical here.

I'd have loved Rodgers here, that would have excited me, but maybe he was asked and wasn't willing to leave Celtic.

A lot of who were in the running weren't pleasing the fans, I think we all forget what a toxic place Villa is at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.