The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 528 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all my 63 years one thing always remains constant, my support for Aston Villa.
Chairmen come and go and managers come and go, Dean Smith was one of our own but there comes a time when you need to say enough is enough.

5 losses on the bounce aint the end of the world but 5 losses with 5 really piss poor pergormances has been hard to stomach. Good luck to Deano Im pretty sure he will receive a warm Aston Villa welcome when he returns to Villa Park.

Anyone but Gerrard ....... please not that scouse twat.

When you look at the cold hard facts , we employed a championship manager in Smith and funnily enough that's largely what we got standards wise. Two and a half seasons of premier league action he had and two of them were mediocre, only that first half of a season in the "ghost season" and particularly the opening 5 wins in 7 were impressive, even in that half a season there were some piss poor results losing at home to Leeds , Brighton, Southampton etc etc
So thanks Deano , we like you cos your one of us, but you aren't premier league management material .

To be fair, the first half of last season was great, and it was down to two players, Jack and Ross. Then both got injured, and Ross went missing when he came back. Any team without those two is going to suffer. But maybe we shouldn't have suffered as much as we did.

When you look at the cold hard facts , we employed a championship manager in Smith and funnily enough that's largely what we got standards wise. Two and a half seasons of premier league action he had and two of them were mediocre, only that first half of a season in the "ghost season" and particularly the opening 5 wins in 7 were impressive, even in that half a season there were some piss poor results losing at home to Leeds , Brighton, Southampton etc etc
So thanks Deano , we like you cos your one of us, but you aren't premier league management material .
You don't get an 11th placed finish in the PL if you're a Championship manager. You don't.

In your opinion.

I wish Dean all the best, I didn't want to see him sacked, but can understand the decision and the timing. I hope he goes down in villa history as a hero.
Just hope the new boss comes in and shows the players how to pass to each other and play with a belief.

Read an article of when purslow was at Liverpool, he called himself the Fernando Torres of Finance and he gravitated to the star players like torres and Gerrard wanting to be part of the cool kid gang. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard offered the job. It's just a stepping stone to him until Liverpool job comes available. Same with JT, once tuchel goes he'll want that one and we're back to square one.

Would gerrard give us that bite in midfield that we're missing? Would Potter be able to get us playing decent hard to beat football? Would Mark Delaney be able to step up? Does Andre Villas-boas translate to Aston villa Boss?

#thankyoudeano

I think we get the fact you hate him mate not his fault he replaced your hero Bruce as manager and let the Irish Pirlo go to Sheff united, we'd still be in the championship captained by Conor Hourihane if you had your way

Two quotes regarding Dean Smith’s tenure on this page..one which talks about ‘ghost seasons’, piss poor results, championship manager level….and John Gregory’s….I know which one virtually all Villa ‘supporters’ will agree with including those who felt his time was already up. Pity some, even now they’ve got what they wanted, can’t bring themselves to appreciate what he did achieve and continue to berate him in every single post.

The picture of Smith and Grealish together is gutting. That amazing time is now over. But they will go down in history. If a new manager can come in and take over, and push us to the next level, then DS with go down as the man who brought us back to life.

The one thing I always look forward to with a new manager, is who they rate, who they don’t, and where they think certain players fit into a formation. Some of the regulars may not be in the new managers plans. Maybe someone like Hause plays every week, or SjM and Doug are suddenly no.10’s - very interesting.

Ollie best up his game, because the teacher has now left.

i hope for the 3 things from the new manager:
He uses Ings correctly
He uses the talented youth players
He doesn’t start El Ghazi

He's done a great job, clearly one of the best managers we've had in a long time but we are in deep trouble and I think the current management team and players have run out of ideas on how to turn things around. The team have looked shell shocked and too many players have totally lost form and confidence to continue as we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.