The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 510 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stats can be applied to prove whatever point you want, I did this over a week ago to support my position that Dean is not doing enough as a coach to justify keeping him. The most important thing is what I see with my own eyes about how the team performs on the pitch and all the numbers do is back that up. If so minded you can do the opposite.

There is no hindsight or foresight required though. If we don't get a result tonight he's under even more pressure, and then the owners have the pressure thrust upon them. Do they give him another match, and then another, how many do you give him to try to turn this around?

In business, which football is now, there's a difference between giving someone a fair shot and knowing when to let them go. The best tend to be more proactive, rather than waiting for things to get in a hole when its more expensive and risky to let them continue. Its still a judgement call though.

If it were my business I'd have at least one option lined up ready, and then having given Dean plenty of time, and money, he could have no real qualms about being let go. He's had his shot, not learned, not taken his chance, and keeps repeating the same mistakes. Thanks for everything and goodbye if it were me.

We'll see in the fullness of time how the owners decide to plat things, but I can't see this being allowed to run and run.

Why can't he do what he did after project restart FFS and be more pragmatic.?
Because the season is only a quarter of the way through as opposed to only a quarter left and patience, rather than panic, is going to see things improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we expecting too much of Deano?
Tuchel, Klopp, Pep manage the top three teams in the league. Incidentally, they also have the best teams packed with the best players.

Kudos to Moyes with what he's doing with West Ham. IMHO, he didn't get a fair shot at MANU and I think if he was there now, he'd be getting a better tune out of them than Ollie is. Rodgers at Leicester will get one of the big clubs before his career is done.

For me, the rest of the managers are all pretty much of a muchness.
Is the real formula for success, not so much to do with the manager, but with having a top notch coaching squad in the background? Bit like old Cloughie and Peter Taylor?

Deano has lost a significant portion of his backroom staff. Is this where the problem lies? Should he have gone out and recruited better backroom staff in order to save his job? because if he gets a hiding tonight, Delaney may well be in charge of the next game.

only a quarter left and patience, rather than panic,

Ha ha, depends on your perspective doesn’t it? You say but it’s only 9 games don’t panic, and I say it’s more like 34 and stop dithering 😄

I understand if you want to be more patient and see if he can turn it around. My assessment is he’s had plenty of time, plenty of money and here we are again, and so I’d rather twist than stick.

Ha ha, depends on your perspective doesn’t it? You say but it’s only 9 games don’t panic, and I say it’s more like 34 and stop dithering 😄

I understand if you want to be more patient and see if he can turn it around. My assessment is he’s had plenty of time, plenty of money and here we are again, and so I’d rather twist than stick.
Ah Blackjack, Deano could certainly do with a black Jack….. Bailey turns up or bust me thinks .
Anyway COYVB :utv::utv::utv:

This season he should not be sacked because he lost his Plan A Jack, not enough preseason, bad luck with injuries. Next season he needs to be in the job, as we will buy some new players over 50 mill pounds as the ones below 40 mill don't seem to be any good and it will take time for them to gel etc etc. In summary, he has this job till he is alive.

Which uses inside forwards rather than wingers.

His biggest problem is the middle of the park and how easy is to just play through them.
3 midgets and not the most disciplined at holding their positions either especially Buendia and SJM who will follow the ball

Which uses inside forwards rather than wingers.

His biggest problem is the middle of the park and how easy is to just play through them.
Sure but a malfunctioning attack just means more time defending and the opposition full backs being able to pin yours back so...

Lost the plot, plucky losers against Southampton is not good enough. We need look nailed on relegation candidates. Time to go. Won't solve all our problems mind but he has lost control.

Status
Not open for further replies.