The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 450 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a terrific job he’s done in the 3 years he’s been at the club.….perhaps his biggest test awaits but wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him continue to take the club forwards and become one of our greatest. Every manager has flaws and he’s no different but progression in each of his three years thus far suggest his undoubted strengths still continue to outweigh his weaknesses. Difficult to deny that his appointment three years ago today was an inspired one. Nobody could have done much more to get the club competing again where it should be.

I must admit he was my choice and would have come in after the playoff loss to Fulham and Bruce had run his course, thankfully he arrived in October courtesy of the phantom cabbage flinger. He's upped his game from Walsall to Brentford to Villa, I'm hoping he can up it another level now, big ask but I think ripping up the whole set-up for some flash foreigner using us as a stepping stone is definitely a no no

I'll tell you one thing, Dean Smith knows what the Villa is all about. We've had quite a few dickheads over the years who talked us down, felt that the fans were a problem or spent their time day dreaming about managing other clubs.

I'm delighted that our club has its dignity back and Dean Smith has played a huge part in that.

I'm often surprised by how quickly my fellow fans turn against him when the results don't go our way. I guess some people are just sugarbags. :p

Luck is a factor for all managers. The 3 years could have gone:
promotion
relegation
promotion
can we survive this time?
... and various other combinations.

I think DS has always pushed us that bit further forwards when it matters. And himself. I don't think he's wedded to one approach; he does try things out. But that has to be done to move forwards. I expect he's champing at the bit to have a go at European football; that'll be another learning curve for everybody. At some point things might go pear shaped, but at the moment I can't see a sign of it.

One thing I do like is he's moved on O'Kelly and the celebrity Golfer and got in two highly rated new school coaches to work under him and Shakey

3 years in the hot seat. Despite grumblings here and there (mine definitely included) it's been a really good 3 year job and achievement. Long may it continue
I think he's significantly raised our expectations, which is why it hurts a little bit more when we lose to "lower ranked" teams. It's got to be a good thing that we get upset when we lose to teams like Spurs. I think we'd all like to see consistency in the results, but I'd also like to state that we have not arrived at the destination yet. I think there is a general recognition at the club that another two seasons (of experience and investment) are required to compete at the upper end of the division. Five year plan and all that. Until then, let's hope we retain the services of our stars and back them up with a sprinkling of youngsters and some canny investments.

I have bumped the thread because Smith is dominating the match thread and its distracting from the better things that happened in the match.
I think Smith is fire proof because of where we were when he took over and where we are now. Is he the manager to take us to the next level will now be the debate.
For me I think he is a decent manager but is he the one to take us to the next level. If the owners have real ambition I think they will have to ask themselves the same question.
Some will say who do I want to see manage us and the answer is I dont know. The so called top managers such as Conti et al want massive war chests and thats not going to happen.
I am not calling for Smith to go based on this one result but more performances like today and questions must be answered.

I have bumped the thread because Smith is dominating the match thread and its distracting from the better things that happened in the match.
I think Smith is fire proof because of where we were when he took over and where we are now. Is he the manager to take us to the next level will now be the debate.
For me I think he is a decent manager but is he the one to take us to the next level. If the owners have real ambition I think they will have to ask themselves the same question.
Some will say who do I want to see manage us and the answer is I dont know. The so called top managers such as Conti et al want massive war chests and thats not going to happen.
I am not calling for Smith to go based on this one result but more performances like today and questions must be answered.

Fair comment however the problem we have this season is that there is actually more wrong than right going on at the club which is disturbing and Smith doesn't appear to be strong or experienced enough to shake things up and bring some form of consistency to the team and how they play football.

All this good half, bad half rubbish, and then continually blaming the players whilst never looking in the mirror is getting rather tiresome now.

Fair comment however the problem we have this season is that there is actually more wrong than right going on at the club which is disturbing and Smith doesn't appear to be strong or experienced enough to shake things up and bring some form of consistency to the team and how they play football.

All this good half, bad half rubbish, and then continually blaming the players whilst never looking in the mirror is getting rather tiresome now.

He's becoming O'Leary in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.