The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 328 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if they feel my thoughts are a little ungrateful then I would answer that they decided to buy the club, there is a responsibility to invest in that club to drive it forward.
That's where football fans are wrong. They have a responsibility to their family, their loved ones. The only responsibility they have to the fans is to provide a team to fulfil the fixtures.

It's a business to them, nothing more. We can only hope that they have half your passion for the club Wurz. If they do, we'll be alright.

Well thats where we differ I suppose, and if they are coming into football as a business then they are in the wrong one, because football isn't known as an astute business to invest in, ask Mr Lerner. No they are adults they knew what they were getting involved in, it will not come as a surprise to them that top level sport is extremely expensive with no guarantee of a return, so if they buy the thing then they better invest in it, or not buy it in the first place.

Shopping at Brentford again? Deano has now put himself under massive pressure, and there's no Suso to scapegoat this time if it doesn't work out.

Massive gamble, hope it works, but no place for St Dean to hide if it doesn't.
Eh? Just because he's come from Brentford doesn't make the signing any more Dean's responsibility and any less McKenzie and Lange's. They have to have signed off on the transfer and the deal for it to have happened.

Well thats where we differ I suppose, and if they are coming into football as a business then they are in the wrong one, because football isn't known as an astute business to invest in, ask Mr Lerner. No they are adults they knew what they were getting involved in, it will not come as a surprise to them that top level sport is extremely expensive with no guarantee of a return, so if they buy the thing then they better invest in it, or not buy it in the first place.
Wes Edens owns the Milwaukee Bucks, who unfortunately just lost the play-offs right now but after absolutely smashing their division of the NBA before their own COVID break. He is not a penny-pincher by any stretch of the imagination.

Big season for Deano. Owners seem to have allowed him, Purslow et al free reign to bring in the players of their choice. If its not working then I can't see them accepting another season of struggle to avoid relegation. There was considerable heat on Smith last season with many calling for his head. If we are in shit street again after Christmas then they may have no option but to swing the axe. If we go down, it will be a massive blow to the club's financial plans for future team strengthening.

Eh? Just because he's come from Brentford doesn't make the signing any more Dean's responsibility and any less McKenzie and Lange's. They have to have signed off on the transfer and the deal for it to have happened.

Since we've been pursuing Watkins since before Lange and Mackenzie arrived, he can hardly be put down as their choice. Ultimately Purslow has responsibility for saying yea or nay. But essentially this is a Smith signing. Hope he's got it right.

Shopping at Brentford again? Deano has now put himself under massive pressure, and there's no Suso to scapegoat this time if it doesn't work out.

Massive gamble, hope it works, but no place for St Dean to hide if it doesn't.
And equally if the signing works out there's nowhere for you to hide from my smugness.:sneaky:

Since we've been pursuing Watkins since before Lange and Mackenzie arrived, he can hardly be put down as their choice. Ultimately Purslow has responsibility for saying yea or nay. But essentially this is a Smith signing. Hope he's got it right.
I'm sorry but that's not how corporate responsibility works. They're responsible for recruitment, and if this deal at this price was wrong for the club they are duty bound to not sign it off. If Purslow then decided to override them then that's his choice but there is zero indication that's what's happened. They all wear this, for good or bad.

I'm sorry but that's not how corporate responsibility works. They're responsible for recruitment, and if this deal at this price was wrong for the club they are duty bound to not sign it off. If Purslow then decided to override them then that's his choice but there is zero indication that's what's happened. They all wear this, for good or bad.

Sorry but I kept getting told how all the shite recruitment last season was nothing to do with St Dean (up until some started to get better and they suddenly became Smith signings overnight :lol:). There was none of that corporate collective responsibility then was there?

This is fair and square a Dean Smith pick. Purslow and Lange can say well Dean really wanted this player and so we backed his judgement if he doesn't work out, or be a real pair of pricks and claim credit for it if he bangs them in. Either way the truth is that Dean wanted a player he worked with before and this transfer was on his instigation.

Wes Edens owns the Milwaukee Bucks, who unfortunately just lost the play-offs right now but after absolutely smashing their division of the NBA before their own COVID break. He is not a penny-pincher by any stretch of the imagination.

Good, lets hope so.

I actually like the effort they are putting into the academy. Want to see someone jump out and scream "PLAY ME". Having a 17/18yr old superstar in the making would have us all talking - until he gets caught shagging a granny (Rooney) or on his back in Ibiza (Jack)

So do I, said it a few times, first day they went to Bodymoor, they found out it was losing the A class and they got their cheque books (!) out there and then to stop the damage Xia had been doing.

We've strayed away from Dean Smith here... but you are right, Randy said several times he was shocked people were saying he had come to Villa to make money.

To my mind it really doesn't matter who has signed what and who's player this is etc. If the players play to their potential, we cut out the garbage defending, we set up patterns of play (a style if you will) that is pleasing on the eye and compete for 90mins with the very best of them and nick a couple of results against the top six, then that will be a positive season.

If we under perform, lose heavily to the big guns, retreat behind the ball, play Pullis football, it'll be a failure and heads should and will role no matter who is responsible for the signings.

I do get the feeling here that some are hoping for failure to prove a stupid point on a football forum. I hope Dean Smith keeps his job purely because that will mean Aston Villa are doing something right, winning games and cheering us up.

It would be sooooo nice to have some success to discuss on here. Let's hope we are luckier than last season and keep the key players fit and healthy.

I do get the feeling here that some are hoping for failure to prove a stupid point on a football forum. I hope Dean Smith keeps his job purely because that will mean Aston Villa are doing something right, winning games and cheering us up.

Always a minority who want to be right, but from what I read on here, I think most (surely?) are just passionate, strong in their opinions and would take it as a fantastic thing if - when it comes to the manager or certain players - they are totally wrong.

I put myself in that category and I'm sure somewhere within this thread I will have said it already, I'd love him to be here in ten years, that would mean he's done fantastically and would be touching legend status.

Always a minority who want to be right, but from what I read on here, I think most (surely?) are just passionate, strong in their opinions and would take it as a fantastic thing if - when it comes to the manager or certain players - they are totally wrong.

I put myself in that category and I'm sure somewhere within this thread I will have said it already, I'd love him to be here in ten years, that would mean he's done fantastically and would be touching legend status.
He'll only be with us for 10yrs if we win things - like say 4th in the league :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.