The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 241 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So most people have reached the same conclusion that Dean is out of his depth at Villa and its time (past time for many) for him to go.

A few still cling to the tiniest of straws and continue to find excuses on his behalf, but the results and performances speak for themselves, and you can point at a number of other factors but ultimately Dean is accountable, and in my mind responsible for a good number of specific failings which I've rehearsed here many times so won't repeat now.

Like the previous incumbents like Bruce and Lambert, its perfectly obvious to the fans that they've failed miserably and need to be put out of their misery, but it takes the board far too long to catch up and then to decide to act.

Unless we get a massive stroke of luck then we are down.

Its just a matter of time now for Dean. When and not if.

No point in keeping him, he's not good enough and never will be. Move on.

Last edited:
So most people have reached the same conclusion that Dean is out of his depth at Villa and its time (past time for many) for him to go.

A few still cling to the tiniest of straws and continue to find excuses on his behalf, but the results and performances speak for themselves, and you can point at a number of other factors but ultimately Dean is accountable, and in my mind responsible for a good number of specific failings which I've rehearsed here many times so won't repeat now.

Like the previous incumbents like Bruce and Lambert, its perfectly obvious to the fans that they've failed miserably and need to be put out of their misery, but it takes the board far to long to catch up and then to decide to act.

If he keeps us up this season he's achieved the objective we set out with, and also took us to a league cup final, and as such he deserves another season with preferably a far more capable sporting director providing him with a much higher calibre of player.

If we go down, especially if we go down with 27 points in 19th position, I'd understand if he were sacked. I wouldn't personally agree with it because on a whole, in the 18 months he's done far more than I expected we were capable of and he is the first manager that we have had in a while that players seem to enjoy playing for and grow under.

If he is sacked, I just hope we replace him with someone like Pochettino. I couldn't stand it if John Terry replaced him, or one of the old hands like Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes, Redknapp. We need to keep moving forward either with Smith who fits this club like a glove and can grow with us, or with an already established great manager.

Owners expecting Smith to keep us up... just shows how naive they are...... this has been as bad as any season over the past few years... We turn managers and players into blabbering idiots.....
No it hasn't the season we went down we were a total disgrace of a club. We had 4 or 5 managers in a season, players were taking the piss and were more bothered about their new cars or threesomes in Dubai. We were clearly relegated by Christmas. The anger towards the players was tangible it was really nasty. This is nowhere near as bad.

Like the previous incumbents like Bruce and Lambert, its perfectly obvious to the fans that they've failed miserably and need to be put out of their misery, but it takes the board far too long to catch up and then to decide to act.

No point in keeping him, he's not good enough and never will be. Move on.
Well not really I have watched several different youtube channels with Villa fans giving their opinions not a single one has said that they think Dean should be sacked.

Interesting looking at the views at the start of this thread well worth a read,

On October 1th 2018 I wrote

I couldn't give two flying ducks if he is a Villa fan or not, the important thing is is he up to the task of getting this massive club back in the top flight or not. He has got his chance the old fashioned way by working his way through the leagues so I say good luck to him, he is going to need it because the first bad run the pressure will be heaped on his head, as it is with all managers. Let's hope he can get this squad working together.

If he keeps us up this season

It will be through sheer dumb luck, and nothing whatsoever to do with Smith.

If Villa can get a draw or two and the likes of Bournemouth and West Ham lose all their remaining games (especially the last one) then we'll stay up because unbelievably there are 3 worse teams than this shower he has mismanaged all season.

I think the most important thing for people to get their heads round is that he will not be sacked before the end of the season.

Personally i would go all out and get rid to try at least something because we are going down with a whimper

But I think the board will look at the table and not speculate where we will get this point or that point and will see that we are not out of touch and infact have somehow gained on those above us since the restart.

It will be through sheer dumb luck, and nothing whatsoever to do with Smith.

If Villa can get a draw or two and the likes of Bournemouth and West Ham lose all their remaining games (especially the last one) then we'll stay up because unbelievably there are 3 worse teams than this shower he has mismanaged all season.
If we get two or three draws and beat west ham on the final day of the season to stay up, Smith has worked a minor miracle to keep these in the league. I know you're intelligent and a solid fan Crimson from reading your posts on here, so I know you know theres no such thing as luck in this league. If a manager gets promoted through the play offs and keeps that team in the league, hes performed a minor miracle.

sounds more like the very basic function of a manager rather than something miraculous tbh.
Simply is he getting results, are we improving and is he getting the most out of the players ? If he's not doing that then something has to change altho it looks like it'll be too late for this season

sounds more like the very basic function of a manager rather than something miraculous tbh.
Simply is he getting results, are we improving and is he getting the most out of the players ? If he's not doing that then something has to change altho it looks like it'll be too late for this season
Yeah, two points from four tough games is acceptable so he is getting results.

Jack Grealish has gone from being famous for ditching Ireland for England to being an 80m rated player. Mings has gone from being out on loan from Bournemouth in the championship to playing for England. McGinn has gone from being a 1.5m championship player to being a 40m rated midfielder. So yes, the team is improving.

I'd suggest 2 pts from 12 to not be acceptable
(nor 27 pts from 32 games)

the player improvement in terms of their imagined value and International call ups is largely the result of being (briefly) in the Prem.
If it's down to coaching then I'd expect all to be getting better and better as each week goes by - is that whats happening ?

He also plays boring football, but let's forget that because he's a big name

Like it or not there is no way Smith is leaving until the end of next month , and the depending where we are all will be reviewed by Mr slimy and the two owners
Boring football or not he has a CV to stick on the table which is a lot more than will be said of most of those that will consider us when he does go.
If I remember rightly you youself published a list on here recently (looked but couldnt find it, so apologies if I am wrong) of prospective managers if we do sack him and there wasnt anything very exciting on it.
Its like a bloody circus.

Yeah, two points from four tough games is acceptable so he is getting results.

Jack Grealish has gone from being famous for ditching Ireland for England to being an 80m rated player. Mings has gone from being out on loan from Bournemouth in the championship to playing for England. McGinn has gone from being a 1.5m championship player to being a 40m rated midfielder. So yes, the team is improving.
When put like that Idgavfc is all sounds very reasonable, but when you look at the team performance as a whole it isnt acceptable.
Jack looks totally pissed off playing under Smith. Mings divides opinion on here from being best player in the side after Jack to being a mistake always waiting to happen. McGinn likewise the subject of abuse on here (not by me), and you say the team is improving.
Sorry I just dont see any improvement at all.

Well not really I have watched several different youtube channels with Villa fans giving their opinions not a single one has said that they think Dean should be sacked.

Really?? I have hardly come across any fan who thinks Deano should stay on. Some will say give him til the end of the season, but even they want to change Managers at the end of the season. I do half think he's have got the bullet after the Leicester game if it wasnt for Covid

Really?? I have hardly come across any fan who thinks Deano should stay on. Some will say give him til the end of the season, but even they want to change Managers at the end of the season. I do half think he's have got the bullet after the Leicester game if it wasnt for Covid
Yes really.

We have the players here, but we don't have a team, That's down to Smith, It don't matter who is out on that pitch, they will always stuggle under poor coaching. There's more to it than having a few good individuals hoping they will get you through. If Smith thinks bringing in the likes of Baston, Drinkwater or Reina is going to change things, he is in trouble.

No we don't have the players ,that is why we are close to going down. The recruitment in the January was worrying because obviously there was no money available for transfers even though it was obvious we were in trouble. I have a bad feeling about this. Owners need to understand what the cost of owning a Premiership football club is before they buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.