The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs") | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
As Saturday's game ticked into the 73rd minute our season was effectively done, Gills staring down the barrel of a third defeat in five that would finally snuff our faint playoff hopes. Then Dieng launched a howitzer from the sun that sailed past the hapless 'keeper before the aforementioned stopper turned provider for Mahoney's late deflected winner to send the 208 in the away end into paroxysms of delight. We live to fight another day.

Tonight On Friday we take on Crewe Alexandra at Priestfield, looking to build on that win by earning another vital three points against a side currently sat in fifth position. The Railwaymen have suffered their own dip in form in recent times, taking just four points from a possible last 15 following their 1-1 draw with Wimbledon at the weekend, their only win in that spell coming against relegation threatened Sutton United.

Gills have to look to start tonight on the front foot on Friday, all too often this season we've completely wasted the first 45 at Priestfield having failed to score at home during the first half in a staggering 14 of our 20 matches, a truly dreadful statistic especially for a side aiming to be in and around the promotion mix. Crewe will, however, be no pushovers despite their poor recent run, their away record is reasonable, seven wins, six draws and six defeats in their 21 away games, but with notable victories on the road against high-flyers Mansfield, Barrow and Stockport and only a 95th minute equaliser denying them the three points at Wrexham. Goal-scoring is also not an issue for them, with 67 goals to our 39, with Nevitt and the dangerous Baker-Richardson both in double figures and two other players on nine goals apiece.

Gills were buoyed at the weekend by the first appearance in a blue shirt of Josh Andrews, who made a brief cameo in place of Hawkins as Gills went on to seal the three points. Although he must be some way short of the fitness required to start, it's a real bonus to have someone available to come off the bench that managed 6 goals in his first 14 appearances at this level earlier in the season.

The head to head has the Alex leading by one win, 24 to 23 since the first meeting of the two back in 1935, although our first league meeting some 23 years later saw us run out 3-0 winners. For a decade-long period between 1991 and 2001, Crewe were a definite bogey side, running out winners nine times out of ten in that time. The tables have turned somewhat since then, with Gills victorious in nine meetings in the last 15, including the last time we scored four in a game, incredibly over THREE YEARS ago, running out 4-1 winners behind closed doors in January 2021. For the highlights we'll go with a solid 3-0 home win in March 2016, Dom Samuels, an oggy and Josh Wright giving us the three points that day.

Hopefully tonight Friday's attendance will be boosted following our late win last time out and the meaningless England friendly on the box won't dissuade a few more from attending. We've got to go all out for the win this evening on Friday afternoon so the season can carry on for another game at least and keep those playoff hopes alive.

Enjoy the game (on Friday...) and...

COYG!!!

Last edited:
Dammit, I thought it was tonight. Didn't even bother to check, hahahaha.

To the editmobile!
Just in case you didn’t realise Herr, it’s Easter this weekend, hence we are playing on Good Friday and Easter Monday!
(Don’t want you getting up for working unnecessarily on Friday) ;)

Disregarding the games I watch on iFollow, Crewe were the most impressive team I've seen us play this year in person.

Will be a very tough game.

My big match build up usually starts with Herr's posts. Am going to have to seriously pace myself to hit peak bedwetter mode by 3pm on Friday!

Bloody Hell Herr 😤. I came on the site to see if anyone else was watching the England display 🙄 and found this "match" thread. Thought I was going mad 😳

Glad it's you instead 😁

TBF I thought it was Easter next week and only realised when my wife bollocked me for not knowing if the garden bin collection day had changed.

Be watching this one from the pool (or beach) in Rhodes.
Second home game I’ve missed this season.
Let’s hope I have something to cheer about come 5o/c.
UTG