The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs")

Beat me to it 3x6.

I don’t think anyone would doubt that they gave their all last night, including big John who worked tirelessly. It was a far better performance than of late, yet we DID still look bereft of ideas up front and visibly deflated when conceding both goals. Against a mid table side pulling up no trees.
In my view Christwho put it perfectly above when he said we looked like 11 people trying to win a football match instead of a team. Almost like playground style football.

It may not be a relegation team yet, but I do think we are bordering on becoming one SS. Unless we have an upturn of fortunes soon I feel confidence could really suffer even more. You say “when the injured are back” yet it is no good having to rush them back too early and risk them picking up extra injuries. Keeping them out for further time. It does seem as we get one back another two drop at the moment.

How ironic- I have been against a winter break in football for many years, yet this season it would greatly benefit our lot. ☹️
Being out of all cup competitions gives us a chance to get players fit and give them recovery time.

A deeply depressing night for me.
It never looked like there was enough of us for a first team game.While I was happy with a few performances mainly Tucker, McKenzie and Phillips.Others were less convincing.I felt at half time we needed to change something.Akinde never looked like being quick enough and convincing enough to score although he gave it his all he is simply not good enough at this level.Carayol probably lacked fitness and will improve if he stays fit .Lee did get in some good positions. Impressed by Phillips.But unlike Cheltenham we seemed at times like Phillips was single handedly trying to link the team together. While Cheltenham played as a unit that for me was the biggest factor we were 11 individuals trying to win a match.Some trying too hard at times. Lintott was perhaps the most fish out of water there seems to be a decent player in there.He took up some good positions he looks like he will develop into a useful player.With the lack of subs perhaps he should have been put in defence and moved Jackson into a move advanced position. He has the ability to hurt teams but is starting to deeply to really do it .McKenzie is not a left sided player but did everything a manager could ask especially second half as Phillips faded he was our best player.
Felt for Evans last night Scally can't expect him to stay with what he has it is like a slow death sentence. The bench said it all. Sorry lads but it is simply too early for you. Thank you for trying one and all .But you simply are not good enough yet.Things need to improve fast .Cheltenham will stay up .Shrewsbury got a decent result last night we need to stay above them at the moment it doesn't seem likely. JANUARY CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH. But many others will have bigger budgets and I fear that it will change nothing .
Good effort but simply not enough.
Good report Chris but can you use some paragraphs please? I'm an old git and reading that hurt my eyes.
:-)

Ps. Well done for going btw.

Being out of all cup competitions gives us a chance to get players fit and give them recovery time.
Not sure that will make much difference Phil. Ok, we have next weekend off which will obviously help. But don’t leagues 1 and 2 have games scheduled for 3rd round weekend usually?

Not sure that will make much difference Phil. Ok, we have next weekend off which will obviously help. But don’t leagues 1 and 2 have games scheduled for 3rd round weekend usually?

They do, but if you're in the 3rd round, you end up having to reschedule them somewhere else midweek, so your schedule ends up getting heavier somewhere down the line.

I left with 20 minutes to go. Last night was piss poor.

I might not go Saturday as i think Pompey will do us for 5 goals.

I must disagree. We deserved something from the game (perhaps a win) but for very poor finishing.

But more interestingly, your comment is great anecdotal evidence as to why attendances are dropping. Like OSK keeps saying, people are dropping g off because we’re at the wrong end of the table - and your comment is testament to that.

I was looking at my attendance record, and out of the seven games I've been to this season, we've only won once, and that was Morecambe back in August... But I still enjoy going! There's not been a game I haven't enjoyed for some reason or another. Even MK Dons! Don't care who's chairman, never have. Not too bothered who's manager, as long as they still want to manage us. Just like the fact that after all that's happened in the past couple of years, I can still go and see my team play, and that's what keeps me happy in my footballing world 🙂

I was looking at my attendance record, and out of the seven games I've been to this season, we've only won once, and that was Morecambe back in August... But I still enjoy going! There's not been a game I haven't enjoyed for some reason or another. Even MK Dons! Don't care who's chairman, never have. Not too bothered who's manager, as long as they still want to manage us. Just like the fact that after all that's happened in the past couple of years, I can still go and see my team play, and that's what keeps me happy in my footballing world 🙂
Consider yourself lucky, my record is 6 games, 0 wins, 1 draw, 5 losses, 2 goals for 9 against. I still enjoy going but enjoyed last night's game probably more than the previous 5 - we actually played something that resembled football.

Please don't go Saturday lol
There aren't going to be many going if everyone stops going after they see a few defeats. I have been fortunate enough to see us win twice this season. But that definitely didn't help last night.
Just realised I have seen 3 wins I totally forgot the Doncaster win I was there but it was a total non event in football term.

Last edited:
I wasn't looking forward to last night, long injury list, expected protest etc but I enjoyed the way we played particularly first half and thought we were the better team. Better finishing from Akinde and two good saves from Lee shots together with a bit more composure from Lintott when Akinde set him up and we'd have won that. Can't see what others are complaining about, apart from the result obviously

There aren't going to be many going if everyone stops going after they see a few defeats. I have been fortunate enough to see us win twice this season. But that definitely didn't help last night.

Our results won't put me off going. Never have in the past, and we've been worse than this lol

I left with 20 minutes to go. Last night was piss poor.

Your comment surprised me WX so I've thought about it a lot today. I actually thought we were OK last night which is why I was surprised to read your comment.

Then I thought about the game and the "crowds" reaction to the defeat. There was little reaction, no frustration shown to the team , no-one got on the players backs. Thats a good thing right ?

It is because we can see they are kids or semi fit and it's not their fault. They are giving 100%

It's not good that the crowd seem resigned to defeat, it was expected and it happened. There was no passion.

Has the crowd given up ?

Let's see Saturday when a large and noisy away following might wake the home crowd up.

Last edited:
Interesting post on Facebook from someone with a source in the club.

"Attendance was 2,283 btw, which includes staff, hospitality and press. Bums on seats was 2,020"

People can choose to believe it or not. I offer no view on its credibility. It was clearly low but I'm a little surprised it was that low.

Let's just assume its accurate for point of discussion.

That cannot be sustainable.

Obviously a bigger gate on Saturday due to large away following. Interesting to see what the Gills fans number will be.

Maybe ifollow on a Tuesday needs to be canned.

Our results won't put me off going. Never have in the past, and we've been worse than this lol
I try to just enjoy the match regardless it is often difficult to br honest. But not going regularly now mean the occasion can be enjoyed more meeting friends etc regardless of the game.That is what is worrying about the continuing decline in crowds .

"Attendance was 2,283 btw, which includes staff, hospitality and press. Bums on seats was 2,020"

People can choose to believe it or not. I offer no view on its credibility. It was clearly low but I'm a little surprised it was that low.

Obviously a bigger gate on Saturday due to large away following. Interesting to see what the Gills fans number will be.

Declared as 3115 on the BBC for "comparison".

Edit: But Christ on a bike if those figures are accurate...just 2000 fans...😱

Last edited:

Here’s the full quote, it certainly didn’t look like over 3K were in there to me, they must be counting all the 1900 odd season ticket holders even though half didn’t bother going:

Medway and Gordon Road stand were largely empty other than the central sections. Rainham End was better but by no means full. Town end obviously was empty and that holds over 3K alone.