The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs")

That didn't look like Evans saying goodbye at the end. No deal done yet my thoughts. Might change in next few days though.

I was going to ask what his reaction was.

Thing is, if he’s staying, I’d prefer him and PS to front up and say it. And mean it. “All hands to the pumps” kind of stirring speech. Give us an outline of what we can do over the coming month and in January. If we have to carry on with the current squad, fine. Or can we get anyone else in or out? Let us know. How are the injuries going? Anyone else back soon? etc.

Indeed and somehow there are still 4 teams below us. Only a matter of time though.
As with this stage last season we seem to have played 1 or 2 games more than most of the teams around us, so we could well be within the drop zone once things are levelled up.
Let’s hope the 10 day break after the Portsmouth match enables us to get some more injured players back.

We actually played some decent passing football for a change and switched play between the wings to some effect. Unfortunately down the right side you saw Lintott's lack of experience and belief meaning we were not as threatening as we could have been from some pretty good situations. We actually had some decent chances. If we can get some players back from injury, I think we have a decent chance to fight our way out of relegation trouble.

But nothing up front, how many real chances have we made and how many saves has Flinders had to make. Sorry pathetic.
That's a really harsh and strange thing to say, it was far from pathetic. Considering the team we had out, mainly reserves and youngsters, I expected to lose and be outclassed but thought it was a really good performance. The BBC stats state we had the greater possession and if Akninde had his finishing boots on would have had 2 goals, same can be said of Lee. Their 1st goal came out of nothing and was totally against the run of play where we were dominating at the time, but unfortunately things just aren't going for us at the moment. As most fans were saying as we filed out of the ground, we deserved at least a point.

We actually played some decent passing football for a change and switched play between the wings to some effect. Unfortunately down the right side you saw Lintott's lack of experience and belief meaning we were not as threatening as we could have been from some pretty good situations. We actually had some decent chances. If we can get some players back from injury, I think we have a decent chance to fight our way out of relegation trouble.

I agree we did play some decent football at times. Much less of the aimless hoof. Perhaps the lack of Oliver is reducing the punt it up to him approach. I enjoyed the football we tried to play.

January is decisive now. Do we receive offers for Tucker, Dempsey and maybe even Oliver ? How bad do we need the cash.

A fully fit XI should pull clear. Last night's team look a relegation outfit despite their efforts.

Can we add anyone in January ? We desperately need a Cody or similar type player who would finish the chances created last night

Interesting January ahead.

A deeply depressing night for me.
It never looked like there was enough of us fans for a first team game.
While I was happy with a few performances mainly Tucker, McKenzie and Phillips.Others were less convincing.
I felt at half time we needed to change something.Akinde never looked like being quick enough and convincing enough to score although he gave it his all he is simply not good enough at this level.Carayol probably lacked fitness and will improve if he stays fit .Lee did get in some good positions. Impressed by Phillips.
But unlike Cheltenham we seemed at times like Phillips was single handedly trying to link the team together. While Cheltenham played as a unit that for me was the biggest factor we were 11 individuals trying to win a match.
Some trying too hard at times. Lintott was perhaps the most fish out of water there seems to be a decent player in there.He took up some good positions he looks like he will develop into a useful player.With the lack of subs perhaps he should have been put in defence and moved Jackson into a move advanced position. He has the ability to hurt teams but is starting to deeply to really do it.
McKenzie is not a left sided player but did everything a manager could ask especially second half as Phillips faded he was our best player.

Felt for Evans last night Scally can't expect him to stay with what he has it is like a slow death sentence. The bench said it all. Sorry lads but it is simply too early for you. Thank you for trying one and all .But you simply are not good enough yet.Things need to improve fast .Cheltenham will stay up .Shrewsbury got a decent result last night we need to stay above them at the moment it doesn't seem likely. JANUARY CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH. But many others will have bigger budgets and I fear that it will change nothing .
Good effort but simply not enough.

Last edited:
Half full?
Half empty?
I thought we played well given the circumstances and deserved something from the game.
All is not doom and gloom in my opinion.
I’ve seen a few relegation teams over the years and this doesn’t look like one.

There is some rubbish in the league, none of the teams below won. There is a clear divide in the league

I agree we did play some decent football at times. Much less of the aimless hoof. Perhaps the lack of Oliver is reducing the punt it up to him approach. I enjoyed the football we tried to play.

January is decisive now. Do we receive offers for Tucker, Dempsey and maybe even Oliver ? How bad do we need the cash.

A fully fit XI should pull clear. Last night's team look a relegation outfit despite their efforts.

Can we add anyone in January ? We desperately need a Cody or similar type player who would finish the chances created last night

unfortunately it’s the Cody type player that’s the most expensive

Half full?
Half empty?
I thought we played well given the circumstances and deserved something from the game.
All is not doom and gloom in my opinion.
I’ve seen a few relegation teams over the years and this doesn’t look like one.
This is now with Evans in charge if we haven't got the funds to change things and lose the manager we are in deep trouble. Scally appears to be saying we have two years of this non Embargo. No we are not yet a relegation team but it us almost like we are watching the beginnings of one.Cheltenham are at best a mid table side but they were two goals in front at the end we were at home .At best we are getting draws it is simply not enough and it will get worse if Evans leaves in the next ten days or so.

We’ll agree to disagree mate.
These lads gave everything they had last night.
I’ve seen and played in relegation teams and I don’t think that this is one.
When the injured are back, we’ll be fine in my opinion.
If it’s your nature to see it as all doom and gloom then that’s fine too.

It was nice watching us try and build the play up. Annoyingly, it’s probably the first time we’ve played in a way that might have suited Kelman.

I left with 20 minutes to go. Last night was piss poor.

I might not go Saturday as i think Pompey will do us for 5 goals.

It was nice watching us try and build the play up. Annoyingly, it’s probably the first time we’ve played in a way that might have suited Kelman.
Phillips does appear to make us more of a unit he and Carayol are vital I believe.His fitness I would agree could hold the key don't have that and we are really up against it.At least we offered something and I would agree we were a little unlucky. But you make your own luck and there doesn't appear to be enough players willing or being told to gamble and get that chance. Lintott to his credit was one who did I think the lad has a few goals in him for a defensive player. We have to do significantly better to turn what draws we get into wins .A draw at home to Cheltenham isn't enough unfortunately.

And still lost 2 nil at home to a mid table team.

Beat me to it 3x6.

I don’t think anyone would doubt that they gave their all last night, including big John who worked tirelessly. It was a far better performance than of late, yet we DID still look bereft of ideas up front and visibly deflated when conceding both goals. Against a mid table side pulling up no trees.
In my view Christwho put it perfectly above when he said we looked like 11 people trying to win a football match instead of a team. Almost like playground style football.
We’ll agree to disagree mate.
These lads gave everything they had last night.
I’ve seen and played in relegation teams and I don’t think that this is one.
When the injured are back, we’ll be fine in my opinion.
If it’s your nature to see it as all doom and gloom then that’s fine too.

It may not be a relegation team yet, but I do think we are bordering on becoming one SS. Unless we have an upturn of fortunes soon I feel confidence could really suffer even more. You say “when the injured are back” yet it is no good having to rush them back too early and risk them picking up extra injuries. Keeping them out for further time. It does seem as we get one back another two drop at the moment.

How ironic- I have been against a winter break in football for many years, yet this season it would greatly benefit our lot. ☹️