The New Spurs..... | Page 5 | Vital Football

The New Spurs.....

I can't see any downside to the players wearing a uniform even if you harbour doubts about there being any upside.

My gut feeling is that there is something in it. It's like when you see a complete stranger in a Spurs shirt: you immediately feel some sort of connection, a bonding of sorts. Now you don't know the person from Adam and they may be a complete prick (or prickess) but the shirt is part of the uniform and it creates a social/emotional tie to someone who is otherwise just a bloke or blokess walking up the street.

But our players know each other inside out whatever they are wearing. Surely this is more about the outsiders perception of the team.

Gary I'm with you chum
What's the down side really
What turning up for every game like it's a cup final why not.
Why not have the players focused on their "job" from getting dressed until they get off the coach at the end of the day.

Right so as I'm a fitness coach and part time football coach I have spoken to 6 coach colleagues.

5 Male, 1 Female. Two were/are international players in Rugby and hockey.

Not one of them think wearing a suit would make any difference to team bonding or team success. Everyone said they prefer wearing the sports coaching track suits because they are more comfortable and represent the same thing a suit would do.

As I have done some strength and conditioning with some of the students this evening I asked another 6 people the same question. 4 girls and two boys aged 17/18.

All of them want to be a sports professional of some sort. Hockey is massive here, as is cricket.

Only one said they would want to wear a suit. I asked him why, and it was purely for a vanity reason. Nothing to do with team bonding, winning mentality. Just pure ego.

The others again said they prefer the training gear or actual kit as they are more comfortable and are designed for what they are training for.

As I said "a load of bollocks ", mate.

Reminds me of a bloke I know who was having trouble with marital relations with his wife ….
he spent a lot of time having tests as to why he couldn’t behave in a manly way in the bedroom , but in the end he had had enough , and went out a bought the most expensive suit he could afford .
Next time the doctor saw him , he asked him what the idea of an expensive suit was …. Simple , said the man , if I’m going to be impotent, I’m going to look impotent ..

I’m not saying our great club is going to be impotent , but we are going to be important.
That made me chuckle lol!

Right so as I'm a fitness coach and part time football coach I have spoken to 6 coach colleagues.

Not one of them think wearing a suit would make any difference to team bonding or team success. Everyone said they prefer wearing the sports coaching track suits because they are more comfortable and represent the same thing a suit would do.

As I have done some strength and conditioning with some of the students this evening I asked another 6 people the same question. 4 girls and two boys aged 17/18.

All of them want to be a sports professional of some sort. Hockey is massive here, as is cricket.

Only one said they would want to wear a suit. I asked him why, and it was purely for a vanity reason. Nothing to do with team bonding, winning mentality. Just pure ego.

The others again said they prefer the training gear or actual kit as they are more comfortable and are designed for what they are training for.

If I understand correctly, it's not about how the players feel but more to do with outside perception

As I said, it's not for the players , its about the perception to outsiders. I would expect most on the outside to see straight through it for what it is .

So purely for an egotistical point of view?
I get why you would say that, but the reality is the mindset of the club needs to change IMO. I'm not an expert in human behaviour, but I can only assume that Paratici has good reasons for doing this.
It may even be simply install discipline, but I trust them.

I get why you would say that, but the reality is the mindset of the club needs to change IMO. I'm not an expert in human behaviour, but I can only assume that Paratici has good reasons for doing this.
It may even be simply install discipline, but I trust them.

As me and Nick have said we don't care what they wear. But the players wearing a suit won't be the difference between us winning or not.

If anything wearing a suit for hours on a bus is moronic when you can wear much more comfortable clothing.

just my two penneth.
I am not sure its a bit of an outdated ideal.
All seems a bit Ron Manager to me.

The truth is its probably a commercial decision. Hugo Boss or whoever makes the suits. Hublot watches.
Money. Money. Money.

Dress it up as much as you like.

Just out of interest, RD, how did you pose the question? Context can often guide a person's response.

"Oi! Lads and lasses, can I borrow you for a minute? There's a few nerds on the Spurs forum I participate in and they reckon the players' wearing suits improves team bonding and performance. What a load of bollox, eh. Twats!"

"Tossers! It's a load of bollox RD."

More importantly than the suits themselves though it does show that the whole operation - on and off the field - is being professionalised.

I'm sure you picked up on this given that it's a key area of your profession but Spurs recently signed a four-year with Science in Sport (SiS) as the official performance solutions partner. In particular the company will be working with Spurs to shape the squad's nutritional strategy.

All these little incrememental changes, which can seem trivial in themselves, collectively can add to the team's performance.

As me and Nick have said we don't care what they wear. But the players wearing a suit won't be the difference between us winning or not.

If anything wearing a suit for hours on a bus is moronic when you can wear much more comfortable clothing.

This is why I've been asking questions about the bus. Do they get changed on the bus or crease up their shirts and trousers ?

Maybe they don't want them to be comfortable, I don't know. It's very easy when you are on the outside looking in to draw conclusions, personally I would rather keep my powder dry till I know the rational

Just out of interest, RD, how did you pose the question? Context can often guide a person's response.

"Oi! Lads and lasses, can I borrow you for a minute? There's a few nerds on the Spurs forum I participate in and they reckon the players' wearing suits improves team bonding and performance. What a load of bollox, eh. Twats!"

"Tossers! It's a load of bollox RD."

More importantly than the suits themselves though it does show that the whole operation - on and off the field - is being professionalised.

I'm sure you picked up on this given that it's a key area of your profession but Spurs recently signed a four-year with Science in Sport (SiS) as the official performance solutions partner. In particular the company will be working with Spurs to shape the squad's nutritional strategy.

All these little incrememental changes, which can seem trivial in themselves, collectively can add to the team's performance.

Each kid has their own station. Which has numerous pieces of equipment on. It was a covid safety measure which we have kept as it works well.

As today was strength and conditioning day it's a slower pace. So easy to chat. I chat loads of random crap with them. I didn't mention here. I said I read an article about Spurs.

Then just asked them what their opinion is on professional athletes wearing suits to games or events and would it have any impact on them for their teams results and morale.

I walk around to each station throughout the training session. So I don't shout out everything on a microphone. Lol

The coaches I WhatsApp in the group.

Nutritional advice from the right people will certainly help a player's performance.