The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread

Don't lose.

They still have a game in hand, so they probably think it's in their hands to go above us.

This is a massive game, glad we're at home. An early goal or two and we'll run away with it, despite the fact we'll probably concede at least 2.

A few of my non-Villa friends have said that if we beat Spurs on Sunday, then CL is in the bag. Don't know about that, there's a few twists and turns to come yet.

Yes. Just as much as a loss doesn’t mean it’s over, a win doesn’t mean it’s in the bag. It’s still the first week in March. If this match was start of May it might be different.

Last edited:
What a week coming up.

Great time to be a Villa fan. Just brilliant.

I'm not sure CL qualification depends solely on this result. 71 points would give you 4th place for the last 5 seasons so it's 5 wins and a draw from the last 11 games for us.

A win though would be absolutley massive.
I’m out later at a Cheltenham preview night - along with some tips that never win, I’m looking forward to talking about the next few games with my mate along with wearing my Villa pin badge with pride, you always get the comments - Villa are doing well aren’t they - that Emery is a quality manger. Sorted going to this game immediately after going to the Man U game - enjoyed that day and the match immensely, result apart. Hoping to see a Man C type performance. After 3 wins and that late winner last weekend we should be bouncing. BTTS looks a certainty along with Watkins scoring. Great times :bounce:

I’m out later at a Cheltenham preview night - along with some tips that never win, I’m looking forward to talking about the next few games with my mate along with wearing my Villa pin badge with pride, you always get the comments - Villa are doing well aren’t they - that Emery is a quality manger. Sorted going to this game immediately after going to the Man U game - enjoyed that day and the match immensely, result apart. Hoping to see a Man C type performance. After 3 wins and that late winner last weekend we should be bouncing. BTTS looks a certainty along with Watkins scoring. Great times :bounce:
I've got a tip.

Constitution Hill won't win.

Seriously , there will be a good Cheltenham thread in Witton Lane next week.

Yes. Just as much as a loss doesn’t mean it’s over, a win doesn’t mean it’s in the bag. It’s still the first week in March. If this match was start of May it might be different.
I agree to a point but you have to "crack" the spirit of the rivals around you so they give up the fight, it happens at some point at the top and the bottom.
When we went for the league in 81 we and Ipswitch eventually cracked Liverpool and made it a two-horse race. Teams eventually drop by the wayside as the season goes on.
The media have already done that with us and dismissed us for the top 3 even though we are only 3 points off Arsenal and have to play them again.

I agree to a point but you have to "crack" the spirit of the rivals around you so they give up the fight, it happens at some point at the top and the bottom.
When we went for the league in 81 we and Ipswitch eventually cracked Liverpool and made it a two-horse race. Teams eventually drop by the wayside as the season goes on.
The media have already done that with us and dismissed us for the top 3 even though we are only 3 points off Arsenal and have to play them again.
Although Ipswich beat us with three games to go and we didn't crack.

Do you want to bet against us ?

Although Ipswich beat us with three games to go and we didn't crack.

Do you want to bet against us ?
Yes, I mean if things go to plan (for Sky)Man City and Liverpool will break away leaving Arsenal there for the taking by us. If things go to plan for Unai we win 10 games and the top 3 take points off each other and draw a few games. we then nip in and win it.
100 to 1 shot but it's possible, very unlikely but so was Leicester, the big difference is we are under the radar and under no pressure.

This is a one-game-at-a-time season for us, things change every week

Play somewhere near our best and we’ll beat this lot. They’ve been decent this season under the media’s new hero but on our day we’re superior so nothing to fear. I’d rather be in our position with a 5 point cushion. If we win it, they’ve got a mammoth job overtaking us and they’ll know it, so the pressure is all on them. What a week though…a trip for Junior and I to Ajax from Weds, the game on Sunday and the starter tonight at the Alex Theatre in brum listening to Saunders, Dublin, Merson and Andy Townsend talking about their days at the Villa. Questionable punditry at times… but loved them all in a Villa shirt! Seven days following the claret n blue don’t get much better than this!

Lose this and the London media will destroy us, then the character of the players(and some of our fans) will be tested to the limit. This is how teams crack, so winning is vital

Last edited:
i watched them v Palace on Saturday. It really reminded me of our game there when we first got promoted , particularly the 2nd half when Palace were camped on their 18 yard line. The inevitable goals came as no real surprise. We can't give the likes of Maddison time to pick passes off they'll be looking to go over the top to Son / Johnson etc

Play somewhere near our best and we’ll beat this lot. They’ve been decent this season under the media’s new hero but on our day we’re superior so nothing to fear. I’d rather be in our position with a 5 point cushion. If we win it, they’ve got a mammoth job overtaking us and they’ll know it, so the pressure is all on them. What a week though…a trip for Junior and I to Ajax from Weds, the game on Sunday and the starter tonight at the Alex Theatre in brum listening to Saunders, Dublin, Merson and Andy Townsend talking about their days at the Villa. Questionable punditry at times… but loved them all in a Villa shirt! Seven days following the claret n blue don’t get much better than this!
What a week indeed - enjoy

Lose this and the London media will destroy us, then the character of the players(and some of our fans) will be tested to the limit. This is how teams crack, so winning is vital
Tbf we lost against United and the spin in the media was just as frenzied, Utd were back and we were fading apparently. But we didn’t crack and have won 3 on the spin since. And winning isn’t vital imho…yes it would be huge but drawing wouldn’t be a bad result.

Tbf we lost against United and the spin in the media was just as frenzied, Utd were back and we were fading apparently. But we didn’t crack and have won 3 on the spin since. And winning isn’t vital imho…yes it would be huge but drawing wouldn’t be a bad result.
We have to pick up and average 2 points a game to keep this run-up, so winning one draw one is ok but eventually we'll lose a few so we have to win more and cut the draws.
However, should we be 2 down and come back to draw it is a good result but Visa versa it is a bad one. The result is the same 1 point but the mental state of players and fans is totally opposite.

We have to pick up and average 2 points a game to keep this run-up, so winning one draw one is ok but eventually we'll lose a few so we have to win more and cut the draws.
However, should we be 2 down and come back to draw it is a good result but Visa versa it is a bad one. The result is the same 1 point but the mental state of players and fans is totally opposite.
I'm not so sure . 17 points from 11 games would see us 4th based on the last 5 seasons

I'm hoping this race ends up being meaningless and 5th gets Champions League too. That way we only have to finish above Manure.

I'm not so sure . 17 points from 11 games would see us 4th based on the last 5 seasons
I just noticed Newcastle only won 1 of their last 5 last season and it was a two-horse race for longer, there are 5 clubs up there this season and none have really cracked yet despite the media making it a 3 horse race. We don't want to be that 5th club

But that would ruin Unai's 2ppg average.

Last seasons last 11 games point totals:
Citeh 28pts, Plop 25, Yanited 25, Saudi 21, Villa 23, Arse 18

Think we need a few more personally - we don't want to do an "Arse" :slap: .