The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread | Vital Football

The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread

We're talking about two pretty evenly matched teams and, as things stand, this looks like the battle for fourth place.

Shame it’s a Sunday at 1pm but should be an entertaining game, can’t wait for it. Shootout for 4th pretty much, can’t see us losing the gap if we win.

So, a full strength Spurs minus Richarlison (maybe).

It pretty much comes down to this game and if we have aspirations as a club, we have to take opportunities like this one.

Breaking it down, Spurs track record of qualification for the CL is 50/50 over the last 10 years but they do have a reputation of bottling the big occasion. Villa on the other hand, have absolutely zero track record but we're currently 5 points clear of them, at home and Unai has 20 more points than Spurs over his full tenure and a 2ppg average.

Forrest, Fulham and Luton results have lead us to this point. Can we keep the momentum and more or less clinch the deal Sunday? I'm going for a win in the EROD, but it'll be another game where I'll be watching from behind the sofa.

It's Monday, and I'm already feeling ill. This is going to be a tough week.

Anyone noticed people hardly ever do their own suggested line-ups anymore? Everyone's just like "Unai's got this".
Team nearly picks itself and when you keep winning, none of us are particularly looking for change. Debate over Digne/Moreno still and Konsa's best position for the team (he's better than Cash and Carlos). Nobody debates the midfield or forward line anymore.

I genuinely think that if win this, we will be in the battle for the top 3.

City won the league last season with 89 points we can still get 88. 2 points a game gives us 77 ish which is realistic and might help us to 3rd,
It's all about the last 11 games if we didn't have to play the top 3 I'd be more optimistic, on the other hand, beat them and its a 6 pointer

What a week coming up.

Great time to be a Villa fan. Just brilliant.

I'm not sure CL qualification depends solely on this result. 71 points would give you 4th place for the last 5 seasons so it's 5 wins and a draw from the last 11 games for us.

A win though would be absolutely massive.
Doesn't depend on this game, but we shouldn't be giving Spuds any encouragement or momentum. Win Sunday and their heads go, they have 12 games left and probably need a minimum of 22 points - tough ask but 5 teams achieved that last season including us who got 26 points :wahey:

Shame it’s a Sunday at 1pm but should be an entertaining game, can’t wait for it. Shootout for 4th pretty much, can’t see us losing the gap if we win.
It's a crap KO time but what can you do, win the game and we have the rest of Sunday to celebrate and start dreaming. We can also sit back and watch the top2 kick lumps out of each other.

Regardless of result still loads to play for after Sunday. Not a must win at all and saying so suggests we should give up as its all over when we will still be more than right in there.
It will ebb and flow .
3 games ago there were prophecies of doom because we lost a 'must win' v Manure . Well, those 3 games later we are 11 points ahead .

Spurs fans seem to be mostly indulging in wank fantasies that Romero is going to end Matty Cash's career to get revenge for him injuring Bentancur in November and Doherty last season.

One of the biggest headlosses I've seen from a fanbase. Though still not as bad as Brentford fans absolutely losing it at Ollie pointing at one bloke.

For me Luton was a crossroads match. Had we lost that from being 2-0 up I would have concluded that top 4 would be very unlikely. Instead we showed the resolve and bottle to go and win it. This speaks volumes for our top 4 credentials.

We go into this one as favourites.

Don't lose.

They still have a game in hand, so they probably think it's in their hands to go above us.

This is a massive game, glad we're at home. An early goal or two and we'll run away with it, despite the fact we'll probably concede at least 2.

A few of my non-Villa friends have said that if we beat Spurs on Sunday, then CL is in the bag. Don't know about that, there's a few twists and turns to come yet.