The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

All the way through our bad spell, I kept saying that the midfield didn't look right. All of a sudden with Marv in and Ross out, we look back to our best.

He's not the greatest on the ball but as a pure defensive midfielder he's excellent. In games against teams where we're not going to see as much of the ball he has to play. Games where we're more likely to be dominant in possession then in comes Doug. Simple stuff really.

As mentioned by others, he’s balanced our midfield and freed John McGinn to be more of a threat further up the pitch. He makes the odd mistake but,generally, has been a major reason for taking pressure off the defence.
A player in the style of Kante and Ndidi.
Great finish to the season for him.

He's not the greatest on the ball but as a pure defensive midfielder he's excellent. In games against teams where we're not going to see as much of the ball he has to play. Games where we're more likely to be dominant in possession then in comes Doug. Simple stuff really.

:agree:

Needed more than a like because to me it’s that obvious. Man City away and you might go both Luiz and Marv.

He does that thing which is more noticeable with lefties where he turns into trouble a little too often for my liking, he does it at least one every game. If he cuts that out, he’s as reliable as any defensive midfielder in the league.

shame it took them so long to realise Luiz isn't a decent DM and Nakamba was the better option. He's looked better in all his games/cameos and the change should of been made much earlier in the campaign by the management . they have stumbled across a solution.

So no credit then ?

shame it took them so long to realise Luiz isn't a decent DM and Nakamba was the better option. He's looked better in all his games/cameos and the change should of been made much earlier in the campaign by the management . they have stumbled across a solution.
Player comes into the team and under-performs: The manager is useless
Player comes into the team and does well: The manager is useless

started 9 league games,
never appeared in more than two games in a row -
at 27 I'd think he'd be moving on if he wants to play regularly as he doesn't seem to be fancied.

odd as he's done OK when he has had a chance

I know what you mean, said differently, he offers nothing in attack and is a brilliant defensive player. He actually is a decent passer and has some nice little skill with the ball. Its when he crosses the halfway line he ceases to be useful.

Definitely, very underutilized this season and probably could have helped us retain some points had he even been used just as a sub.

In fairness to Marv, he's done this a few times; come in to the team and look great for a couple of games only to go anonymous in the next game.

I'm not convinced that he is the solution just yet. If I was Dean Smith, I don't think I'd want my job relying on Marv doing the business for us 38 games in a row.

Think DS tends to stick with a player for a period to see how he pans out, rather than chopping and changing. Did it with Luiz. Probably thinks Luiz isn't 100% the answer hence Nakamba now gets a go. Probably part of planning for next year.

Think DS tends to stick with a player for a period to see how he pans out, rather than chopping and changing. Did it with Luiz. Probably thinks Luiz isn't 100% the answer hence Nakamba now gets a go. Probably part of planning for next year.

I don't think Luiz is a natural DM and I'd say Marv is yet to prove himself reliable at this level. If I was Smith, I'd want someone else in.

Funny you go back to the start of this thread how everyone seemed to rate him highly including me, I've never wavered I still think he's a good player, neat tidy keeps the ball isn't afraid to have it and nicks it away very well. His passing is right up there over 80% nearer 90 in most games, yet people say he can't pass etc.
Some have changed their minds more than they change their pants.

I do however think Douglas Luiz is a level above and I won't waver on that either

Funny you go back to the start of this thread how everyone seemed to rate him highly including me, I've never wavered I still think he's a good player, neat tidy keeps the ball isn't afraid to have it and nicks it away very well. His passing is right up there over 80% nearer 90 in most games, yet people say he can't pass etc.
Some have changed their minds more than they change their pants.

I do however think Douglas Luiz is a level above and I won't waver on that either

He has a limited range of passing though. If he's making easy 5-10 yard passes its ok and like Ashley Westwood he will have a high completion rate, but he isn't a player who can start pinging 20-30 yard balls about like Dougie can. He's a decent squad player to keep for certain situations but I think some are getting carried away that he's going to be a permanent fixture in the starting line up. I'd guess we'll see Dougie back in there for the first game of next season and in better form, unless we've snapped up someone else for the role.