The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

He has a limited range of passing though. If he's making easy 5-10 yard passes its ok and like Ashley Westwood he will have a high completion rate, but he isn't a player who can start pinging 20-30 yard balls about like Dougie can. He's a decent squad player to keep for certain situations but I think some are getting carried away that he's going to be a permanent fixture in the starting line up. I'd guess we'll see Dougie back in there for the first game of next season and in better form, unless we've snapped up someone else for the role.
Personally, I doubt we'll be snapping up anyone better than a current Brazil starter. Anyone better than Luiz is already at a bigger club than us.
Watch Marv closer he has a decent range of passing, as good as any of our squad. He's a better passer than McGinn that's for sure.

Personally, I doubt we'll be snapping up anyone better than a current Brazil starter. Anyone better than Luiz is already at a bigger club than us.
Watch Marv closer he has a decent range of passing, as good as any of our squad. He's a better passer than McGinn that's for sure.

I do watch him thats why he's had me shouting at my TV a few times this season. 80/90% of the time he plays it short and simple, which is why his stats look so high. Its the occasions he tries to be more adventurous when he picks out an opposition player. And yes McGinn has certainly got a bad habit of giving it away himself.
Since Deano has been here he's liked a ball player in that position, he did the same at Brentford. I just cant see him changing his philosophy and going with a destroyer on a regular basis.

He has a limited range of passing though. If he's making easy 5-10 yard passes its ok and like Ashley Westwood he will have a high completion rate, but he isn't a player who can start pinging 20-30 yard balls about like Dougie can. He's a decent squad player to keep for certain situations but I think some are getting carried away that he's going to be a permanent fixture in the starting line up. I'd guess we'll see Dougie back in there for the first game of next season and in better form, unless we've snapped up someone else for the role.

Not every player in the team needs to ping the hollywood balls either though. Here's something about Marv vs. Hourihane say, Hourihane was forever trying the hollywood balls and I'd say he has a 5% completion on passes like that. Marv gets his head up, see's someone in space and plays it. Football is a simple game, playing simple football is hard. Some players just will not do the simple thing when its presented to them. I like Marv because he's the only man in midfield who has that type of consistency.

The difference between Marv and Westwood is Marv isnt in there trying to be a playmaker either. Westwood would just recycle the ball and keep it moving but it wouldnt really go anywhere. Marv wins it, lays it off and his job is done. He doesnt go back looking for it unless the player is in trouble. He trusts others to advance the ball because thats not his job.

Re: V57s point, McGinn is a funny old player, he is a terrible short passer but his long passes must have a near 90% completion rate.

McGinn does give the ball away too much but he rarely just goes for the simple pass. He normally tries to do something with the ball, a shot, a long pass, through ball, surge forward. High risk, high reward. Its why he'd not really fit in with the "top" teams.

Not every player in the team needs to ping the hollywood balls either though. Here's something about Marv vs. Hourihane say, Hourihane was forever trying the hollywood balls and I'd say he has a 5% completion on passes like that. Marv gets his head up, see's someone in space and plays it. Football is a simple game, playing simple football is hard. Some players just will not do the simple thing when its presented to them. I like Marv because he's the only man in midfield who has that type of consistency.

The difference between Marv and Westwood is Marv isnt in there trying to be a playmaker either. Westwood would just recycle the ball and keep it moving but it wouldnt really go anywhere. Marv wins it, lays it off and his job is done. He doesnt go back looking for it unless the player is in trouble. He trusts others to advance the ball because thats not his job.

Re: V57s point, McGinn is a funny old player, he is a terrible short passer but his long passes must have a near 90% completion rate.

I'm not saying he's a terrible player and that we should bin him off, just that he's limited in what he can do and is a squad player at best. As mentioned above Deano seems to like someone in that role with a better range of passing, I'd guess that's why Marvins game time has been so limited.
Personally I'd like another CM as think we need more options to change things up when players hit a bad patch of form. We've all been complaining over the last few months that our midfield doesnt impose itself on games.

Overheard in the U18 Cup Final "look for the space" on multiple occasions and broadly that is what the U18's did. We are aligning up and down the teams a seamless transition in the way that we play, so we are currently underperforming at first team level. This simple and effective football will become the standard moving forward and players will have the philosophy ingrained within their collective psych.

When you watch Citeh play, their speed of thought and resultant passing will be where we are aiming.

PS still buzzing about the U18's performance - big statement right there :utv:

I'm not saying he's a terrible player and that we should bin him off, just that he's limited in what he can do and is a squad player at best. As mentioned above Deano seems to like someone in that role with a better range of passing, I'd guess that's why Marvins game time has been so limited.
Personally I'd like another CM as think we need more options to change things up when players hit a bad patch of form. We've all been complaining over the last few months that our midfield doesnt impose itself on games.

It'll be very interesting to see what our business is in the summer. To be fair to Luiz I personally think his form has suffered because his role isnt the same. We're lining up with 2 man central midfield and not a 3 man midfield like last season. I feel like thats why Luiz hasnt performed. He has to work harder defensively and thats not his game in the way that it is for Marv.

It would be really interesting to see how some of the team performs when they dont have to carry the likes of Barkley.

As much as I like Marv he probably isnt the long term solution. Dean wants to play progressive football and that means having a larger share of possession and playing more in the opposition half. So Marv will likely be confined to games against the plastic 6 and maybe some away days.

And if we want to progress thats probably how it should be anyway.

McGinn does give the ball away too much but he rarely just goes for the simple pass. He normally tries to do something with the ball, a shot, a long pass, through ball, surge forward. High risk, high reward. Its why he'd not really fit in with the "top" teams.
Agreed. But I suppose it's better than our midfield of a few years ago with Westwood, Cleverly and others who got a nosebleed if they entered the final third of the pitch and thought that going sideways was adventurous....

I'd disagree with that to a degree, he does give away a lot of simple passes too. He has a fantastic ability to hit his man with a crossfield ball 90% of the time. There was even a video done about it. He is an enigma. This was based on early last season however for McGinn he hasnt changed too much.

As much as I like Marv he probably isnt the long term solution. Dean wants to play progressive football and that means having a larger share of possession and playing more in the opposition half. So Marv will likely be confined to games against the plastic 6 and maybe some away days.

And if we want to progress thats probably how it should be anyway.
Not being the solution was what was often said about Des Bremner in his first season at Villa and look what happened in his second season. Not saying that Marv is the answer but he is improving and moving in the right direction

Marv wins it, lays it off and his job is done. He doesnt go back looking for it unless the player is in trouble. He trusts others to advance the ball because thats not his job.

Best description of him. Regardless of the opposition we need Marv in there to do his job which is to intercept, close players down, and tackle. All of which he does the best in the team. With him the other attack-minded players can get on with focusing on creating chances without having to fear about losing the ball and facing opposition pressure. Stats show that Marv is the least dispossessed player per game out of all of our midfielders. The only way Marv can be replaced by anyone else in the DM role is if we can find a Kante or Fernandinho type DM who can defend really well and be equally or a little helpful at the very least when attacking.

Overheard in the U18 Cup Final "look for the space" on multiple occasions and broadly that is what the U18's did. We are aligning up and down the teams a seamless transition in the way that we play, so we are currently underperforming at first team level. This simple and effective football will become the standard moving forward and players will have the philosophy ingrained within their collective psych.

When you watch Citeh play, their speed of thought and resultant passing will be where we are aiming.

PS still buzzing about the U18's performance - big statement right there :utv:

The irony is that the first team needs to learn from the U18s on how to play effective football.

Embarrassing play acting today. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I am falling out of love with football because of pathetic shite like that.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so pathetic.

I think he did that purposely to get him sent off assuming perhaps we could get back into the game with equal men on both sides. However, I don't think we would have come back if that had happened.