The Lovre Kalinić Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Lovre Kalinić Thread

Did anyone else notice that in the first half of the swans FA cup game he would not take a proper goal kick and just kept passing it to Elphic and then in the second half when he did try some he put them out wide three times :oops:

We haven't had a keeper who could kick with any accuracy since before Bosnich at least.

He's no Bert Trautmann that's for sure. From the slow motions it looked fairly innocuous. Hope Steer plays for a bit now.

He's no Bert Trautmann that's for sure. From the slow motions it looked fairly innocuous. Hope Steer plays for a bit now.

To be fair , I had a similar knock playing cricket as it happened. Turned out I had fractured my skull.

Looking like another sum of money pissed up the wall, £7m was it?

Etheridge from Cardiff being touted as a replacement. The princely sum of £10m will apparently secure his services.

We are getting through more keepers than Lambert got through shite left backs.

Steer, Nyland, Bunn, Kalinic, Sarkic (on the bench) have all appeared for villa in the last 12 months, with potentially another one for next season.

If the rumours we are ready to bin him off are true we need to get the p45 for the goalkeeping scout

Just hope we don't follow the bookies' line and get tempted with Joe Hart - to take an old Hollies song 'King Midas in Reverse'. Everything he touches (or doesn't) turns to poop.

Had thought about Fraser Forster, as he's behind Gunn and McCarthy at Southampton, but had been a good perrformer in the past. However, I seem to recall he was on a long and lucrative deal - £60-70K p.w., so that would put us off I guess.

Etheridge did perform well last term, but we can't be drawn in to paying daft money.

Darlow, Woodman?

WIll there likely be interest in Nyland and Kalinic?

Just hope we don't follow the bookies' line and get tempted with Joe Hart - to take an old Hollies song 'King Midas in Reverse'. Everything he touches (or doesn't) turns to poop.

Had thought about Fraser Forster, as he's behind Gunn and McCarthy at Southampton, but had been a good perrformer in the past. However, I seem to recall he was on a long and lucrative deal - £60-70K p.w., so that would put us off I guess.

Etheridge did perform well last term, but we can't be drawn in to paying daft money.

Darlow, Woodman?

WIll there likely be interest in Nyland and Kalinic?

Burnley have 3 international keepers so out of them I'd prefer Pope or Heaton. Or either of Mccarthy or Gunn to Forster. How about Mignolet off the scousers?

I could see Deano thinking it was a mistake for the club to sign Kalinic and sending him out on loan or maybe even sell him?

That leaves Steer who has grabbed his chance well with some great saves and of course, the hero of the penalty shot out.

However personally, I'm not letting sentimentality get in the way and while I consider him a good number 2 back up keeper however his overall game isn't what I would call 100% consistent and he does have some dodgy distribution moments as well.

I think we need a big, commanding number one keeper that is used to English football and preferably has already played in the Premier League.

Just my own opinion of course and I would expect plenty will disagree but hey, that's Vital Villa forum for you:throw:

I don't get this discussion at all.

Kalinic was signed in January - DS had been with us for 3 months by then so he must have approved the transfer. Kalinic started almost immediately (and only played 6 or 7 matches) but got injured v West Brom. Steer came in, played exceptionally well and DS showed loyalty and consistency by letting him keep his place when Kalinic recovered.

Steer certainly deserves a chance to carry on, and Kalinic is the Croatian national goalkeeper, so to suggest he is not good enough for the Premier League is nonsense. He won't be canned after 7 games unless he wants to move for some reason.

Maybe DS was unable to stop the transfer because it had already been agreed?

I think the discussion could be about if DS now personally rates him or not?

Time will tell.

Aston Villa[edit]
"On 21 December 2018, English Championship side Aston Villa announced that they had reached an agreement with Gent to sign Kalinić at the start of the January transfer window. [10] He officially joined on 1 January 2019. His debut was in a 3–0 defeat in a home FA Cup tie against Swansea City.[11] His league debut was in another 3–0 defeat, this time against Wigan Athletic, which was followed by a 2–2 draw with Hull City – meaning that Kalinić had conceded 8 goals in his first 3 games".[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovre_Kalinić

Last edited:
Maybe DS was unable to stop the transfer because it had already been agreed?

Aston Villa[edit]
"On 21 December 2018, English Championship side Aston Villa announced that they had reached an agreement with Gent to sign Kalinić at the start of the January transfer window. [10] He officially joined on 1 January 2019. His debut was in a 3–0 defeat in a home FA Cup tie against Swansea City.[11] His league debut was in another 3–0 defeat, this time against Wigan Athletic, which was followed by a 2–2 draw with Hull City – meaning that Kalinić had conceded 8 goals in his first 3 games".[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovre_Kalinić

DS was still the head coach at that stage. I don't believe for a second he didn't want Kalinic.

It's all speculation isn't it - we'll soon find out if we're going to spunk £30m on someone like Butland (spoiler alert: we won't).

I’m not sure any keepers being linked are any better than Steer. If he’s got the right CB pairing in front of him it will go a long way to helping him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kalinic wanted a move, if he’s on the bench then he’s likely to lose his spot as Croatia number one