The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 78 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

Crap penalty but he was the spark that helped us get to the point where we actually occasionally threatened them. Huge player for us at the moment.
I got the impression last night that he has become the new Jack Grealish.

IE just get the ball to Leon and see what magic he can produce.

Edit: The video below is of Leon telling the players not to the heads drop after the second went in and that we had time. Leon changed the game in more ways than one.

I saw that but didn't mention. He shouted hey about 4 times from memory until he'd got attention - that was a paper note in the sock (for those old enough) from Unai for me.

But you are right, it shows his growing importance as they listened and he then performed himself.

I miss the days of him defensively nutmegging people for giggles, but he's twice the player now without the unproductive (but entertaining) showboating.

I got the impression last night that he has become the new Jack Grealish.

IE just get the ball to Leon and see what magic he can produce.

Teams are doubling up on him now. I've only ever seen them doing that to Jack. Unbelievable considering his form before.

He might get that move to Real Madrid in the end.

8 months ago, he was shit.

We used to play teams like Bournemouth and get rolled over easily. There isn't a player in their squad that is better than ours and yet they would show up at Villa Park and outplay us.

Unai has instilled a level of belief in these players that looks like Utd under Fergie. They know they can win every game. When we go a goal down, we don't panic. It's amazing to see and long may it continue.

Unai has instilled a level of belief in these players that looks like Utd under Fergie. They know they can win every game. When we go a goal down, we don't panic. It's amazing to see and long may it continue.
I don't even panic anymore, there have been at least 5 games this season I've sat there and expected us to score to either level or win games. Used to be the opposite, we'd sit there 1-0 up with 20 to go expecting to concede.

The Mostar game at VP I knew we'd win it. Something that wasn't intuitive before was that when you're the more dominant and the better team, sometimes its about waiting for a mistake. Its why City and United would win so late, they were so good and so dominant you had to be immaculate to win or draw.

We're very close to that. If you slip up 9/10 we'll capitalize on it especially late on. Happened to Lille, a seemingly insignificant mistake ends up in the back of the net. On the other side you have games like Bournemouth away and Luton away where our late goals were just touches of quality from Diaby, pinpoint crosses.

Top teams know the game isn't over until the whistle is blown and I think the players have learned that.

I don't even panic anymore, there have been at least 5 games this season I've sat there and expected us to score to either level or win games. Used to be the opposite, we'd sit there 1-0 up with 20 to go expecting to concede.

The Mostar game at VP I knew we'd win it. Something that wasn't intuitive before was that when you're the more dominant and the better team, sometimes its about waiting for a mistake. Its why City and United would win so late, they were so good and so dominant you had to be immaculate to win or draw.

We're very close to that. If you slip up 9/10 we'll capitalize on it especially late on. Happened to Lille, a seemingly insignificant mistake ends up in the back of the net. On the other side you have games like Bournemouth away and Luton away where our late goals were just touches of quality from Diaby, pinpoint crosses.

Top teams know the game isn't over until the whistle is blown and I think the players have learned that.

Cool, isn't it?

I wonder when it will feel normal that we are a top team.