The Jonathan Kodjia Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Jonathan Kodjia Thread

2 ankle brakes since that great season might Be the issue .
Then again £12m to a Huddersfield or Burnley of this world is loose change

In the current market he's worth more than we paid for him. He's a better player now for a start.

Why give him away? It's not like he's disruptive.
For me I thought we paid probably twice his value at time, and now his best form was 2 years ago, he’s now nearing 30 and isn’t even guaranteed a spot in our side and we are mid table championship so I struggle to understand the £15m+ value. Maybe £5m is a bit low but £7m would be a reasonable offer for him - if one of our championship rivals was interested yes I’d bump that up to £10m

Due to amortisation, £6m will represent a small profit, so anything up from there would be a bonus. Still think he's fine until seasons end.

Don't get it. Had a very good first season which probably saved Bruce's bacon. Second was dominated by a nasty injury which regressed on his attempted come back, so when he came back he was treated with kid gloves, very wise. It takes time to get back to original form after that sequence of injuries.

I think he's grown in confidence that he's over the injuries, which will always be at the back of a player's mind. He's fitted in with Smith's plans, which involves not playing in his usual role. When he comes off the bench he adds something to the game. I think his game has improved; he does involve others, and if he does sometimes shoot rather than pass, then he's by no means the only one and in his case it's more justified. After all, in spite of his contributions else where, how many failed shots does McGinn clock up. Or Barney. If Abraham got injured then he's by far the leading candidate to take over.

Doubt if he's on Smith's list to move on.

Reports say SCO Angers may want him back.
If true maybe they could be perseuded to let us have Baptiste Santamaria as part of the fee.
Santamaria is one of the DM's we were possibly interested in prior to the window opening.
If we did get him we could get rid of two out of Jedinak, Whelan and Bjarnason.

I'm not sure that any club in France could afford to pay him anywhere near what we're paying him, bar PSG, Lyon, Monaco, Marseille and Nice. He's got to be on 40bodd grand a week. I doubt he's going anywhere till the summer.

I doubt he'd even want to move back to France yet. More money to be made in England and he's not quality enough to be picked up by the Wealthier French teams. I'd keep him anyway.

Don't get it. Had a very good first season which probably saved Bruce's bacon. Second was dominated by a nasty injury which regressed on his attempted come back, so when he came back he was treated with kid gloves, very wise. It takes time to get back to original form after that sequence of injuries.

I think he's grown in confidence that he's over the injuries, which will always be at the back of a player's mind. He's fitted in with Smith's plans, which involves not playing in his usual role. When he comes off the bench he adds something to the game. I think his game has improved; he does involve others, and if he does sometimes shoot rather than pass, then he's by no means the only one and in his case it's more justified. After all, in spite of his contributions else where, how many failed shots does McGinn clock up. Or Barney. If Abraham got injured then he's by far the leading candidate to take over.

Doubt if he's on Smith's list to move on.

Spot on.

This 'lazy' thing is actually people being 'lazy' in analysing Kodjia's game. Easy thing to say but actually doesn't really get quantified properly.
I think people confuse being lazy with a playing style or the way he moves.
Let's be honest if he was 'lazy' then I doubt very much he would have made a career out of playing at a high level of professional football would he?. If he was lazy or didn't give a shit he would have been weeded out of the game long ago. I know a GK who is 16 and has not long been let go by us due to attitude . Club's do not mess around at this level.

To be honest I think Kodjia is one of the least of our problems player wise. More pressing matters of urgency to deal with. In no particular order.
Taylor
Hutton
Hogan
Barney
Hourihane
Adomah
Whelan
Jedi
Elphick
Nyland
Moira Stewart or whatever his name is .

Spot on.

To be honest I think Kodjia is one of the least of our problems player wise. More pressing matters of urgency to deal with. In no particular order.
Taylor
Hutton
Hogan
Barney
Hourihane
Adomah
Whelan
Jedi
Elphick
Nyland

Selfish and a lack of defensive teamwork is what I would say - defensively he leaves a lot to be desired and doesnt put in the shift. Equally he just isnt that sort of player so I wouldnt judge him too harshly because of this. You just have to know when to play him and when not to second half against Leeds it was 100% right to pull him off because he wasnt tracking back but against poorer attacking teams maybe you dont need that.

I dont think Kodjia will be around too long especially if a semi decent offer comes in. DS is using him but ultimately he doesnt fit the style. He'll want guys who's teamwork and work rate are 100% in attack and defence.

The bigger picture being that we are a shambles all over the pitch if we are highlighting our forward players needing to help out defensively so much.

I would prefer that we are sorted defensively and in midfield giving the forwards, such as kodjia, the licence to do what they are there to do.

I'd say his "failings" are harshly put considering his talent has made him adaptable. To me he is a striker and that's where he'll revel. He's probably rarely ever done tracking back in his career until 18 months ago!

I'm a fan but likewise, if we're to play the system we have, it's impossible to drop Tammy currently based on his record. If Tammy was absent at any point though, Kodj is who I'd replace with. I'd also be intrigued to see them as a duo working together, but our apparent necessity to play 3 in midfield makes that opportunity a slim one.

I thought he looked OK when we shifted to a 4-4-2 set up in the last 15 minutes against Hull. If the midfield put in more of a shift, ( McGinn excused), he and Tammy could could concentrate on forming more of a partnership and occupy the opposition's midfielders and defence more effectively.

Spot on.

This 'lazy' thing is actually people being 'lazy' in analysing Kodjia's game. Easy thing to say but actually doesn't really get quantified properly.
Let's be honest if he was 'lazy' then I doubt very much he would have made a career out of playing at a high level of professional football would he?. If he was lazy or didn't give a shit he would have been weeded out of the game long ago. I know a GK who is 16 and has not long been let go by us due to attitude . Club's do not mess around at this level.

Taylor
Hutton
Hogan
Barney
Hourihane
Adomah
Whelan
Jedi
Elphick
Nyland
And RICHARDS, MCCORMACK