The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 9 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we don’t sign any players from Rangers just to placate to Gerrard. We should only be looking at signings to immediately improve the squad, not gambles on Scottish based players who may or may not make the huge step up in quality to the PL. From time to time there are decent players who emerge up there but I think it’s the exception rather than the rule

I think we should just try and get Tarkowski - he usually plays left side of the Burnley backline too. If its us or Newcastle all they can do is offer silly wages but they'll come unstuck if they make that standard practice. TBF now we've Gerrard I think we've a little bit of extra leverage. I love Deano but he wasnt tipping the scales for many players.

A solid reliable centre-back beside our Rolls Royce would be immense. He'd be with the spammers now if Burnley weren't looking for 50MM+
Not sure on Tarkowski, I think he’s just a big lump who does well for Burnley but would probably be found out at a side that actually wants to play football and doesn’t resort to just kicking lumps off the opposition. The fact he can’t get in the England squad is a bit telling - he did make the squad once or twice but was never asked back, even when there’s been injuries.

Think/hope the Rangers links are click bait. Gerrard's in a different market now and I think he knows it. Remember when Lambert came Grant Holt was supposed to be signing but he wasn't (although he did 2 years later when he was past it).

Not sure on Tarkowski, I think he’s just a big lump who does well for Burnley but would probably be found out at a side that actually wants to play football and doesn’t resort to just kicking lumps off the opposition. The fact he can’t get in the England squad is a bit telling - he did make the squad once or twice but was never asked back, even when there’s been injuries.

Tarks is a player and was skipper for Oldham by 21. Burnley is the right fit for his physical qualities but not his playing ones, he shone more at Brentford on that front whilst also keeping things simple when needed.

At 28 though now, it's a boat missed...we should be looking for the next one.

Tarks is a player and was skipper for Oldham by 21. Burnley is the right fit for his physical qualities but not his playing ones, he shone more at Brentford on that front whilst also keeping things simple when needed.

At 28 though now, it's a boat missed...we should be looking for the next one.

No I think he fits. Nice stop gap for 2 years so Ezri can step to captaincy later and a new Konsa arrives on the scene.

Get with the time mate , scouts are all on their PlayStations looking at stats

I was thinking of getting Football Manager 22 but those games are so time consuming. It looks super football nerdy though, right up my street.

If I get it, I'll be recommending all kinds of players from the Belgian 3rd division.

I'm going to be controversial and say that we don't need any new players, just improve the ones we've got. Individually they all seem the right level (maybe Targett this year) but they have never consistently come together as a team. I get that people like new shiny things, but unless it is a sensational signing (doubt it in January) I'd like Steven Gerrard to prove he's got the "stuff" that can take us forward.

I was thinking of getting Football Manager 22 but those games are so time consuming. It looks super football nerdy though, right up my street.

If I get it, I'll be recommending all kinds of players from the Belgian 3rd division.

Yep my lad discovered loads of future stars on his 25 or more years ago

We need a left back. We can't afford for Targett to have one season on, one season off. Full backs were important to the way Deano had us playing and they'll be at least as important under Gerrard, based on his Rangers side and the fact he's learnt under Klopp at Plop.

Midfield's a weird one. If Sanson can get fit and play up to his reputation from Marseille, Luiz keeps his levels of the early season, McGinn remembers how to pass and Ramsey keeps kicking on, I think we look okay in midfield. The big worry is McGinn as his passing has always gone through phases and I think he might be finding his limits in the PL.

I think at the moment I have grave concerns over Targett and Watkins. Both have had rotten seasons and if they don't turn their form around we will need to think about replacing them at some point over the next two windows. I'm singling these out as their standard of performances this season have been woefully short of the quality required at this level and they have both let us down substantially on the pitch.

Other than that I think we should always be in the market for better players, so if one becomes available under the right circumstances then we should be looking to improve on what we have.

The only player we have who is actually irreplaceable is Martinez, the rest are pretty much fair game.

Lingard's going cheap.
When motivated a brilliant talent.
When not......
Inclined to think that after a promising start, like Barkley, would taper off.

Lingard's going cheap.
When motivated a brilliant talent.
When not......
Inclined to think that after a promising start, like Barkley, would taper off.
Decent player but wrong type of midfielder for us at this time. Need someone who can dominate the game not a lightweight attacking type

I think at the moment I have grave concerns over Targett and Watkins. Both have had rotten seasons and if they don't turn their form around we will need to think about replacing them at some point over the next two windows. I'm singling these out as their standard of performances this season have been woefully short of the quality required at this level and they have both let us down substantially on the pitch.

Other than that I think we should always be in the market for better players, so if one becomes available under the right circumstances then we should be looking to improve on what we have.

The only player we have who is actually irreplaceable is Martinez, the rest are pretty much fair game.
Both had terrible pre-seasons ruined by injury which disrupted the start of the season - Targett in particular was nowhere near fit. Then afterwards both suffered again this time with the terrible tactical 3-5-2 system

Status
Not open for further replies.