The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 10 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both had terrible pre-seasons ruined by injury which disrupted the start of the season - Targett in particular was nowhere near fit. Then afterwards both suffered again this time with the terrible tactical 3-5-2 system
Yes get that but they have been diabolical and now have to show they are good enough for us. Excuse time is over.

Both had terrible pre-seasons ruined by injury which disrupted the start of the season - Targett in particular was nowhere near fit. Then afterwards both suffered again this time with the terrible tactical 3-5-2 system
Agreed. Good players don't go bad for no reason and last season both were very good. The answer is to get them back to where they were or even better.

I don’t get the no preseason thing for an established player. At a professional level, elite sportsmen in their 20’s should be able to get up to match fitness within 3 games comfortably. Targett’s problem might be to do with his diet or perhaps he’s not putting it in when the games take a break. He should be offering himself up for the rezzers to get his fitness up. James Milner is built like Matty T but he manages to live and breath his healthy lifestyle, Matty T seems to enjoy Salt Bae a bit too much

Central midfield and left back need to be priority in January. As for Targett I'd be making him lose at least a stone in weight and up his fitness levels , they are miles off the pace

I don’t get the no preseason thing for an established player. At a professional level, elite sportsmen in their 20’s should be able to get up to match fitness within 3 games comfortably. Targett’s problem might be to do with his diet or perhaps he’s not putting it in when the games take a break. He should be offering himself up for the rezzers to get his fitness up. James Milner is built like Matty T but he manages to live and breath his healthy lifestyle, Matty T seems to enjoy Salt Bae a bit too much
Targett didn’t have 3 games in pre season

Targett spent all summer in a protective boot from getting injured v Chelsea in the last game of the season so really has been playing catch up all season.

Targett didn’t have 3 games in pre season

I mean any 3 games. I get pre season was disrupted but he’s played 10 games this season, and barely looks fit to me. You can’t go the whole season putting form and fitness down to pre-season, we had all this with Bert last season.

I think a few people have switched their view to Matty being a “good player who’s underperforming”, however I’m probably more of the “very average player who over performed last season”.

I mean any 3 games. I get pre season was disrupted but he’s played 10 games this season, and barely looks fit to me. You can’t go the whole season putting form and fitness down to pre-season, we had all this with Bert last season.

I think a few people have switched their view to Matty being a “good player who’s underperforming”, however I’m probably more of the “very average player who over performed last season”.
I said his preparation was disrupted and then afterwards he got caught up in that god damn awful 3-5-2 system which didn’t suit his game at all and was clearly ill-prepared by the coaches (hence getting sacked for it). He’s not been at the same level for sure but we should try to get his confidence up, better tactical strategy and / or coaching and hopefully we’ll see the same player we saw last year

I said his preparation was disrupted and then afterwards he got caught up in that god damn awful 3-5-2 system which didn’t suit his game at all and was clearly ill-prepared by the coaches (hence getting sacked for it). He’s not been at the same level for sure but we should try to get his confidence up, better tactical strategy and / or coaching and hopefully we’ll see the same player we saw last year

My response was more a general Targett annoyance I see, just jumped on the back of your post on the topic (wasn’t trying to pick apart your post). Perhaps he needs confidence, perhaps he could do with a bit of a talking to about his health and lifestyle as a professional, if he wants to play at the top of the game for the next 7-8 years.

I haven’t got as much time for some of the more likeable players as some, either he needs to step back up or we’ll need to be ruthless with our transfers and improve or they’ll get us relegated. It’s that continuous improvement we need, standing still is going backwards

Last edited:

Is there a Muttley emoji?

I would prefer the Kamara from Marseille.

Really good call mate. He fills the criteria we've been using.
He main position is one we need a huge improvement in, Defensive Midfield. His secondary position, Central Defender, is one we need to strengthen as well.
He's young, 21/22, an under 21 France international, with room for improvement. He's predominately right-footed I think and he's out of contract in the summer, I think, so is allowed to sign pre-contract forms if moving on in the summer. Of course he'll be reasonably cheap if being bought in Jan.
Valued around the 30 million Euro mark I believe.

Think Targett showed last season he could step up his game; he wasn't player of the year for nothing. The summer in a boot clearly showed; how on earth DS could play him in the first game of the season is beyond me. I trust Gerrard & Co to sort out his fitness and I think Gerrard's liking for 4-3-3 will suit him.

My response was more a general Targett annoyance I see, just jumped on the back of your post on the topic (wasn’t trying to pick apart your post). Perhaps he needs confidence, perhaps he could do with a bit of a talking to about his health and lifestyle as a professional, if he wants to play at the top of the game for the next 7-8 years.

I haven’t got as much time for some of the more likeable players as some, either he needs to step back up or we’ll need to be ruthless with our transfers and improve or they’ll get us relegated. It’s that continuous improvement we need, standing still is going backwards
We can make all the excuses in the world. I get that the season hasn't been easy for some but that doesn't excuse not being able to do the basics, which is something Watkins and Targett have struggled with. Both have had enough starts to get going more than they have.

Hopefully they improve dramatically under SG, if they don't, they'll be out.

Really good call mate. He fills the criteria we've been using.
He main position is one we need a huge improvement in, Defensive Midfield. His secondary position, Central Defender, is one we need to strengthen as well.
He's young, 21/22, an under 21 France international, with room for improvement. He's predominately right-footed I think and he's out of contract in the summer, I think, so is allowed to sign pre-contract forms if moving on in the summer. Of course he'll be reasonably cheap if being bought in Jan.
Valued around the 30 million Euro mark I believe.

You must be Transfermarkt.co.uk 's biggest customer.

:whist:

I don’t think he’s unfit I think he’s just massively out of form. Players can look very sluggish when they’re not up to it. Like he could probably run a marathon tomorrow and be grand. If he was unfit he wouldn’t be able to finish games.

Now it’s also possible he over performed last year. I think our entire back line over performed last season and Martinez also made them look so good. We’ve reverted back to the mean. We must have had a 20 goal reduction in goals conceded between last season and the one before.

IMO I also think we stopped focusing on having a solid platform and started to focus more on the toe to toe shit Dean kept rolling back out.

Next summer a LB and CB I am sure will be on our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.