The James Chester Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The James Chester Thread

I still remember the acrobatic clearance off the line he did last season. I like Chester a lot but unfortunately not quite good enough for this league. Harsh but fair

The big problem for Chesie is that he'll be hard-pressed to play anywhere else due to the knee and passing a medical. I for one, have no problem with him running down his contract with Villa. He is a top pro and a top bloke and unlike the likes of N'Zogbia, McGatemack etc. he isn't taking the proverbial....

Yep, you never get the impression he will do anything other than give everything. Has a big role within the team regardless - keep everyone else honest. Not a legend, but will always be remembered.

Think all this is writing Chester down somewhat. He's had a good few years as a leading Welsh international including those where Wales was riding high. He was a rock for us over the first two years in the Championship. Thought he looked fit and able in his one pre-season match.

How much his knee can stand is a different matter. We know that God managed, and Laursen did for a while. I suspect he can still play a part if called upon. Like those two, he has experience and a wise head.

I still remember the acrobatic clearance off the line he did last season. I like Chester a lot but unfortunately not quite good enough for this league. Harsh but fair
He was brilliant that night but that was his only great game he had last season for me.

He was brilliant that night but that was his only great game he had last season for me.

I think another 6 months without him playing and he'll be up there with Mellberg and McGrath, nothing against him he did a good job but having seen Mings, it's made me realise how much we have slipped,

Yep, seems like a top bloke, but not Premiership standard anymore.
He also can't play the way Deano likes his CB's to play - not his fault.
I genuinely think that he's been kept around for his off field impact and as a bit of loyalty for last season. He'll be gone next summer, if not January.

Don't think Deano does loyalty bonuses. Keeping Chester gives him that bit of extra insurance across the back line. Maybe he's not ideal for Deano's style, but thought he looked fine when he played for us in pre-season and once he's fit again he'll do a job for us if needed.

Don't think Deano does loyalty bonuses. Keeping Chester gives him that bit of extra insurance across the back line. Maybe he's not ideal for Deano's style, but thought he looked fine when he played for us in pre-season and once he's fit again he'll do a job for us if needed.
You never know. DS inherited one CB who was injured (or about to be). He carried on til we got reinforcements. Either a deal or DS is returning the loyalty shown. Either way both come out of this looking good in my book.

DS strikes me as a the kind of chap who'd honour Chester taking the risk in terms of not bombing him out and keeping him involved and giving him Cup games etc. But if we got an offer, I think he's off.

Difference is, we won't push him out to return the thanks - which is fine by me. I'd be surprised if he got a new deal though, but I think plenty overplay his pace/distribution. That's where the experience comes in if he's 100%.

Chester is top class and has been the most consistent performer since we got relegated. Fans have short memories.
Don't think his service to the club or his consistency is in doubt. Just not suited to a Dean Smith style. Think Mings and Engels are better suited, more complete footballers. This doesn't detract in any way what he has done for the club.

Fantastic news, its not like we wont lose a defender or two during the season through Injury.