The James Chester Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The James Chester Thread

Class player. Better at scoring goals than any of our current CBs. Reads the game well. Not really suited to Dean's approach, for which he lacks speed a bit.

Did a great job for us, not least when he kept on playing when injured, when he was the only CB we had fit or not (thanks Bruce).

Hope all goes well and he ends up with a good career to look back on. May yet play for Wales again. All the best Chessie.

Class player. Better at scoring goals than any of our current CBs. Reads the game well. Not really suited to Dean's approach, for which he lacks speed a bit.

Did a great job for us, not least when he kept on playing when injured, when he was the only CB we had fit or not (thanks Bruce).

Hope all goes well and he ends up with a good career to look back on. May yet play for Wales again. All the best Chessie.

This.

Hope he goes onto to play regularly again. A man who put his career on the line for the club. Watching him make a perfectly timed tackle to rob an onrushing forward was a thing of beauty. Good luck.

Strange to let him go without replacing, nice touch from the Villa all things considered but lost a good player and great character around the dressing room / training pitch.

Personally think a bad decision but hope it works out for him.

Hope he goes onto to play regularly again. A man who put his career on the line for the club. Watching him make a perfectly timed tackle to rob an onrushing forward was a thing of beauty. Good luck.
My lasting memory of Chessie was when he tried to knock Jack out as they lifted the play off trophy.

For me, he was our player of the season in both of our 1st two in the Championship, in our 3rd he showed incredible character, loyalty, determination & bravery to play through the pain barrier.

Best wishes Chessie, a true professional, not many put the good of their club before themselves.

Although plenty of Aston Villa fans were happy to see James Chester depart for a loan spell with Stoke City during the January transfer window, there were certainly a number of fans who were sad to see our club captain move on after his efforts in our shirt and the problems he gave himself by battling through the pain barrier when we amateurishly left ourselves woefully short at the back in the first half of the 2018/19 campaign.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...lla-loanee-lauded-after-impressive-club-debut

Just saw that Chessie has had his official farewell message from the club. Have to say that he leaves with much appreciation and well wishes. He played on through an injury for half-a-season last year and never moaned or rocked the boat. Classy bloke and a very good player and I hope he gets a move that suits him....

Just saw that Chessie has had his official farewell message from the club. Have to say that he leaves with much appreciation and well wishes. He played on through an injury for half-a-season last year and never moaned or rocked the boat. Classy bloke and a very good player and I hope he gets a move that suits him....
Yes, definitely my 'favourite' player of the wilderness years of the Championship. Probably deserved a better end to his time with us, but if he does end at Stoke permanently, I hope they take good care of the lad. Top pro.

Chezzas time here will be remembered by most fans with affection. One of the standout players who gave his all when we were slumming it in the championship. Good luck and best wishes to him.

JT in an interview a few months ago was asked what surprised him when he came to Villa and he said straight off Chessie. He'd heard of him before but that was it. Said top player, top bloke, class. You could tell he meant it.

Still think he could have done a pretty good job for us. Whatever, all the best Chessie.