The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 279 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

When sky realised they can milk more money out of this situation, cash is playing well made one really good last ditch challenge.

TAA is the only one ahead of him on his recent showing.

Class player and some of the residents experts said he was shit CP, just as they do Yates, Grabban, Joe etc etc

I rate Cash very highly, but come on, you can’t start putting Yates in the same bracket as Lolley or Grabban - he’s done absolutely nothing to merit being put in a bracket with those two.

I’m not dismissive of anybody but he’s been okay... long way to go before I’m convinced he’s our best option in the middle.

I rate Cash very highly, but come on, you can’t start putting Yates in the same bracket as Lolley or Grabban - he’s done absolutely nothing to merit being put in a bracket with those two.

I’m not dismissive of anybody but he’s been okay... long way to go before I’m convinced he’s our best option in the middle.
Yates is a fantastic player and if we develop him right will be the next one we sell for big money.

He will get even better alongside better players.

Some people only focus on when Grabban misses a chance; no doubt they would rate a striker higher if he wasn't good enough to get in position to miss in the first place. Perhaps the sort of people who would believe Trump's idea that if America didn't test so much they wouldn't have as many Covid cases.

Likewise, some only seem to focus on the times Yates misses a pass or the things he can't do (often stuff he's not even meant to be doing).

Yates has bad games and can be ineffective in some. Even I was hoping to see someone else in his spot at the end of last season because we needed people with a bit more attacking impact.

But he has come on even in these last three months and we look a better side with him in it

Yates is a fantastic player and if we develop him right will be the next one we sell for big money.

He will get even better alongside better players.

Some people only focus on when Grabban misses a chance; no doubt they would rate a striker higher if he wasn't good enough to get in position to miss in the first place. Perhaps the sort of people who would believe Trump's idea that if America didn't test so much they wouldn't have as many Covid cases.

Likewise, some only seem to focus on the times Yates misses a pass or the things he can't do (often stuff he's not even meant to be doing).

Yates has bad games and can be ineffective in some. Even I was hoping to see someone else in his spot at the end of last season because we needed people with a bit more attacking impact.

But he has come on even in these last three months and we look a better side with him in it

Yates is a player I WANT to really like - combative, forest fan from the academy, but I just don’t really see what makes him a ‘fantastic’ player.

He works hard, he can make a good tackle no doubt, but I’m never particularly convinced by his positional sense, his passing for me isn’t particularly expansive and I think he gives away ridiculous fouls that don’t need to be committed as a result of being slow.

He’s not disciplined enough to be the main holding man, he’s not expansive enough to dictate the midfield and he’s not skillful enough to be a serious attacking threat (although he can grab the odd goal to be fair), so I genuinely couldn’t say we’re a better team with him in it.

Is there a player in there? Yes of course and I certainly haven’t written him off, but I really think he has a long way to go before I believe he can be core player in a promotion chasing team.... in my opinion of course!

Yates is a player I WANT to really like - combative, forest fan from the academy, but I just don’t really see what makes him a ‘fantastic’ player.

He works hard, he can make a good tackle no doubt, but I’m never particularly convinced by his positional sense, his passing for me isn’t particularly expansive and I think he gives away ridiculous fouls that don’t need to be committed as a result of being slow.

He’s not disciplined enough to be the main holding man, he’s not expansive enough to dictate the midfield and he’s not skillful enough to be a serious attacking threat (although he can grab the odd goal to be fair), so I genuinely couldn’t say we’re a better team with him in it.

Is there a player in there? Yes of course and I certainly haven’t written him off, but I really think he has a long way to go before I believe he can be core player in a promotion chasing team.... in my opinion of course!
Totally agree. He is far, far away from being a fantastic footballer. Right now he is bang average. Like you I want to like and support him, and hope he develops. He is not worthy of a starting place, but I would rather him be around the squad and develop over Fred and Cafu types.
We are finally getting a great squad together and he should be part of it 100%.
All points you made are accurate for now, and here's hoping he can get more confidence and settle into a defined role. He's certainly young enough to become a good and effective player

Yates is a big lad who can help dominate the middle, he's getting better at not diving in, he's reading things better and his passing while not exciting does normally find a team mate and keeps possession. He's also got the knack of arriving in the box, be does need to work on his finishing as he generally has one good chance a game. Other teams are sniffing and most of our recent managers have picked him fairly often so he must be doing something right.

Must have missed something.
When do we have to name our 25 by?

According to Paul Taylor via an Athletic chat, the 25 player squad was merely a suggestion by the EFL, and won't be enforced...so all players in our Megatron squad are available.

There's a middle ground between fantastic and not worth his place in the team.

He's our highest rated player this season. Confortably the most successful tackler in the side. Solid pass rate, good interception rate, good clearance rate. He even offers a little going forward.

He has limitations but right now he's comfortably outperforming Colback for instance. He absolutely deserves to be alongside Arter as our central 2.

There's a middle ground between fantastic and not worth his place in the team.

He's our highest rated player this season. Confortably the most successful tackler in the side. Solid pass rate, good interception rate, good clearance rate. He even offers a little going forward.

He has limitations but right now he's comfortably outperforming Colback for instance. He absolutely deserves to be alongside Arter as our central 2.

I’d suggest that that’s a reflection of Colbacks poorer performances than how superior Yates is as a player. If you were to compare his impact to that of Watson, Sow or even Silva last season, then my opinion is that our midfield has declined - I think the results and the lack of dominance reflects that.

Having said that, he has outperformed Colback and therefore you could say he is worthy of a place, but I still think his best this season is only a shadow of the form last seasons holding two showed.

Perhaps the stats don’t favour my argument, but having watched his play as a fan and I suppose the results - him and Colback need to improve for us to have the kind of midfield we had last season.

Be interesting to see out of him, Colback and Arter, who the favoured pair are.

Last edited:
Every comment from a manager I’ve seen about Yates (not just at Forest but also from his loan spells) suggest he has a fantastic attitude. If Hughton continues to trust him, he’ll develop significantly, and by the end of the season the fact that some didn’t rate him will become a bit of a joke repeated by the same people who lay into him at the moment on Twitter.

Most of the negative comments being aimed at Yates now were being aimed at John McGovern 40 odd years ago, and he didn't do too badly for us & indeed others. Both he & Brian Clough knew he wasn't the most gifted technically, but still a vital cog in the team. I believe Clough used to tell him it was his job to win the ball then give it to someone who could be more creative.
Please get off Yates' back and give him chance to develop, he is still learning and will have poorer games

Thing with Yates...is he coachable

I would suggest he has the attributes to kick on and be a very solid midfielder and with decent manager we may see the best from him

yes he will still dive in and silly challenges etc but I think that’s who he is

Most of the negative comments being aimed at Yates now were being aimed at John McGovern 40 odd years ago, and he didn't do too badly for us & indeed others. Both he & Brian Clough knew he wasn't the most gifted technically, but still a vital cog in the team. I believe Clough used to tell him it was his job to win the ball then give it to someone who could be more creative.
Please get off Yates' back and give him chance to develop, he is still learning and will have poorer games

Nobodies on his back - I just raised concerns about how comparable he was to our best midfield last season. It’s a forum and discussing opinion on a player is part of what makes it a forum.

I hope he becomes brilliant for us, but in my opinion, he’s a long way off that at the moment based on where we want to go as a club.